Trading a 1st round pick

CEN-CAL17

3 hours ago, Pbomb said:

So you are saying no teams will trade up with the bills because there is no talent to trade for but the bills are gonna trade up 

Yes that is correct. Teams don't really move in second half of first round. Teams will move for QBs. After the Bills only Jax is the QB needy team. I can see Bills moving to before them in order to have the fifth year option for the QB. 

3 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

We have plenty of high picks already this year.  I don't think I would trade down unless I was getting something for next year.  

How many rookies do you really want in 1 year?

I think this would be a good year to take on a number of rookies.  I think the expectations for the 2018 season are going to be modest.  It was like winning the lottery that the Bills made the playoffs last year and nobody expects that given the the stats that the offensive and defensive units had last year with no super star free agents coming in to bolster things. 

We're already set to have way more than our share . . .  And with most of them in the top of the draft a lot more are going to make the team.  

Our team really came together last year seems wiser to build upon that than trying to get even more 2 and 3 round picks. A lot of times those picks don't pan out, but they're also too high to move on from right away.

Probably the richest Qb draft in some time.  Buffalo has the most picks they have ever had.  Move up get a top qb.  Stil have a 2nd and 3rd to find two other positional starters.  Buffalo cant keep punting on qbs.  There are drafts when there are no clear first rd talents.  This year there is 4.  Buffalo needs to do what it takes to get one.

8 hours ago, White Linen said:

When you say fill needs - I assume you mean starting players?  That would be a tough thing to accomplish although I certainly understand the meaning of your post.  

You regularly get starters from 1st-3rd round.

I have said this before...they trade 2nd 1st down and pick up another 2nd/3rd round pick that is 6 players, sthey pick a qb with one who competes for a job, then with other 5 picks they get 4 starters by mid season.

With teams only have at most 4 years of team control uou don't sit on high picks.

Edited by djp14150

So many people think Rosen, Darnold, Allen and Mayfield are just sure in’s...

Darnold struggles a lot this year at times, Rosen had a bad game or two but is probably the most pro ready. Allen needs a lot of coaching and exposure to get where he needs to get but he’s got the most physical potential. Mayfield I think is going to struggle at times but is going to need a year or two behind someone.

Im just not as confident as most. Rosen And Darnold ok.., but it’s not gonna happen. Allen goes top 5 for sure and I don’t trade for Mayfield.

I’d be fine with Rudolph, Matt White, Kyle Lauletta or Luke Falk.

Gotta get a Vet though.

13 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I like a few others on here feel the Bills will try to trade down into the 2nd using one of their first to gain more picks.

Cleveland has picks 35 & 63 in the 2nd round. The value of those picks line up enough with our 22nd overall.

I would love to have picks 21, 35, 53, 55 & 63.

You sell it to Cleveland by saying “would you rather have 5 picks in the top 63... or 4 picks in the top 33?” That’s damn near 4 1st round picks.

But imagine if the Bills could fill there needs and have 5 picks in top 63....

If they trade back, it ought to be for a higher pick next year, maybe this year's 2nd for a 1st from another team.

This year, they ought to get a QB, a really good one, and if that means trading up then do it. After that, trading down for more picks is almost always a great idea, but they ought to start a conveyor belt for 1st rounders. If we have one of our 1sts left (and honestly I hope we don't after trading up and getting a QB, but if we do), we should trade for maybe a 3rd or 4th this year and a 1st next year.

13 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

There are enough holes/needs on this team where more than likely 3 of those picks would be starters.

But for example say they pick a a RB with one of them. Is he gonna start? Probably not, but is a solid RB2 a need? Yep

It’s all hypothetical and in fun...

Here's the 55th to 63rd picks this last year:  

Giants Dalvin Tomlinson (16 starts)

Raiders Obi Melifonwu (1 start, 5 games played)

Texans Zach Cunningham (13 starts, 16 games played)

Seahawks Ethan Pocic (11 starts, 16 played)

Chiefs Tanoh Kpassagnon (1 start, 16 played)

Cowboys Chidobe Awuzie (6 starts, 10 played)

Packers Josh Jones (7 starts)

Steelers JuJu Smith-Schuster (7 starts, 14 played)

Bills Dion Dawkins (11 starts, 16 played)

That's only one guy who started all sixteen. And only three with over seven starts. It's certainly possible, but third rounders often need a bit of seasoning.

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Here's the 55th to 63rd picks this last year:  

Giants Dalvin Tomlinson (16 starts)

Raiders Obi Melifonwu (1 start, 5 games played)

Texans Zach Cunningham (13 starts, 16 games played)

Seahawks Ethan Pocic (11 starts, 16 played)

Chiefs Tanoh Kpassagnon (1 start, 16 played)

Cowboys Chidobe Awuzie (6 starts, 10 played)

Packers Josh Jones (7 starts)

Steelers JuJu Smith-Schuster (7 starts, 14 played)

Bills Dion Dawkins (11 starts, 16 played)

That's only one guy who started all sixteen. And only three with over seven starts. It's certainly possible, but third rounders often need a bit of seasoning.

great way to look at it.  thanks.   Looks like Beane won the 3rd round last year

11 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

And if you can do that, then I trade 35 down 7-10 spots and pick up an extra third and maybe something next year. Then you can trade 53 down 6-8 slots and pick up another 3rd especially since you have 55. You end up with a first, 4 seconds and 3 thirds and maybe an extra pick or two in '19. 

