Vince McMahon to announce return of XFL this afternoon

14 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

how about a list of suggestions for XFL II ?-

• no instant replay (controversy makes for competition! ) 
  • no defenseless player penalties. 
  • mandatory cheerleader TV coverage.
  • no timeouts until the final 2:00 minutes of each half.  
  • 15 sec. play clock.  

Play on ice skates. 

A couple things he said that may interest,

He said something about people with DUI's are not allowed to play

Seemed to deflect about standing for the anthem being mandatory, "there will be a certain set of rules that everyone will abide by and those will be made clear when they sign up"

He did specifically say Tebow would be welcome to play

Kaepernick was specifically asked about, and he said as long as he abides by the rules he would be allowed (paraphrasing)

No crossover of sports broadcasters from WWE to XFL

Per the ad that aired after, less infractions, less stalling, will be geared towards what the fans want

So, lets assume the league is 8 teams. Which cities get franchises? Do they try to hit some untapped markets like Orlando, San Antonio, Columbus? Maybe some cities that have been abandoned by the league like Saint Louis, San Diego and Oakland? I have to assume they'll have teams in NYC, LA, Houston.

its a joke.  Being the sole investor and starting a league he hopes competes with the NFL with $100 million is a clown show.  Especially since he already crapped on his hypothetical players.... cant protest, payment based on winning, and zero tolerance for any criminal record.  He isnt going to be able to maintain control and domination over his "staff" like he does in WWE.  No NFL player will willingly leave the NFLPA and the pension for this.

start it in 4 cities in the same region, with modest venues and build it from there.  Best case is it becomes AAA football

The NFL can pee through $100 million in 10 seconds. 

You need front office staffs for league/teams, medical staff, training staff, grounds crews, etc.  Not to mention pay rent to use facilities and possibly share overhead.  Im sure most of the production will be done internally as well.

Edited by May Day 10

21 minutes ago, sodbuster said:

So, lets assume the league is 8 teams. Which cities get franchises? Do they try to hit some untapped markets like Orlando, San Antonio, Columbus? Maybe some cities that have been abandoned by the league like Saint Louis, San Diego and Oakland? I have to assume they'll have teams in NYC, LA, Houston.

I think doing all three could be huge, to be successful I see the three cities that just lost franchises as important. I think two/three from  Columbus, San Antonio, Memphis, OKC, Portland, Richmond and Orlando would be smart. Then two/three from (please no LA), NYC, DALLAS, PHILADELPHIA, CHICAGO, Houston, 

McMahon would be smart to go after some FA vets as well as going hard after high school recruits with a promise of a paycheck and national exposure. Bringing in good coaches and competing with the NCAA for kids would net the new league some good talent and set himself up as a developmental league.

The biggest problem the XFL had was that it was just bad football. No one wants to see washed up NFL rejects play badly. However, people might be willing to watch BCS-level talent develop, following them to the NFL like people do with NCAA.

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

McMahon would be smart to go after some FA vets as well as going hard after high school recruits with a promise of a paycheck and national exposure. Bringing in good coaches and competing with the NCAA for kids would net the new league some good talent and set himself up as a developmental league.

The biggest problem the XFL had was that it was just bad football. No one wants to see washed up NFL rejects play badly. However, people might be willing to watch BCS-level talent develop, following them to the NFL like people do with NCAA.

I think that is why he is giving himself more time this time to get teams etc assembled, to hopefully improve the quality of the product.

....."criminal record" includes a DUI conviction........thus, 64% of all TBD posters are prolly eliminated (TUI-tailgating under the influence included)......oh well..........

"I can say, 'Here are the rules, and as long as you are playing football in the stadium for us, you follow these rules.'"

McMahon also said he would preclude any player with a criminal record, which would disqualify former Texas A&M quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel.

"We are evaluating a player based on many things, including the quality of human being they are," McMahon said. If you have any sort of criminal record or commit a crime you aren't playing in this league."

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

4 hours ago, teef said:

wait...maybe the league could be made up of hookers on coke.  

oh no doubt.  i mean, they let players put whatever names they wanted to on the back of their jersey.  if that doesn't sound like a 3 am coke decision, i don't know what does.

3 am? Must have been some pretty weak blow.

7 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Its not a terrible idea in theory and Vince has nearlt 2 years to get ready, which should be a good thing.

i think they have to focus more on making it different.  The shorter game is actually a good idea.

I am intrigued by this whole idea. If I was Vince the first places I would go to for the franchises, are NFL franchises that no longer exist. How cool would it be for the xfl to have the Houston Oilers? Just the same color scheme, same logos. Try and recapture any left over fans of that team. Then maybe the St Louis Rams. Same deal. Try and catch that fan base that is now left with no team. San Diego Chargers? I’m sure somehow their are naming rights issues but there would almost have to be some way around that. Just an idea.