Is DACA Issue Just A Dem Slight Of Hand?

3rdnlng

Kashkari, in an editorial in the Wall Street Journal, wrote:

“Our welcoming culture provides us an unfair competitive advantage most countries would love to have. . . . If Congress and the administration can deliver reforms that boost legal immigration by one million people a year and tailor the policy to prioritize workers who meet the needs of our economy, the Minneapolis Fed estimates growth would increase by at least 0.5 percentage point a year under the most conservative assumptions, with no corresponding increase in the deficit.”

This kerfuffle over DACA is just a smokescreen.

The Dems are desperate to change the subject from the Russia-Russia-Russia imbroglio **** pie that they created and that they're now sitting squarely in and are up to their neck in filth. Greedy, greedy, greedy. Dems are greedy for money and power... our money and absolute power. 

!@#$ them. They're going to get what they deserve. 

Take a look at the Republican-sponsored bill Paul Ryan is trying to keep from coming up for a vote in the House:

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/368168-house-gop-presses-harder-line-goodlatte-immigration-bill

It's considered a "hardline" pro-enforcement bill. But it basically also regularizes DACA by legislation. It isn't a "path to citizenship" or even to permanent residency. But as everyone knows, it will some day transform into that as all temporary legal statuses do.  I mention this because it's a sign of exactly how far Obama moved the goalposts. It is, in fact, a legislated amnesty for the current DACA recipients. This would have been unthinkable for a Republican to propose in 2011, when Obama created DACA. Now it's the "hardline" position. People should keep that in mind when they consider how much either side is willing to move ...

My heart doesn't bleed for those here illegally, so screw the Dems if this is the hill they want to die on.  This whole argument is a farce, and is simply a detraction from what is truly important at the current real news cycle - the FBI/DOJ scandal.  I don't think history will look favorably on the Dems on this one, even if they're given the MSM cover for the moment.

And I'm tired of them referring to it by simply the acronym, as it tends to lose its meaning.  It is Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals:  translation: we don't immediately deport underage illegals.  But why not?  Why treat them any differently than any other illegal?  I think that answer is clear:  chain-migration.  Give these DACA people some type of legal status, and they can then bring their families along for the ride.  I say 'no thanks'.

1 hour ago, TtownBillsFan said:

My heart doesn't bleed for those here illegally, so screw the Dems if this is the hill they want to die on.  This whole argument is a farce, and is simply a detraction from what is truly important at the current real news cycle - the FBI/DOJ scandal.  I don't think history will look favorably on the Dems on this one, even if they're given the MSM cover for the moment.

And I'm tired of them referring to it by simply the acronym, as it tends to lose its meaning.  It is Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals:  translation: we don't immediately deport underage illegals.  But why not?  Why treat them any differently than any other illegal?  I think that answer is clear:  chain-migration.  Give these DACA people some type of legal status, and they can then bring their families along for the ride.  I say 'no thanks'.

Every poll I've seen has shown at least 80% of Americans support amnesty for DACA recipients (87% in CBS poll released today) so the Dems know they have a winner there.  Do I think it was worth shutting the government down over?  No.  They made this move with only their base in mind and not the American people as a whole (like I've criticized Trump for doing at times like calling NFL players SOB's).

I also suspect they made this move because they have Trump on camera (by his own doing) saying he'd sign any bipartisan deal on immigration they bring to the table and that he'd take all the heat for it.  They did and he rejected it with the overhyped "shithole" comment.  Also the timing was right in the Dems minds with the upcoming State of the Union and his one year anniversary of Trump's presidency.  I agree with you that this may backfire on them though.  It didn't for Republicans in '13, but we'll see what happens.

FWIW, McConnell voted against a measure to keep military funded during shutdown and McConnell couldn't even get 50 Republicans to agree to the CR so I doubt his sincerity.  Also, four Republicans voted against the CR (including Lee and Paul) and five Democrats voted for it so this isn't just a typical Democratic/Republican stalemate.  Do you buy their argument that to use their phrase they "can't keep kicking the can down the road" when it comes to government funding?

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Every poll I've seen has shown at least 80% of Americans support amnesty for DACA recipients (87% in CBS poll released today) so the Dems know they have a winner there.  Do I think it was worth shutting the government down over?  No.  They made this move with only their base in mind and not the American people as a whole (like I've criticized Trump for doing at times like calling NFL players SOB's).

I also suspect they made this move because they have Trump on camera (by his own doing) saying he'd sign any bipartisan deal on immigration they bring to the table and that he'd take all the heat for it.  They did and he rejected it with the overhyped "shithole" comment.  Also the timing was right in the Dems minds with the upcoming State of the Union and his one year anniversary of Trump's presidency.  I agree with you that this may backfire on them though.  It didn't for Republicans in '13, but we'll see what happens.

If by didn't backfire for R's in 2013 was in relation to the 2014 mid-terms, you're 100% correct;  it didn't.  But I think that had more to do with the short-term memory of the electorate.  And honestly, I don't think this shut-down will have any affect on the mid-terms this year.  I'd hope, if it did, that this time the electorate would properly punish those filibustering over something so trivial.