It makes sense to trade something down and acquire more picks for next year, but to me that is a little overboard. This team needs players. You're line of thinking is similar to what the Browns have done and just kept trading picks instead of taking players. They are terrible because of it. 

18 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I like a few others on here feel the Bills will try to trade down into the 2nd using one of their first to gain more picks.

Cleveland has picks 35 & 63 in the 2nd round. The value of those picks line up enough with our 22nd overall.

I would love to have picks 21, 35, 53, 55 & 63.

You sell it to Cleveland by saying “would you rather have 5 picks in the top 63... or 4 picks in the top 33?” That’s damn near 4 1st round picks.

But imagine if the Bills could fill there needs and have 5 picks in top 63....

I dont think it goes down like that at all.  Cleveland will have to want a player at 22.  They are not going to make that trade ahead of the draft to count their picks in the top 33.

On 1/28/2018 at 10:43 AM, Ittakestime said:

It's always nice to create your own trade partners. 

Cleveland has enough picks and they will just stay where they are at, or trade down. They won't be trading up. 

It will tough to move back from 22 in this draft. Talent just isn't there. Lots of players are the same grade 

I think there is a better chance we package both 2nds to move into late 1st. 

I actually very much disagree that there wont be players there worth trading up for.  

QB - Quite possible both Mason and Lamar are there, one of the teams who miss out on the big 4 might want to move in and grab their guy.  And even if both aren't there, one of them certainly will be.  Not to mention there are some other QB's that could move into first round consideration after the combines and workouts.

WR - There are a number of WR's who are likely on the board there that a team might want to move up and get.

DT - There are a couple of DT's that could fall there like Vita or Payne I can see a move up for.

OT - Mike McGlitchey could still be there and can see someone moving up for him too.

LB - Evans is another guy quite possibly there that a team would move up for.  

There are a lot of other talented players like at RB that could warrant trade interest, but I doubt a RB would since the class is so freaking deep this year that most teams can stay put and grab a promising guy there.  

Personally, I get trading down to get more picks, and I do think its something Beane can totally do.  However, if we don't sigh a big DT during FA, I don't know that we would pass up one of those DT's there.  And with our next first round pick, if some like Evans or McGlitchey is there I think its a no brainer to grab them rather than trade down.  All this assuming that they aren't high on one of the QB's in that spot.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I actually very much disagree that there wont be players there worth trading up for.  

QB - Quite possible both Mason and Lamar are there, one of the teams who miss out on the big 4 might want to move in and grab their guy.  And even if both aren't there, one of them certainly will be.  Not to mention there are some other QB's that could move into first round consideration after the combines and workouts.

WR - There are a number of WR's who are likely on the board there that a team might want to move up and get.

DT - There are a couple of DT's that could fall there like Vita or Payne I can see a move up for.

OT - Mike McGlitchey could still be there and can see someone moving up for him too.

LB - Evans is another guy quite possibly there that a team would move up for.  

There are a lot of other talented players like at RB that could warrant trade interest, but I doubt a RB would since the class is so freaking deep this year that most teams can stay put and grab a promising guy there.  

Personally, I get trading down to get more picks, and I do think its something Beane can totally do.  However, if we don't sigh a big DT during FA, I don't know that we would pass up one of those DT's there.  And with our next first round pick, if some like Evans or McGlitchey is there I think its a no brainer to grab them rather than trade down.  All this assuming that they aren't high on one of the QB's in that spot.

Do fans not listen when Beane says he wants the most players under 4-5 year contracts at the cheapest amount of money. That means rookie contracts.

If Beane could grab the 21st overall and 4 second round picks, he wouldn’t hesitate to make that deal.  

I will bet $ unless they have a QB that’s rated high and slips and he can still keep both 1st picks to make a deal, then yes he may trade up. If it’s not a QB they have in the top 10 who slips to say 16, then they will sit, or like I say, trade back and gain more picks.

5 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Do fans not listen when Beane says he wants the most players under 4-5 year contracts at the cheapest amount of money. That means rookie contracts.

If Beane could grab the 21st overall and 4 second round picks, he wouldn’t hesitate to make that deal.  

I will bet $ unless they have a QB that’s rated high and slips and he can still keep both 1st picks to make a deal, then yes he may trade up. If it’s not a QB they have in the top 10 who slips to say 16, then they will sit, or like I say, trade back and gain more picks.

Did you even read my post and what I responded to?  I didn't say anything about the Bills trading up.  I know Beane covets his picks and have said many times that I think the odds of Beane making a big trade up are slim for that reason and would only do so if someone they covet slips and can be had much cheaper.  Doesn't mean Beane wont trade up, just think the odds are low, especially after now also losing Wood creating yet another hole to fill.  

The poster I responded to referenced there wont be anyone at 22 someone ELSE would want to trade up so the Bills could trade down.  And then I listed a bunch of players other teams could target so Bills could trade down.