ESPN Insider 2017 Re-Drafts Top 5 (Mahomes)

10 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

What did Trubisky do to show that he still belonged in the top 5?  He looked terrible, IMO.

At least he played... what did Mahomes do to go 6 spots higher? He played in one meaningless game.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The quarterback is such a critical position that I don't think McDermott wanted to commit to a young qb without having his GM in place. He would have had to trust Whaley to make the right qb choice and I don't believe that McDermott had that faith in Whaley (that's pretty clear as he was fired after the draft). I think McDermott wanted to get all their ducks in order (GM and new scouting staff) to allow them to make the critical decision their jobs will all be tied to instead of letting a lame duck staff make that decision. 

• Like (+1) 3

In terms of Mahomes, i am just guessing here, but Riddick loves, loves, loves him some Mahomes. I think Andy Reid is close with a lot of those ESPN guys, and they all talk about "sources are saying Mahomes is the real deal, lighting up practice, was a steal at 10, next top-level franchise QB" .

Just a quess

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

At least he played... what did Mahomes do to go 6 spots higher? He played in one meaningless game.

Great offensive coach bias.

Basically, because Andy Reid traded up to get him, he must be great. It's exactly what happened after the draft. Analysts who had him pegged as a 2nd/3rd round guy were praising the pick after it happened basically because of Reid.

1 hour ago, VirginiaMike said:

I don't see what Mahomes did to warrant moving up while Fourtnette lead his team to an unexpected championship game performance and is moved out of the top 5.    

I agree that they are underselling Fournette’s contribution to that team’s success. 

1 hour ago, VirginiaMike said:

I don't see what Mahomes did to warrant moving up while Fourtnette lead his team to an unexpected championship game performance and is moved out of the top 5.    

Fournette did not "lead" his team anywhere. He's marginally better than Yeldon. Not even a top-3 RB in his own draft class (Kamara, Hunt, Cook), let alone a top-10 RB in the league as some people seem to think. Jacksonville's defense carried them to the AFCCG. Drafting Fournette instead of a QB was a catastrophic mistake that is currently being masked by one season of unsustainable success. Just imagining the state their franchise would be in with Watson or Mahomes instead of Fournette should make Jaguar fans cry. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Mahomes is a beast a gunslingers gunslinger.  He has the arm Josh Allen has but he knows how to use it.  He made some jaw dropping throws vs Denver in that finale . He still needs development though but he is on his way.  

Another reason why Mahomes should probably move up is mechanics. The thing that hurt him was poor mechanics. It's pretty much the main reason some folks were against him. Although the sample size is small, it looked very much like he had those issues under much better control. It was clear that the Chiefs had spent a lot of time working with him to correct those flaws. Iron out those problems and there is a lot more to like.

5 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Another reason why Mahomes should probably move up is mechanics. The thing that hurt him was poor mechanics. It's pretty much the main reason some folks were against him. Although the sample size is small, it looked very much like he had those issues under much better control. It was clear that the Chiefs had spent a lot of time working with him to correct those flaws. Iron out those problems and there is a lot more to like.

There was still some flappy back foot against the Broncos but he had literally the worst footwork I have ever evaluated coming out of college.  He isn't "fixed" yet but there was tangible improvement.  

Though I agree with those asking how his Denver game can shoot him into the top 5 of a do-over.  That is confusing to me.  

Edited by GunnerBill