Eric Wood has career-ending neck injury; will retire

YoloinOhio

Behind Kyle Williams, I would say he was the heart and soul of this team.  I hope he lives a healthy rest of his life.

My favorite quote of his was at training camp one year where he yelled at Aaron Maybin, “Give back some of that money you ain’t [expletive] earned!”

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Behind Kyle Williams, I would say he was the heart and soul of this team.  I hope he lives a healthy rest of his life.

My favorite quote of his was at training camp one year where he yelled at Aaron Maybin, “Give back some of that money you ain’t [expletive] earned!”

I agree. Live long and prosper Eric Wood.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/27/2018 at 10:24 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....any benefit to designating him as a post June 1 cut?............

He's not being cut.  He's retiring.

I don't think you can designate a "post June 1" medical retirement

The Bills and Wood could possibly finagle IR'ing him then bringing him off to retire after June 1.  But then I think the Bills would become obligated to pay his 2019 salary.

10 hours ago, Pilsner said:

I agree. Live long and prosper Eric Wood.

Pilsner!  I've missed your avatar!  Best avatar ever!

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Bills and Wood could possibly finagle IR'ing him then bringing him off to retire after June 1.  But then I think the Bills would become obligated to pay his 2019 salary.

...I believe that is EXACTLY what I was asking.......and NOT to avoid paying is salary versus spreading cap hit over 2 years........

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I believe that is EXACTLY what I was asking.......and NOT to avoid paying is salary versus spreading cap hit over 2 years........

This does most definitely happen.  It's hard on a top player, since instead of going out on the top of his game with a little fanfare, he kind of drizzles off, forgotten.  But in Wood's case, I feel fairly certain he'd go for anything presented to him as helping the team.

Back of the envelope, I don't think it gets them too much.  If they IR Wood and he retires in the 2018 season, they pay him $8.6M this year and $6M next year (I think roster bonus would apply this year but not next).  His accelerated cap hit is $10.4. 

So basically, if my math is right, they would save $1.8M of cap hit this year, at the cost of $6M hit next.

I don't think that gains them very much.  Beane has also behaved as though they want to clear the cap next year and going forward, and don't GAF how much cap hit they take this year if it's beautiful next year and thereafter.  So he may prefer to accelerate.

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

best avatar ever !

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This does most definitely happen.  It's hard on a top player, since instead of going out on the top of his game with a little fanfare, he kind of drizzles off, forgotten.  But in Wood's case, I feel fairly certain he'd go for anything presented to him as helping the team.

Back of the envelope, I don't think it gets them too much.  If they IR Wood and he retires in the 2018 season, they pay him $8.6M this year and $6M next year (I think roster bonus would apply this year but not next).  His accelerated cap hit is $10.4. 

So basically, if my math is right, they would save $1.8M of cap hit this year, at the cost of $6M hit next.

I don't think that gains them very much.  Beane has also behaved as though they want to clear the cap next year and going forward, and don't GAF how much cap hit they take this year if it's beautiful next year and thereafter.  So he may prefer to accelerate.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

.....first, I want Eric to get every nickel as he has certainly earned it...at the same time, I have confidence that this gang will thoroughly vet every option as far as cap relief.....probably the best FO assembly since post Polian.....now here is the irony that perhaps you can provide some insight on.....much has been made about "Whaley's ludicrous deals" yada yada....yet Overdorf is THE capologist allegedly with final say on contracts based on his 2008 promotion......so were those Whaley deals that Overdorf had to sign off on or did Jim actually approve them?.......if he is the actual culprit, why is he in the same position?....not as if Pegula couldn't afford the best capologist "in the land"......should he still be in the same position to digest and approve your math?...just curious...............

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....first, I want Eric to get every nickel as he has certainly earned it...at the same time, I have confidence that this gang will thoroughly vet every option as far as cap relief.....probably the best FO assembly since post Polian.....now here is the irony that perhaps you can provide some insight on.....much has been made about "Whaley's ludicrous deals" yada yada....yet Overdorf is THE capologist allegedly with final say on contracts based on his 2008 promotion......so were those Whaley deals that Overdorf had to sign off on or did Jim actually approve them?.......if he is the actual culprit, why is he in the same position?....not as if Pegula couldn't afford the best capologist "in the land"......should he still be in the same position to digest and approve your math?...just curious...............

I honestly question what is/they mean by "final say on contracts".  Is he approving the contracts or is he just the guy that says "yea, we can afford that number".

When I think of capologist, I tend to feel like he's just the guy that tells them they have the money for the contract they want to offer.

43 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I honestly question what is/they mean by "final say on contracts".  Is he approving the contracts or is he just the guy that says "yea, we can afford that number".

When I think of capologist, I tend to feel like he's just the guy that tells them they have the money for the contract they want to offer.

...tend to think you're spot on bud.....no one guy gets the bad deal pinned on his "donkey" IMO...............

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

This is only my personal take.  I have no connections and pretend to no insider insight.