I'm aware of the polls you mention, but I think if you asked the average person an honest question such as "Should the government be shut down so that illegals aren't deported", they'd answer no.  That's a straight question that even forgoes the complexities of the issue.  But that's essentially what the D's are doing right now.  And I hope when it all shakes out at election time later this year, that's the light it'll be seen in.

Since I've not really posted on this site much, and on this side of the board especially, I'll go on the record stating that I'm fully against illegal immigration, and 100% for streamlining the immigration policy to bring in the best and brightest.  I come from this stance as someone with several friends and co-workers that immigrated her legally, and I know what they went through to do so.  Every person that comes here illegally, and is granted any kind of status, is a gut-punch to those that did it the right (and extremely difficult, time-consuming, and expensive) way.  We're a nation of laws;  and I believe each time we allow someone to subvert those laws, it diminishes what we stand for. 

7 minutes ago, TtownBillsFan said:

If by didn't backfire for R's in 2013 was in relation to the 2014 mid-terms, you're 100% correct;  it didn't.  But I think that had more to do with the short-term memory of the electorate.  And honestly, I don't think this shut-down will have any affect on the mid-terms this year.  I'd hope, if it did, that this time the electorate would properly punish those filibustering over something so trivial.

I'm aware of the polls you mention, but I think if you asked the average person an honest question such as "Should the government be shut down so that illegals aren't deported", they'd answer no.  That's a straight question that even forgoes the complexities of the issue.  But that's essentially what the D's are doing right now.  And I hope when it all shakes out at election time later this year, that's the light it'll be seen in.

Since I've not really posted on this site much, and on this side of the board especially, I'll go on the record stating that I'm fully against illegal immigration, and 100% for streamlining the immigration policy to bring in the best and brightest.  I come from this stance as someone with several friends and co-workers that immigrated her legally, and I know what they went through to do so.  Every person that comes here illegally, and is granted any kind of status, is a gut-punch to those that did it the right (and extremely difficult, time-consuming, and expensive) way.  We're a nation of laws;  and I believe each time we allow someone to subvert those laws, it diminishes what we stand for. 

2014 and 2016.  The opposition to the  ACA was their golden ticket and they won whenever Obama wasn't on the ballot.  I'm 100% against illegal immigration and I wish they'd be more aggressive in deportations and build the darn wall.  When it comes to these DACA kids/young adults though, I think they should be granted amnesty as they were basically dragged here as children (under age 16).  They have to meet certain guidelines such as being in school, having a job, and not commit a felony or have three misdemeanors.  I'd trade them for some natural born Americans that I see milking the system on a daily basis. 

To me this is was a know brainer.  Funding for the wall, end to chain migration, and a merit based lottery system in exchange for amnesty to DACA recipients.  We'll see what happens.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

2014 and 2016.  The opposition to the  ACA was their golden ticket and they won whenever Obama wasn't on the ballot.  I'm 100% against illegal immigration and I wish they'd be more aggressive in deportations and build the darn wall.  When it comes to these DACA kids/young adults though, I think they should be granted amnesty as they were basically dragged here as children (under age 16).  They have to meet certain guidelines such as being in school, having a job, and not commit a felony or have three misdemeanors.  I'd trade them for some natural born Americans that I see milking the system on a daily basis. 

To me this is was a know brainer.  Funding for the wall, end to chain migration, and a merit based lottery system in exchange for amnesty to DACA recipients.  We'll see what happens.

I can agree to all of the above, so long as they are never, ever, EVER grated any voting rights.  That is the deal-breaker for me.  And the end to chain-migration MUST be a part of any deal agreed to.  So yeah, like I said, agreed to all :)

4 hours ago, TtownBillsFan said:

I can agree to all of the above, so long as they are never, ever, EVER grated any voting rights.  That is the deal-breaker for me.  And the end to chain-migration MUST be a part of any deal agreed to.  So yeah, like I said, agreed to all :)

The children of immigrants, plus the children of a much more diverse electorate are already radically changing the voting population. Texas will go blue sooner than most people think as the majority of students graduating from high school are Hispanic. Virginia has already fallen to the Democracy and  other southern states are moving in that direction (NC, SC, Georgia with Florida getting closer everyday). Trump and the GOP are only speeding up the process of a Democratic majority with their foolishness, anti-fact based reality and mean spiritness. 

The president has been an erratic negotiator in recent days, throwing already-contentious talks into disarray.

After initially suggesting he would support any bipartisan proposal lawmakers could come up with, Trump rejected a proposal authored by Graham, a Republican, and Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin, D-Ill., on the advice of more conservative lawmakers and his own top White House aides.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/19/579077883/president-trump-shutdown-coming

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ALF said:

The president has been an erratic negotiator in recent days, throwing already-contentious talks into disarray.

After initially suggesting he would support any bipartisan proposal lawmakers could come up with, Trump rejected a proposal authored by Graham, a Republican, and Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin, D-Ill., on the advice of more conservative lawmakers and his own top White House aides.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/19/579077883/president-trump-shutdown-coming

B.S.

4 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

B.S.

How so ?

WASHINGTON — President Trump on Tuesday appeared open to negotiating a sweeping immigration deal that would eventually grant millions of undocumented immigrants a pathway to citizenship, declaring that he was willing to “take the heat” politically for an approach that seemed to flatly contradict the anti-immigration stance that charged his political rise.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/us/politics/trump-daca-immigration.html