We need a stop gap QB and it can't be Tyrod

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

I'd take Sam Bradford being my stop gap with Lamar Jackson on deck. I don't want to give up any draft picks. Need them all to make team better.

I like Bradford, but L. Jackson scares me.  I'd prefer Rudolph at that spot.  

2 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

Sam Bradford, he would be happy to show he can play with his repaired knee. Pay him a little and give him an opportunity to earn a better Contract after a year or two by then our draft pick will be good to go.  When he stays healthy he’s a quality QB.  

He might be happy to show he can play with his repaired knee, but you won't be happy when his repaired knee gives out in training camp, despite your great precautions of hiding all bath mats.  

I also suspect that his idea of a little contract for a year or two, and yours, may vary.  And there will be other suitors.  The league is that hungry.

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I like Bradford, but L. Jackson scares me.  I'd prefer Rudolph at that spot.  

Jackson's best bet would be as a WR as a few scouts have reportedly said. I have watched him the past two years living just outside Louisville and he is a great athlete but a poor passer and too frequently a turnover machine.. Did you catch his bowl game? He stunk. This a fools gold at best. "Avoid"....

Edit: After referring to Jackson's posted 40 time of 4.78, WR may not be an option after Al despite what some experts have said.

Edited by Spiderweb
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Sen a number of posts in past month or so about trading TT and what could you get for him. I don't follow this stuff as close as many, but tell me where I'm wrong.

The trade deadline has long past so you can't trade him until the 2018 NFL season starts which I believe is March  1st.

On the 3rd day of the 2018 NFL season, TT's bonus kicks in for is it $6 million??

So that means there's a two day window that you could trade him in before the bonus kicks in??

If we trade him after March 3rd, I'd assume the cap him would be larger due to paying him the bonus.

Certainly you could "unofficially, off the books" work out a trade prior to March 1st, but why would anyone trade for him when you'd assume there's a real good change the Bills will cut him prior to paying the bonus.

Am I missing something here, or way off base.

You are outlining why Tyrod has no trade value.

Some folks here don't get that.

5 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Close. Per spotrac, Tyrod's $6M roster bonus is due 3/16/18, with $1M fully guaranteed at signing..  The Bills have 2 weeks to try and trade him before he has to be cut, if that is what they want to do.  He'll most likely end up getting cut and picked up by another team in FA.

The league year begins on 3/14. Only two days to make the trade.

We already have a stop gap QB. I say if we can't get 'our guy', don't get stupid and sign an avg QB for big money long term or you're either gonna eat a lot of dead money or just remain an average team. 

The goal is not the playoffs. The goal is to win the SB and none of the current FA's look like they have what it takes.

If we can't get a great QB, wait until next year. No thanks to all the guys that are FA's for a reason.

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

You are outlining why Tyrod has no trade value.

Some folks here don't get that.

He has some value. If I am a GM seeing him as the best stopgap out there then I would toss the Bills something to beat the rush in FA. 

Now is the value limited? It definitely is. I'd be shocked if the Bills were able to get something in the first 4 rounds for him. I could see two 5ths or a 5th and a 6th maybe. 

The Bills may take the view that at that price they may as well keep him as their own stop gap - who knows? I suspect it depends on how aggressive they intend on being in FA. Do they need the money that they would be giving Tyrod to help rebuild other areas of the team? Cutting Alexander, trading Tyrod and trading Glenn would give them about $60m of space with EJ Gaines being maybe the only FA of their own that  they might want to re-sign and that is likely to cost any kind of serious money. 

14 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Close. Per spotrac, Tyrod's $6M roster bonus is due 3/16/18, with $1M fully guaranteed at signing..  The Bills have 2 weeks to try and trade him before he has to be cut, if that is what they want to do.  He'll most likely end up getting cut and picked up by another team in FA.

Actually  no.  You are correct about the March 16th date.  However where I was wrong I stated the NFL Off season started March 1st, it actually starts the 14th, so it is still a two day window. 

9 hours ago, GreggTX said:

We already have a stop gap QB. I say if we can't get 'our guy', don't get stupid and sign an avg QB for big money long term or you're either gonna eat a lot of dead money or just remain an average team. 

The goal is not the playoffs. The goal is to win the SB and none of the current FA's look like they have what it takes.

If we can't get a great QB, wait until next year. No thanks to all the guys that are FA's for a reason.

You know how downtrodden and frustrated a fan base is when they're hoping for Red Rocket or Alex "Average" Smith... 

You're absolutely right about not getting stupid with money. Kirk Cousins would be a stupid signing due to the $ involved. No one is winning anything with Cousins, Dalton, or Smith, but Cousins and possibly Dalton (last I read) could be free agents which means bidding wars. Dumb teams pay dumb money for average players. Smith is due something like $14.5M next year and there are different bonuses. While his stats are better than TT's, the Chiefs only won one more game than the Bills despite scoring more points and having a (slightly) better defense. Both of which were average (points/game).

The fear, for a fan, would be that the brass thinks that an average QB could propel the team to new heights. That would cause Pegula to spend money for average play, much like the Dolphins did with Tannehill.

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

How much do you think the Dolphins missed Tannehill this season?  I'd think quite a bit.

He's better than Cutler, but I don't think Tannehill is the answer either. He should be considered the transition QB, but the Fins think he's THE answer. 8-8 or 9-7 with him this year. 

There aren't many good QBs in the NFL right now. While I'm no evaluator of who will be good, it's usually pretty easy to gauge who will be bad and who won't help teams. If the Bills can upgrade from TT (easy) at a cap friendly price and without giving away too much (harder to do) sure. The Bills have more issues than just QB. A defense that's 18th in points allowed and 26th in yards allowed is a great place to start. 

2 minutes ago, ricko1112 said:

There aren't many good QBs in the NFL right now. While I'm no evaluator of who will be good, it's usually pretty easy to gauge who will be bad and who won't help teams. If the Bills can upgrade from TT (easy) at a cap friendly price and without giving away too much (harder to do) sure. The Bills have more issues than just QB. A defense that's 18th in points allowed and 26th in yards allowed is a great place to start. 

Agree.  QB is the 800 lb gorilla in the room, but the DLine needs to be overhauled - 2 DTs and a pass rushing DE.  Besides that, I can also see MLB being upgraded.

Then there is the OLine - probably need a Guard and Tackle, but McDermott needs to make a decision as to what type of blocking scheme he wants to use next season.  We need to win more battles in the trenches, which has hurt us this year...on both sides of the ball.

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Agree.  QB is the 800 lb gorilla in the room, but the DLine needs to be overhauled - 2 DTs and a pass rushing DE.  Besides that, I can also see MLB being upgraded.

Then there is the OLine - probably need a Guard and Tackle, but McDermott needs to make a decision as to what type of blocking scheme he wants to use next season.  We need to win more battles in the trenches, which has hurt us this year...on both sides of the ball.

Even though I'm not a Bills fan, it was frustrating to watch the game against the Jags. 3 stinking points! I guess the Bills really do need to do something at QB. Hope you have a productive offseason! 

• Thank you (+1) 1