Vince McMahon to announce return of XFL this afternoon

13 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I am intrigued by this whole idea. If I was Vince the first places I would go to for the franchises, are NFL franchises that no longer exist. How cool would it be for the xfl to have the Houston Oilers? Just the same color scheme, same logos. Try and recapture any left over fans of that team. Then maybe the St Louis Rams. Same deal. Try and catch that fan base that is now left with no team. San Diego Chargers? I’m sure somehow their are naming rights issues but there would almost have to be some way around that. Just an idea.

Couldn't do that without some major litigation. I'd wager the Titans still own the name/logo.

McMahon desperately needs to get Tebow in this league. Tebow might not be the best QB but he should be on par or better than most other QB's the league would attract. But on top of that Tebow has a huge built-in following. Get Tebow a large deal to make it worth his while and you have a marketable star.

21 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

McMahon desperately needs to get Tebow in this league. Tebow might not be the best QB but he should be on par or better than most other QB's the league would attract. But on top of that Tebow has a huge built-in following. Get Tebow a large deal to make it worth his while and you have a marketable star.

get over it already

all he did was win

17 hours ago, Koko78 said:

McMahon would be smart to go after some FA vets as well as going hard after high school recruits with a promise of a paycheck and national exposure. Bringing in good coaches and competing with the NCAA for kids would net the new league some good talent and set himself up as a developmental league.

The biggest problem the XFL had was that it was just bad football. No one wants to see washed up NFL rejects play badly. However, people might be willing to watch BCS-level talent develop, following them to the NFL like people do with NCAA.

The thing is with kids fresh out of high school you would have to make it a league with an age limit (Can you really have kids fresh out of high school going up against former NFL veterans). That probably would be more costly as an 18-24 year old league would have to promise as much if not more development than the college programs they hope to poach these kids away from. 

So you would likely have to pay a decent salary, online college, loss of value insurance, and have coaching and development staffs that are comparable to the large ones in college. To me that's a bit too costly for the XFL to put together. Even though long-term that might end up being the more viable league, the upfront costs are just too high. 

I think a minor league for bubble NFL players and washed out vets who might still be able to play is the way to go. I think there is enough talent to make spring football a fun alternative product for football fans during the NFL's off-season and the waning days of the NHL and NBA seasons with a championship that ends just before both sports hit their playoffs. I think if you put on a competent fun football product that there are enough hardcore football fans and sports fans looking for something else to watch in the spring to make it work. 

But we will see just how much Vince McMahon has learned from his past. 

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

get over it already

all he did was win

I think Tebow was never a good pro-QB and I am not a fan of his. But from a marketing perspective, you can't deny that Tebow has a huge following and the type of image the league would like to project (Good clean family fun.) Tebow would bring publicity and all sorts of eyes to their product. He also wouldn't be terribly expensive since I doubt he gets paid much to do minor league baseball and the XFL season wouldn't interfere with his college football gigs. 

I don't really care to see Tebow play again but it would be too good of an opportunity for the XFL to pass up. 

Edited by billsfan89

On 1/25/2018 at 10:31 AM, Canadian Bills Fan said:

2020?  Far too much in future for any announcement except to solicit stakeholders.

On 1/25/2018 at 11:24 AM, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Even better. Rex and Rob hired as the Co-Commissioners. 

There's a chance the could get some decent "name" players. RGIII, Kapernick, Manziel. There's 3 starting QBs for a maybe 4-6 team league.

It is not starting for 2 years - if they are not playing  in some capacity elsewhere by then they will not be playing.

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Yeah call the team to be called the "Avenging Angels" to lure him in to his ego!

I said this in the last post about this happening, THE XFL WILL NOT BE A MINOR OR DEVELOPMENTAL LEAGUE FOR THE NFL. Vince McMahon is not the type of person who is going to invest his money into that. He wants a rival to the NFL that he hopes one day will become bigger then the NFL.

The reason he is doing this now is he is trying to strike when the NFL is taking a hit, hoping to give people what they are complaining about to the NFL. Watch, as rules and more info comes out they will all have to do with things the NFL is dealing with now. The NFL faces backlash over players like Ray Rice so the league says you have a criminal record your not playing here. There's backlash against people kneeling for the anthem and political stances, the league won't allow them at all. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they implement tougher rules for head injuries and different protective equipment because of the backlash over CTE (or they could go the other way and give the other fans what they want, tough macho football without the wussy protective rules)

Vince tried the first time to make a more physical hard hitting league to appeal to the wrestling fans that he knew well. Problem was that it came off cheesey and had too much wrestling cross over/affiliation leading people to believe it was fixed and fake like the WWE.

This time I bet he learns and distances the league from the WWE, and just bases the league off of what fans are complaining about in the NFL so he can market it by saying they are the anti NFL.

His buddy in the oval office has told us all about how the ratings in the NFL are down because of the kneeling for the anthems and political stances, so what's the first rule made public by the league, no kneeling or political stances......

17 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Like this, I hope the XFL succeeds. Could be like a minor league for the NFL.

Why does this always come up? 

The NCAA is the best minor league football organization the NFl will ever have.  History has proven this beyond a doubt repeatedly.

The XFL will briefly house guys who couldn't find a roster spot in the NFL or who washed out of the league.  Everyone who brings up a "developmental league" wants to believe it will be filled with Kurt Warners and Fred Jacksons who just need a little more seasoning that a joke of a league filled with the crappiest coaches in the land can certainly provide them.

Believing this is what the XFL will be makes no sense. 

Look, this already failed 15 years ago.  They have nothing, just a press release by a guy who wants to blow a bunch of money in self promotion.  He put it off for 2 years so it can die off quietly before the first game is played. 

16 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I am intrigued by this whole idea. If I was Vince the first places I would go to for the franchises, are NFL franchises that no longer exist. How cool would it be for the xfl to have the Houston Oilers? Just the same color scheme, same logos. Try and recapture any left over fans of that team. Then maybe the St Louis Rams. Same deal. Try and catch that fan base that is now left with no team. San Diego Chargers? I’m sure somehow their are naming rights issues but there would almost have to be some way around that. Just an idea.

So there are Houston NFL fans (other than Houston Texans) fans who would pay to see a team called the "Oilers' so they could wear their old jerseys to the game?

31 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

2020?  Far too much in future for any announcement except to solicit stakeholders.

It is not starting for 2 years - if they are not playing  in some capacity elsewhere by then they will not be playing.

Couldn't disagree more. If these guys are playing elsewhere in 2020 then there is a good chance they will stay where they are... whether it be CFL or NFL and earn potentially more money playing for a more stable league.

If they aren't on a team it's really easy to see these guys who are all still somewhat young keeping in shape for 3 years and joining XFL as a last resort. 

XFL isn't really going to care if they haven't played on a team in 2-3-4 years...they need names you recognize. And players that would create some controversy (Kaep, Johnny), were once high draft picks in the NFL (RGIII) will get what they need. Eyes on their product and media coverage.

Why doesn't Vince just pick a night and a football stadium, pile his 100 million in cash on the 50 yard line, and set fire to it.  He would get a sellout crowd and guarantee super bowl type ratings on TV.

That would be a better use of his money than starting another piece of s### league. Johnny Manziel is a target for the league?  RGIII?  Tebow? Who in their right mind is going to spend even 10 dollars to watch those losers try to play football.

And if the thought is that this is the perfect antidote for the NFL in the alt-right bible belt, well those folks already have a professional football league.  It's called college football.

This thing is going to flop just like the last one, and just like every other non NFL pro league has flopped over the last 50 years.

Edited by Perry Turtle