13 victims found shackled in California home

/dev/null

1 hour ago, teef said:

i've always wondered this too.  does one turn the other into a psycho, or do they both just stumble into each other?

I was also wondering about this.  Obviously, at least one of them was nuts to begin with.  I wonder if fear plays any part, then the "victim," just gives up and goes along after awhile.

Sick story.

I don't know why they would face backlash for family vacations with adult kids, but i am guessing you are more concerned about the fact that so many adult kids still live with them and that should have been a red flag.  We don't know the 'mental capacity' of the adult kids either...i am guessing we will find out some disturbing stuff about who the biological parents are of some of them and my guess is their dna may match

18 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

They look like hollywood horror movie prototype psychos.

Crazy. Some of the "kids" were as old as 29. I can't believe they managed to trot those kids all over the world and not face backlash or get in trouble faster. Mind blowing.

I agree with you mead, death penalty. Never happen, but they deserve to. 

35 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I don't know why they would face backlash for family vacations with adult kids, but i am guessing you are more concerned about the fact that so many adult kids still live with them and that should have been a red flag.  We don't know the 'mental capacity' of the adult kids either...i am guessing we will find out some disturbing stuff about who the biological parents are of some of them and my guess is their dna may match

I think it has more to do with the health conditions of all the kids and no one noticing them looking unhealthy or that they have been shackled up at home.

Did it say they traveled with their kids?

an article I read showed them at disney, at an elvis themed wedding....those pictures, even with the kids faces blurred out seemed somewhat normal, except for the matching clothes, but i get the matching clothes in those cases.  very weird.  They claimed bankruptcy a few years ago, wonder if that started a nasty downward spiral. 

42 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think it has more to do with the health conditions of all the kids and no one noticing them looking unhealthy or that they have been shackled up at home.

Did it say they traveled with their kids?

7 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

You wonder how a couple like this finds each other.  They both seemed to be in on this and OK with it!

This is like a Stephen King novel premise, only its' real, which makes it 100 times more fascinating...and scary.

When you walk into a Starbucks and you see someone across the room also wearing someone else's skin as a coat, the conversation just starts itself.

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

One of the most troubling parts of this article is what appears to be an overly cautious response by law enforcement.

So, this girl escapes and tells the cops, and the cops' response is to call up and interview the parents?  "Hey, we have your escaped 17-year old here, and were just wondering what's the deal?"

Then they arrest these guys and book them for "suspicion of torture."  Maybe more charges are coming, but I am pretty sure you can go right to torture and child endagerment and a host of other charges, rather than mere suspicion.

One thing that crossed my mind is how they responded once they saw what they were dealing with inside the house. Immediate reaction would be to render assistance, but   to some degree I would expect they need to document the crime scene to make sure it's an open and shut case and not give the lawyers anything to work with.

16 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Good point. I would say that when you see like 13 emaciated people shackled in a home, there's not going to be much need for collecting evidence. This strikes me as maybe a little of a backwards area with inexperienced police. You would think that the health and safety of the people would be the No. 1 priority, like you said. 

Can you imagine what it was like to walk into that situation? I have to think there was at least some skepticism, but at the very least it had to be much worse than what they were expecting. 

6 hours ago, teef said:

i've always wondered this too.  does one turn the other into a psycho, or do they both just stumble into each other?

Usually one's a psycho, and the other's co-dependent.  

But not always (e.g. Karla Homolka and Paul Bernardo).  

Definitely a very sad story. The sad part is I've read similar stories as twisted as this. I can think of two right off the top of my head.

It kind of makes me wonder how many people I walked by in my life randomly that have dark stuff going on. I'll see some somebody that gives me an odd feeling and just wonder sometimes. You got some kid in your basement dude??!!?

Edited by Lfod

6 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

One of the most troubling parts of this article is what appears to be an overly cautious response by law enforcement.

So, this girl escapes and tells the cops, and the cops' response is to call up and interview the parents?  "Hey, we have your escaped 17-year old here, and were just wondering what's the deal?"

Then they arrest these guys and book them for "suspicion of torture."  Maybe more charges are coming, but I am pretty sure you can go right to torture and child endagerment and a host of other charges, rather than mere suspicion.

1) I'll bet a lot of runaways or troubled teens tell a "my parents keep me chained in a doghouse" story or some such, so the police learn to approach such situations cautiously.  When you're reading the story after the fact, it's easy to second guess.  When you have to deal with the ambiguities in real time, it's a lot more difficult.

2) You arrest them on the first charge that you can reasonably justify, because you want to get them the hell out of the way as soon as possible so you can get on with your investigation.  (And because of the semantic reason that police can only "suspect" - presumption of innocence and all that.  It's likely just bad reporting, not a reflection on the police).

5 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

One thing that crossed my mind is how they responded once they saw what they were dealing with inside the house. Immediate reaction would be to render assistance, but   to some degree I would expect they need to document the crime scene to make sure it's an open and shut case and not give the lawyers anything to work with.

Their immediate response was probably to 1) secure the parents, and 2) get on the radio and tell dispatch to roll all the EMTs and ambulances available.

After that...do you unshackle the victims and...tell them to stay where they are?  Risk them contaminating the crime scene?  Remove them from the scene and line them up on the sidewalk to wait?  Honestly, the smartest thing might be to secure the scene, and leave them where they are to wait for EMTs and detectives, because what's another three minutes?

3 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Good point. I would say that when you see like 13 emaciated people shackled in a home, there's not going to be much need for collecting evidence. This strikes me as maybe a little of a backwards area with inexperienced police. You would think that the health and safety of the people would be the No. 1 priority, like you said. 

There's always a need for collecting evidence.  You never want these people to walk because reasonable doubt was created where you could have removed it had you been more conscientious - cases like this are when they are absolutely meticulous at collecting evidence.

3 hours ago, DC Tom said:

1) I'll bet a lot of runaways or troubled teens tell a "my parents keep me chained in a doghouse" story or some such, so the police learn to approach such situations cautiously.  When you're reading the story after the fact, it's easy to second guess.  When you have to deal with the ambiguities in real time, it's a lot more difficult.

2) You arrest them on the first charge that you can reasonably justify, because you want to get them the hell out of the way as soon as possible so you can get on with your investigation.  (And because of the semantic reason that police can only "suspect" - presumption of innocence and all that.  It's likely just bad reporting, not a reflection on the police).

Their immediate response was probably to 1) secure the parents, and 2) get on the radio and tell dispatch to roll all the EMTs and ambulances available.

After that...do you unshackle the victims and...tell them to stay where they are?  Risk them contaminating the crime scene?  Remove them from the scene and line them up on the sidewalk to wait?  Honestly, the smartest thing might be to secure the scene, and leave them where they are to wait for EMTs and detectives, because what's another three minutes?

There's always a need for collecting evidence.  You never want these people to walk because reasonable doubt was created where you could have removed it had you been more conscientious - cases like this are when they are absolutely meticulous at collecting evidence.

This is a "wish I'd said that" post. Could not agree more.

Only thing I'll add to this thread is that creepy me dropped into Google Maps street view and was shocked to see what looked like a very nice neighborhood. I expected to find a remote area or run-down neighborhood. Obviously makes no difference to the 13 abused, just harder for me to understand how it went undetected.

3 hours ago, Dante said:

Although in the long run vigilante justice probably goes off the rails, I really do wish for some mafia style payback sometimes.

Give it time.

Jails and prisons are not kind to these kind of persons.

Edited by CowgirlsFan