McDermott and Beane Will Hold an End of Season Presser on 1-9 at 1 PM ET

38 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm sure they are considering it. I think they are considering it at the rate he has, and they should, even though he is not going to be a franchise guy. If they drafted a QB in the first round and keep Tyrod, they have likely the best backup in the league.

If he's willing to restructure, then yeah I think he would be a top 5, if not the best, backup in the league and the ultimate Joe Webb type of gadget/trick play guy. Get him some reps as a HB/WR, too. Why not? 

43 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm sure they are considering it. I think they are considering it at the rate he has, and they should, even though he is not going to be a franchise guy. If they drafted a QB in the first round and keep Tyrod, they have likely the best backup in the league.

Does Tyrod seem like the kind of guy who is going to be able to teach a rookie how to read defenses and how to react in certain situations?

Doesn't seem like a good role fit to me.   They would be much better off getting Fitzpatrick back to do that.    Fitzy would say "just chuck it man".  "Who cares". :lol:

This press conference was a whole lot of nothing in terms of the expected vague responses, but still think big changes are coming especially on offense.

And even though it's a forgone conclusion TT is going to be released or traded, the smart move would also be to dump Dennison especially if they want NP to continue to develop properly and be set up for success as the starter next year.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

These two guys both put a huge emphasis on character, football character, leadership, preparation, classwork, team first philosophy, and everything associated with those things. Without taking into consideration what you think of Tyrod on the field, he gets an A+ from these guys on all of those, and they mentioned it, which will go a long way in determining whether or not he is on the team next year.

Just because you may think they have moved on from him, or that he will never be a franchise QB, don't just assume they do. That stuff is huge to them, and there is going to be a solid veteran QB here next year.

I got 20 bucks says he is gone.

I dont think any announcement on the fate of Taylor will be announced until league year begins in March.....they got i believe 3 days after to dump him or pay the bonus........in the interm just get a new OC for crying out loud.....

Edited by JPP

3 minutes ago, papazoid said:

TT is gone

no way bills keep him for $18 mil

unless he restructures and takes a 12 mill paycut for a backup....lol......no they wont keep him for that $$$......i just hope they dump dennison...get a FA QB vet...and a QB in draft......in that order please.....if not....than let Mccoy go so the guy can actually go to a team that will compete for the lombardi before his time runs out....he deserves it.....

45 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Does Tyrod seem like the kind of guy who is going to be able to teach a rookie how to read defenses and how to react in certain situations?

Doesn't seem like a good role fit to me.   They would be much better off getting Fitzpatrick back to do that.    Fitzy would say "just chuck it man".  "Who cares". :lol:

Peterman already does that so perfect mentor 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

These two guys both put a huge emphasis on character, football character, leadership, preparation, classwork, team first philosophy, and everything associated with those things. Without taking into consideration what you think of Tyrod on the field, he gets an A+ from these guys on all of those, and they mentioned it, which will go a long way in determining whether or not he is on the team next year.

Just because you may think they have moved on from him, or that he will never be a franchise QB, don't just assume they do. That stuff is huge to them, and there is going to be a solid veteran QB here next year.

Time will tell- my guess is at an 18 mil cap savings and less than pedestrian numbers, he is gone. You wanna win consistently? Well you better have a QB that can sling the rock and make all the NFL throws! 

Agree those things are very big with them; disagree that means Tyrod's future is still undetermined because he excels at those sorts of things.

He's gone.

• Like (+1) 1

That would be Oakland.

• Haha (+1) 1

I finally just had a chance to listen to the PC.

My 2 takeaways are:

1) They will replace anyone on the coaching staff if they firmly believe a change will upgrade the team as a whole.

2) They will absolutely move up in the draft, wheel, deal, and do whatever it takes in the draft to "get it done" if they believe a deal is there to be had in order to get it done.

3 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

People keep saying that. But, as I went over in that Alex Smith thread, there are some real problems. We don't have the draft capital to get into the top 2 spots, and even if we did, the top 2 QB's taken in the last two years were not supposed to start Week 1 and most didn't. Wentz did, because Philly fleeced Minny by trading Bradford, and his uneven season in 2016 should be a warning. And that was with very high picks. Goff and Trubinsky were tire fires their first years.

Cutting Taylor gets dead cap of $8.6 million. Toss that on top of paying a schlub second rater like Smith, Cousins, or Bradford a going rate of $22 million a year on the open market and you are in cap hell.

Unless we get my fantasy of trading a bevy of draft picks for Andrew Luck, here is my reasonable prediction of what happens.

1) Dorsey gets hired as our OC

2) Taylor is retained

3) The McBeane duo selects a rookie to be "their guy", and moved heaven and Earth to get him.

4) Open competition in TC. Likely Taylor holds it down, but if not, some team has had a QB emergency, and they can at least clear the books for a token pick.

5) At some point within the season, the rookie takes over

6) Taylor is off the books in 2019, with our dead money rolling over to bid on a new crop of FAs

This is generally what I think will most likely unfold, too.  And we share the same fantasy of managing a trade for Andrew Luck, but I had more hope for that when I thought the Colts might end up with the #2 pick.  With the #3 I think that long shot is even less likely.

So much depends on who might be available, and there's a lot of shaking of the tree to be done yet, as to where them apples are falling.

I really can't see Tyrod being here next season, unless all the other options are taken away. And then it's just until we get a drafted QB ready. Even at $18 million, he's not too expensive under those circumstances.

For all his other faults, the biggest knock you can make on Tyrod, is his inability to win a game for you, from a FG or TD behind. I think in his career here, he's done it twice, and been unable to do it, in the region of about 10 times. That simply isn't good enough, irrespective of any other stat people might wish to quote. Fcol, I think EJ managed it twice.

Thank you for summing up the primary reason I think Taylor has a really good chance to be back next year :thumbsup: