Bills miss out on London games for '18-'19 season

Roundybout

The thing about UK sports fans, is that they are generally pretty clued up about a lot of sports. The failure of NFLE in London, was about not being prepared to watch a sub-standard product. The same thing happened with the pre-season games that used to occur from time to time. People expect to see the real deal, and if it isn't, they aren't going to show up. Give them the real thing, and they are both happy and keen to watch.

Now, the 'London Series', actually puts on proper games, and consequently pretty much sells out, as fans of the NFL generally, will go and watch those games. While there might be a bit more of a preponderance of fans from the teams who are playing, there will also be plenty of fans from other teams, who go just to watch a real game.

The link that Khan has through ownership of both Fulham FC, and the Jags, is one that simply greases the way for the London games, mostly from a logistical standpoint. For anyone who actually has a clue about Fulham, even if they gave all of their supporters freebies the day before a game, they couldn't fill even one end of Wembley, let alone all of it.

Irrespective of whether or not people like it, the London games are almost certainly viewed as a success by the corporate NFL, as it increases their merchandising reach, and also, and probably more importantly, their advertising and sponsorship reach. That the games sell out, and not cheaply, is almost a bonus.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It's not because you don't give a rat's ass.... it is because you think you somehow have a monopoly on enjoying and understanding it. You don't. The NFL gets that. Sadly many of its fans don't. 

I am not trying to be disrespectful of your opinion, however, I feel you are going the wrong way on this debate though. We don't care if European fans enjoy NFL. We don't care if they don't enjoy NFL. To ea his own. Americans are kind of that way. Free to chose what you like and go for it.

I do not believe Americans feel all self righteous over monopolizing and understanding NFL. Anyone can study it and in a few short hours and a few games watched can understand it just fine.

I will never fall into that age old liberal trap that we are all the big bad Americans with no empathy. Not buying that for a second.

OK I am off my soap box now...sorry to derail your thread.

Edited by cba fan

4 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

NFL is dumb and greedy. 

Why?  Because they are playing a game in London (again)?

3 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

I’m well aware of that.

I’m saying it’s not normal for the body to have a 9 hour time change two times, in the span of 3 to 4 days 

They aren't flying to Mars.  This isn't hardship.

7 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

3 west coast teams flying halfway around the world!!!

Im sure the players love that.

This crap can stop any day now

2 are AFC teams, potential WC teams in way, though I want that division and feel it's doable with an upgrade on offense

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why?  Because they are playing a game in London (again)?

They aren't flying to Mars.  This isn't hardship.

Where did I say they are flying to mars?

I just stated the time change and how it would be very difficult to switch 9 hour time zones twice in the span of 3 to 4 days.

7 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Praise the Lord! The sooner these games go away the better the NFL will be.

Why?  How will cancelling these games improve the NFL?  If you read any comments from anyone who went to our London game it is clear they really enjoyed it (except for the result of course).  I have been supporting the Bills from 1984 and finally got to see them in London.  We met with loads of Bills fans and had a great time.  I live in Ireland and on the way over the plane was full of people going to the game.  Why would you want to deprive anyone of that?  Also, in years where the Bills are not in London (like next year) it might be helpful to the Bills.  During the London games you also get to watch three NFL games in a day if you so wish.  

I understand that fans would not be happy to lose a home game to London but an away game against say the Pats, Miami or a West Coast team moved to London would negate the home field advantage for those teams.

If the Bills ever play in England (or Ireland :D) again I suggest you try to attend and then you will be able to have a more informed opinion.

2 minutes ago, tlfcbb said:

Why?  How will cancelling these games improve the NFL?  If you read any comments from anyone who went to our London game it is clear they really enjoyed it (except for the result of course).  I have been supporting the Bills from 1984 and finally got to see them in London.  We met with loads of Bills fans and had a great time.  I live in Ireland and on the way over the plane was full of people going to the game.  Why would you want to deprive anyone of that?  Also, in years where the Bills are not in London (like next year) it might be helpful to the Bills.  During the London games you also get to watch three NFL games in a day if you so wish.  

I understand that fans would not be happy to lose a home game to London but an away game against say the Pats, Miami or a West Coast team moved to London would negate the home field advantage for those teams.

If the Bills ever play in England (or Ireland :D) again I suggest you try to attend and then you will be able to have a more informed opinion.

Hear, hear.  Welcome to the board tflcbb. Always good to have Bills fans from these isles in this community.  

The air travel  between London and Seattle is  4,799 miles. If you travel with an airplane (which has average speed of 560 miles) from London to Seattle, It takes 8.57 hours to arrive.

The flight distance from Los Angeles International Airport to Heathrow Airport is 5456 miles 

Edited by ALF
added info

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hear, hear.  Welcome to the board tflcbb. Always good to have Bills fans from these isles in this community.  

Thanks Gunner. I don't post too much but this topic is close to my heart.  I was hoping and praying yesterday that we would be one of the teams coming over (although I really didn't expect it).  I take it going to White Heart Lane will be a trip into enemy territory for you.

I know the previous Steelers owner (Dan Rooney) was very keen to get a game over to Ireland.  I think he was also the Irish ambassador in America.  Hopefully it will happen some day.  We have hosted two college games in the last two years so hopefully that is laying the ground work for the NFL.

10 minutes ago, tlfcbb said:

Thanks Gunner. I don't post too much but this topic is close to my heart.  I was hoping and praying yesterday that we would be one of the teams coming over (although I really didn't expect it).  I take it going to White Heart Lane will be a trip into enemy territory for you.

I know the previous Steelers owner (Dan Rooney) was very keen to get a game over to Ireland.  I think he was also the Irish ambassador in America.  Hopefully it will happen some day.  We have hosted two college games in the last two years so hopefully that is laying the ground work for the NFL.

It will be a trip into enemy territory but it is actually the closest Premier League ground to my home (or certainly was I think the Olympic Stadium may now actually be slightly closer). 

I'd like to see the Bills back in the UK at some point... but my first priority is getting over to Buffalo for a game.  

10 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Where did I say they are flying to mars?

I just stated the time change and how it would be very difficult to switch 9 hour time zones twice in the span of 3 to 4 days.

It's really not that difficult.  Plus, they will be pampered like few other travelers before and after they play a game.

2 hours ago, tlfcbb said:

It isnt about attending a game there. I have been a season ticket holder for many many years and I have travelled the world- I like our 8 games right here at home, where they belong. As soon as your teams game goes over there you have lost 1 game of home field advantage.

As for watching 3 games as you wish, you already can because of the Sunday night game. Also, not many people stateside want to watch a game at 0900, 0800, 0700, or 0600. How many west coasters are up at 0600 to watch? Not good for TV ratings.

Having games in London has been a play to permanently put a team there- what a logistical nightmare that will be. Add in China/Mexico and we are slowly losing our product that, imo belongs here! 

Anyways, I respect your opinion, I get that you like the lure of being able to attend a game because you live in Ireland. I feel there is alot more to it than that.

Edited by billsfan_34

17 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

I’m well aware of that.

I’m saying it’s not normal for the body to have a 9 hour time change two times, in the span of 3 to 4 days 

Easy solution, have them play an East Coast game either before or after (or both) so the time zone change is not as bad. 

15 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Having games in London has been a play to permanently put a team there- what a logistical nightmare that will be. Add in China/Mexico and we are slowly losing our product that, imo belongs here! 

Why does it "belong" there?