Glad to get off the snide, but was it worth it?

MC Hamburg

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We will have missed it because we chose to. The Bills have the cap space to pay Cousins or the draft capital to move way up. Maybe they decide that it’s a price that they don’t WANT to pay but it isn’t a price that the CAN’T pay. 

I think Denver or Cleveland. The Browns can just hand him a check and Denver has to do something. 

I'm not sure the Bills can outbid Denver for Cousins' services, TBH.

Again, two to tango. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

They can outbid Denver but not he Browns. Cousins will be a FA though so he calls his own shot. 

That's my point.  If your plan 1A is Cousins and he would rather take less to play for Denver, you're onto plan 1B.  If your plan 1B is Darnold and the Colts find a better trade partner or don't want to trade at all, you're on plan C.  Which is McCown, 2 bodies, and a couple of DL in the first.

We don't control our own destiny here by a longshot.  You know what team can pick anybody they want?  The one with pick #1.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

That's my point.  If your plan 1A is Cousins and he would rather take less to play for Denver, you're onto plan 1B.  If your plan 1B is Darnold and the Colts find a better trade partner or don't want to trade at all, you're on plan C.  Which is McCown, 2 bodies, and a couple of DL in the first.

We don't control our own destiny here by a longshot.  You know what team can pick anybody they want?  The one with pick #1.

So your goal was to be 0-16 and hope to win a coin flip? That’s a good strategy.

If your plan A was Cousins and he picks Denver they become a viable trade partner. Cleveland has 2 top 5 picks and is an option. The Giants could be an option and the Colts definitely are. That’s 4 of the top 5 picks that you can work to swing a deal for. The Bills can throw in a mid-late round pick next year or a player if need be. Here is a look at the draft value chart that teams use:

Capture.PNG

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So your goal was to be 0-16 and hope to win a coin flip? That’s a good strategy.

If your plan A was Cousins and he picks Denver they become a viable trade partner. Cleveland has 2 top 5 picks and is an option. The Giants could be an option and the Colts definitely are. That’s 4 of the top 5 picks that you can work to swing a deal for. The Bills can throw in a mid-late round pick next year or a player if need be. Here is a look at the draft value chart that teams use:

Capture.PNG

And Smith to the Redskins removes one team I was worried about as competition for a big trade up. 

To me the 1st round QB market as of today is:

Cleveland

Question Mark - Giants

Broncos

Jets

Arizona

Buffalo

One of those takes Cousins and drops out of the running. So you are down to the Bills and 3 or 4 others. Cleveland with 1 and 4 control their own destiny so realistically the Bills competition for a Quarterback is minimum 2 teams and maximum 3 depending on the Giants (who I do not think will pick one at #2). 

The Bills have 2 firsts and 2 seconds in a draft hardly stacked with great positional player prospects to spend our picks on. 

A Buffalo Bills trade into the top 5 is a) very acheivable and b) pretty likely. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And Smith to the Redskins removes one team I was worried about as competition for a big trade up. 

Cleveland

Question Mark - Giants

Broncos

Jets

Arizona

Buffalo

One of those takes Cousins and drops out of the running. So you are down to the Bills and 3 or 4 others. Cleveland with 1 and 4 control their own destiny so realistically the Bills competition for a Quarterback is minimum 2 teams and maximum 3 depending on the Giants (who I do not think will pick one at #2). 

The Bills have 2 firsts and 2 seconds in a draft hardly stacked with great positional player prospects to spend our picks on. 

A Buffalo Bills trade into the top 5 is a) very acheivable and b) pretty likely. 

I like it.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Cleveland

Question Mark - Giants

Broncos

Jets

Arizona

Buffalo

I wonder if the Browns go hard for Cousins and trade the 1st overall pick? They can just throw him a ton of money. They'd still have the #4 pick and a chance to get Barkley.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I wonder if the Browns go hard for Cousins and trade the 1st overall pick? They can just throw him a ton of money. They'd still have the #4 pick and a chance to get Barkley.

Certainly possible. While that makes 1st tradeable that would likely cost us an additional #1 (our 2019 1st ) and it takes out of the QB sweepstakes a team who I don't really think the Bills are in competition with. Would be better for the Bills if he went to Denver IMO.  

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Cleveland

Question Mark - Giants

Broncos

Jets

Arizona

Buffalo

Thanks GB, those are my thoughts as well. I don’t think that the cost will be astronomical either because of the teams up there either. I think Cleveland & Indy would love 2 1sts (and maybe a player or 2019 pick) as opposed to Fitzpatrick or Chubb. 

I honestly thought that Smith was a viable option but that price is insane. The Redskins sent a pick and one of their best defensive players to the Chiefs for the right to make Alex Smith the 3rd highest paid player ever!! I like Smith too but can’t imagine what this does to Cousins price. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, MC Hamburg said:

This is why the Bills have never got a good QB since Kelly. Seems to me that over the years the Bills would be meddling in the middle of the pack with the average of roughly an 8-8 record give or take. We would never get a first/second overall pick because we would always be picking 10th -20th. We would never tank for a QB even though we have had plenty of chances to do so..... and to just lose out on the good QB by a few picks because we won just a little too much on another average year...here we go again...this was the year we were going to rebuild and have a pass with the new Coach and GM with Sam Darnold in site...but just like the rest of the years our timing was off again...now we pick 21/22 and there will not be a QB available because 21 teams before us lost more than us...seems like the same old scenario to me...bad timing or ignorance? let me know!

Absolutely worth it. 

Losers love losing.

Winning is not a switch you flip. You learn how to do it.

13 hours ago, MC Hamburg said:

This is why the Bills have never got a good QB since Kelly. Seems to me that over the years the Bills would be meddling in the middle of the pack with the average of roughly an 8-8 record give or take. We would never get a first/second overall pick because we would always be picking 10th -20th. We would never tank for a QB even though we have had plenty of chances to do so..... and to just lose out on the good QB by a few picks because we won just a little too much on another average year...here we go again...this was the year we were going to rebuild and have a pass with the new Coach and GM with Sam Darnold in site...but just like the rest of the years our timing was off again...now we pick 21/22 and there will not be a QB available because 21 teams before us lost more than us...seems like the same old scenario to me...bad timing or ignorance? let me know!

I would take this season 17 times way the hell before I would relive the last 17.

Edited by simool

13 hours ago, MC Hamburg said:

It is actually not bad at all. This is a very deep QB class. There is no top end QB talent this year in my opinion. The gap between the top eight guys is pretty small. I would much rather pick QB 5-8 in the first and second round this year than the top 4 guys in the top 15 picks. 

12 minutes ago, MC Hamburg said:

There we go... now the Redskins are picking a QB in draft before us also... so was it really worth getting to the playoffs?

Yes.  Especially when most of the QB's pick will be busts.