Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

Can we allow ourselves to see what Daboll can do before analyzing and jumping to conclusions?

If Daboll is truly a good OC, he will adapt his style and playbook to fit the kind of QB and skillset he has around him.

If the Bills have Tyrod at QB then yes, I would expect an offensive similar to what we have had.  If the Bills draft a gunslinger QB, at some point I would expect the playbook to open up.

Daboll was blah as a OC before at times sure in the NFL, but he worked under Saban and Belichek. Has been around winning for quite some time. Initially, this works for me.

7 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

No one is throwing a ticker tape parade. I'm just not interested in having your whole "sorry if I'm too real for you" act. No one knows if this is a good hire, but to sit here and complain about it is ignorant absent an actual sample size of current work.

There was a 4 year sample size that was used. 

Fridges logic > attacking Kool Aid swigging, excuse makers. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, xRUSHx said:
6 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

Haha, just like Tyrod. He gets his OCs fired year one, year two, year three, looks like year 4 will be no different considering he is a easy scape goat to blame with past fail. 

How exactly is Tyrod responsible for either Roman or Lynn getting fired?

I am sure Roman getting fired had nothing to do with calls coming in late and players being unhappy with the play calling in addition to the 500 yds given up on defense against the Jets. Bills were avg on offense and put up over 20 pts without a run game that day. 

Lynn was interim HC after Rex mailed in his 2nd opportunity by turning over control to his brother. Lynn interviewed and didn’t get the HC job here which went to McDermott.

Edited by billieve420

3 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

How exactly is Tyrod responsible for either Roman or Lynn getting fired?

I am sure Roman getting fired had nothing to do with calls coming in late and players being unhappy with the play calling in addition to the 500 yds given up on defense against the Jets. Bills were avg on offense and put up over 20 pts without a run game that day. 

Lynn was interim HC after Rex mailed in his 2nd opportunity by turning over control to his brother. Lynn interviewed and didn’t get the HC job here which went to McDermott.

So your saying a new OC every year for Tyrod is not a problem, got it. No trend here of course it is the OC at fault not the QB year one of both staffs. SMH

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Take a look around the NFL.  Most coaches/coordinators are only as good as the players they have on the roster.

Our success on offense (especially in the passing game) will most likely be determined on April 26-27, during the next NFL draft.

Let's take a close look at some of the other names being thrown around:

Mike McCoy was ridiculously successful as an offensive coordinator with the Broncos.  It even earned him a head coaching slot with the Chargers.  Many Bills fans were disappointed last offseason when he chose to return to Denver instead of joining our staff.  One season with Trevor Siemian under center instead of Peyton Manning, and suddenly the guy's reputation is trash.

Darrell Bevell had been a hot coaching candidate when the Seahawks were at the top of their game.  He was considered an innovative offensive playcaller.  Marshawn Lynch walks out of town, the running game goes to poop, and suddenly Bevell is a total idiot and the most predictable coordinator on the planet.  Did he forget how to call a football game, or did his talent take a nosedive?

Rob Chudzinski's coaching history looks like a roller coaster.  Cam Newton has a great rookie season, and "Chud" is credited with his development.  He goes to the Browns, fails to get anything from Brandon Weeden, and all of a sudden doesn't know anything about developing QBs.  He navigates over to the Colts with Andrew Luck, and somehow his QB genius is restored.  Luck gets hurt, and he becomes an idiot once again.

I'm sensing a theme here: You need a good quarterback!!!!

1 minute ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

I'm sensing a theme here: You need a good quarterback!!!!

Sure is a theme here, a new OC every year but the same failed starting QB.

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

So your saying a new OC every year for Tyrod is not a problem, got it. No trend here of course it is the OC at fault not the QB year one of both staffs. SMH

Ha.

Anthony Lynn got offered a head coaching job after one year of being Tyrod's offensive coordinator. :D

Your incessant weak ass bashing is both illogical and tiresome.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PolishDave said:

Ha.

Anthony Lynn got offered a head coaching job after one year of being Tyrod's offensive coordinator. :D

Your incessant weak ass bashing is both illogical and tiresome.

Does Tyrod have a new OC every year?

20 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

There was a 4 year sample size that was used. 

Fridges logic > attacking Kool Aid swigging, excuse makers. 

I said current and I'm not running around extolling how excited I am. Please explain to me how complaining for pages and pages on a message board before the guy steps foot in the building is better than saying "huh, hopefully he isn't crap, let's wait and see?"

2 hours ago, vincec said:

It’s amazing that he gets a fourth shot at a job that he bombed at the three previous times.

it makes you think that people must really see some potential in him.

Or it reinforces the “old boy network” theory.

Well, for sure who you know has a big influence.  In this case, McDermott and Daboll go way back to his first job at William and Mary.

I think most supervisors and football is no exception, look at context when evaluating performance. 

Many of us as fans don't look further than the offensive performance and W-L record of the teams where Daboll was OC 6 years ago.

A few look further and say "what did he have as weapons?" look at the list of QB he worked with and how he did with them.

I think the guys who are hiring around the league look further and drill into the details of what kind of plays did he design for his guys, how did they execute relative to what they did previously and afterwards.

If no one in the NFL got additional shots after bombing their previous shot, the world would have been spared years of Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll (to say nothing of Marv Levy).

I think there's a reason we haven't seen Daboll as an OC for 5 years and it's not because he failed in his previous gigs.  He realized he needed to learn more, and he realized he needed to wait and choose his next position carefully, because if he kept accepting scraps and bombing (no matter how little he had to work with and how much he was tied to his boss) he was going to be out of work.  Belichick took him back, remember that (normally he changes the locks)

It's certainly not lack of work that brought him to Buffalo at this time - after winning the national title and unveiling a potential new star, there's no reason he couldn't have stayed at Alabama getting paid $1.2M/year and leading Tua Tagovailoa to better success.

• Like (+1) 3