From various stuff Whaley said in interviews about what was the biggest transition for him to GM and so forth, I gained the impression that he was all about talent evaluation with little to no background on the business side of the GM position and relied very heavily on Overdorf to draft the contracts as well as to educate him (Whaley) about the cap impacts of various moves.  Then Whaley formally had responsibility for presenting and signing contracts that Overdorf put together.  But no one was really overall "minding the cap" strategically.  I also think Whaley trusted Overdorf too much to look out for the Bills interests during the contract process.  It was all "we need a top TE....coaches want Clay...can we do it?"  "yeah, sure, but it might mean we can't resign Zach Brown"  "I'm down with that".  It was kind of a weird situation where there didn't seem to be a clear line of accountability.  I didn't feel anyone was about "we need a QB, and we need to manage the cap so we have clear space to go after a top FA if that's our best option, because QB should be our top priority"

I think that's how we wound up with huge contracts for troubled players like Dareus without any protection for the Bills in the event of future problems.

Beane seems to have more of a background on the business side of the GM position and to have taken the reins on the cap strategy.  My impression is that Overdorf is now working at Beane's direction and that Beane may have a much firmer grip on what he will or won't accept in various contracts.  But time will tell... the huge extension to Wood, a guy who was probably playing when the extension was signed, on a forced-retirement neck injury, is NOT a good look.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is only my personal take.  I have no connections and pretend to no insider insight.

From various stuff Whaley said in interviews about what was the biggest transition for him to GM and so forth, I gained the impression that he was all about talent evaluation with little to no background on the business side of the GM position and relied very heavily on Overdorf to draft the contracts as well as to educate him (Whaley) about the cap impacts of various moves.  Then Whaley formally had responsibility for presenting and signing contracts that Overdorf put together.  But no one was really overall "minding the cap" strategically.  I also think Whaley trusted Overdorf too much to look out for the Bills interests during the contract process.  It was all "we need a top TE....coaches want Clay...can we do it?"  "yeah, sure, but it might mean we can't resign Zach Brown"  "I'm down with that".  It was kind of a weird situation where there didn't seem to be a clear line of accountability.  I didn't feel anyone was about "we need a QB, and we need to manage the cap so we have clear space to go after a top FA if that's our best option, because QB should be our top priority"

I think that's how we wound up with huge contracts for troubled players like Dareus without any protection for the Bills in the event of future problems.

Beane seems to have more of a background on the business side of the GM position and to have taken the reins on the cap strategy.  My impression is that Overdorf is now working at Beane's direction and that Beane may have a much firmer grip on what he will or won't accept in various contracts.  But time will tell... the huge extension to Wood, a guy who was probably playing when the extension was signed, on a forced-retirement neck injury, is NOT a good look.

I agree with most of this.  The last line is my only argument.  Wood signed his extension in Aug last year and played every snap this season.  Then at the end of the season an injury that was called a "complicated medical situation" makes me think that it was more bad luck than a bad extension.  Either way it sucks and I don't think it speaks to anything about Beane.  I feel like they would have reviewed his medical history before offering the extension and probably wouldn't have made it.  Just my thoughts on it.

It sucks he won’t be able to suit up on Sundays to play his childhood dream. His leadership will be missed. But, in terms of football and neck injuries, this is the best way for a player to receive this news. Some players receive this news in the back of an ambulance and may never walk again. I wish him best during the next chapter of his life. 

On 1/26/2018 at 8:25 PM, Helpmenow said:

Derrick Burroughs was another ex who retired with the bills over a neck issue

AND he was taking a lot of crap for a bad play he made at the same time.Sad way to end a career for Mr Burroughs.

he was a damn good player.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

I agree with most of this.  The last line is my only argument.  Wood signed his extension in Aug last year and played every snap this season.  Then at the end of the season an injury that was called a "complicated medical situation" makes me think that it was more bad luck than a bad extension.  Either way it sucks and I don't think it speaks to anything about Beane.  I feel like they would have reviewed his medical history before offering the extension and probably wouldn't have made it.  Just my thoughts on it.

Acknowledged, something may have happened that went from "wear and tear" to "no longer clear-able" during the season. 

It's just a bit strange since he played every snap and there was no report of an injury.  But you could be correct.

In fact I hope you are correct, because I wish to think well of our new FO

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Acknowledged, something may have happened that went from "wear and tear" to "no longer clear-able" during the season. 

It's just a bit strange since he played every snap and there was no report of an injury.  But you could be correct.

In fact I hope you are correct, because I wish to think well of our new FO

I'm sure he must have been playing through some pain during the season but like most players say, "you're always playing hurt".  Wood doesn't strike me as the kind of person that knew something was wrong and was looking to get paid before he was forced to retire.  I think the fact that he did play every snap really signafies that he had no clue (along with coaching/medical/FO staff) that there was something more seriously wrong.  It really does seem like the "wear and tear" turned into something worse for his own well-being.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

The extension still seemed like a bad one at the time. It was over market value for a center that, frankly, was not outperforming the league at his position. I get that he was an exemplary Bill, team captain, etc. But it did seem unnecessary and expensive. I do agree that it is more of a bad luck situation, you know they're going to reevaluate how they go about extensions in the future. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big C said:

The extension still seemed like a bad one at the time. It was over market value for a center that, frankly, was not outperforming the league at his position. I get that he was an exemplary Bill, team captain, etc. But it did seem unnecessary and expensive. I do agree that it is more of a bad luck situation, you know they're going to reevaluate how they go about extensions in the future. 

I have no question that they paid a decent price for an center that was consistantly above average.  That tends to be the case with this team though.  See Dareus, Fitz, Clay, Mario, etc.

I know those players are playmakers but they vastly overpaid them for their production.