Watkins FA Value

Virgil

1 minute ago, H2o said:

San Fran would be his best bet if he wants to put up the numbers to repair his stock. I still think LA keeps him because of what they gave up. 

LA has a hard choice to make.  They probably didn't expect Kupp to be this good, this quickly.  Watkins doesn't really fit what Goff is good at, so they'd be paying him a lot of money to run clearout routes and catch 2-4 balls per game.  That said, they may get stuck in the "sunk cost" fallacy that many NFL GMs fall prey to (because of CYA) and feel the need to justify the trade by paying him.  And they have the benefit of having Goff signed up on a low cost rookie contract, with few holes on the roster.  In fact, their roster is STACKED, their defense is chock full of #1 picks.  They need a tight end and probably some young offensive linemen but that's about it.  So in sum, who knows?

9 hours ago, pinmike13 said:

tough drop to end the game. He should have caught it.

Agree but something I've noticed this year is that as their long ball threat Goff constantly underthrows him. Raises at least a question in my mind as to Goff's armstrength long ball accuracy.

5 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Agree but something I've noticed this year is that as their long ball threat Goff constantly underthrows him. Raises at least a question in my mind as to Goff's armstrength long ball accuracy.

So, Goff, Tyrod, EJ and Kyles fault?

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

Now that Sammy’s season is over and Free Agency awaits him, I’m curious as to what his value will be. 

As a Bills fan, we saw glimpses of brilliance.  Many of us argued that his lack of production was because he was a decoy, we didn’t have a QB that could get him the ball, or he had nagging injuries. 

This seaon, all of those excuses were gone and he still disappears from games. I can’t understand how his obvious potential doesn’t sustain in games, but the result is what it is. 

To me, the 2nd round pick and Gaines was a robbery by us. 

With all of that, what kind of deal do you think he pulls in and where does he go?

I think he either settles for a 1 year deal or gets 3 years at 8-10 mil from someone like the Bears. 

Thoughts?

I respectfully but strenuously disagree with you. Watkins joined the Rams relatively late. He didn't have an opportunity to work with the qb in the offseason. So he didn't have the time to develop a chemistry with him. If you watched some Ram games it's obvious that the emerging qb doesn't look toward Sammy as a primary receiver as he does with Kupp and Woods. If Watkins stays with the Rams I'm confident that he will become more of a primary receiver and have his share of big plays. 

I disagree with you that getting a second round pick and Gaines for Watkins was a steal. That isn't to say that it wasn't a good deal for us because it certainly was. I like Gaines a lot. When he plays the backfield unit is much tighter. Overall, this deal was good for us in  our situation and will prove good for the Rams (assuming Watkins stays) in the long run. 

In my view anyone who undervalues the abundant talents of Watkins is making a mistake. From a talent standpoint he is in the top tier. So far because of the challenging circumstances it has not translated into a matching production. I'm confident that it will. 

Just now, fansince88 said:

So, Goff, Tyrod, EJ and Kyles fault?

I said he should have caught that ball (in case you didn't notice). The point I was making had more to do with Goff than Sammy. I see him often underthrowing Sammy after he has beaten his man. He's a good short/intermediate passer but it's got me wondering about his long ball accuracy and arm strength.

Just now, starrymessenger said:

I said he should have caught that ball (in case you didn't notice). The point I was making had more to do with Goff than Sammy. I see him often underthrowing Sammy after he has beaten his man. He's a good short/intermediate passer but it's got me wondering about his long ball accuracy and arm strength.

Take it easy....WE ARE IN!!!

Also recognize that we also blamed all of these QB's and his injury prone issues over the years. I think it is Sammy.

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I respectfully but strenuously disagree with you. Watkins joined the Rams relatively late. He didn't have an opportunity to work with the qb in the offseason. So he didn't have the time to develop a chemistry with him. If you watched some Ram games it's obvious that the emerging qb doesn't look toward Sammy as a primary receiver as he does with Kupp and Woods. If Watkins stays with the Rams I'm confident that he will become more of a primary receiver and have his share of big plays. 

I disagree with you that getting a second round pick and Gaines for Watkins was a steal. That isn't to say that it wasn't a good deal for us because it certainly was. I like Gaines a lot. When he plays the backfield unit is much tighter. Overall, this deal was good for us in  our situation and will prove good for the Rams (assuming Watkins stays) in the long run. 

In my view anyone who undervalues the abundant talents of Watkins is making a mistake. From a talent standpoint he is in the top tier. So far because of the challenging circumstances it has not translated into a matching production. I'm confident that it will. 

His problem isn't his talent, it never was.  Sammy is all about the mental game.  He has had a difficult time with that throughout his career so far.  IF that changes THEN his numbers will change.  Otherwise, this is who Sammy is, a decoy

28 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

LA has a hard choice to make.  They probably didn't expect Kupp to be this good, this quickly.  Watkins doesn't really fit what Goff is good at, so they'd be paying him a lot of money to run clearout routes and catch 2-4 balls per game.  That said, they may get stuck in the "sunk cost" fallacy that many NFL GMs fall prey to (because of CYA) and feel the need to justify the trade by paying him.  And they have the benefit of having Goff signed up on a low cost rookie contract, with few holes on the roster.  In fact, their roster is STACKED, their defense is chock full of #1 picks.  They need a tight end and probably some young offensive linemen but that's about it.  So in sum, who knows?

I dont expect him back in LA.  He will go to whoever pays him most and a team that pitches him as the go to guy.  I think he ends up in cleveland.  They overpay and becomes the guy for a rookie qb.

Edited by Mat68

Dallas, Carolina, maybe titans. I always liked woods more because he could block and go over the middle without being scarred. Woods is worth his money sammy is not. My guess is a 2 years 18 million contract from one of these teams.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

His problem isn't his talent, it never was.  Sammy is all about the mental game.  He has had a difficult time with that throughout his career so far.  IF that changes THEN his numbers will change.  Otherwise, this is who Sammy is, a decoy

In Buffalo Sammy simply didn't have a qb who could reliably pass. No question that Watkins acted out because of his frustration. While others harshly criticize him because of his intense competitiveness I'm less willing to do so. I'll take a ferocious player who at times allows it to go too far  over a less intense player who is more passive. Was Sammy too selfish and stat conscious in Buffalo? Yes. But that's not surprising for a young player who is super confident. I believe over time his intensity will be more properly channeled. The maturation process is not an instant process. I believe in his talent. And I believe that LA with its qb is a good situation for him.

43 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

He dropped one right between his arms on the fly yesterday all Samuel had to do was wrap his hands around it any half assed receiver would have had it.

I wanted us to keep Woods, badly. Big heart, plays and practises hard, while often playing hurt and with no complaints.  A bit 'old school' maybe, but all the signs of a proper football player. While 'only' a #2 WR, you would have him on the field every down for his blocking downfield as well.

No idea really what sort of deal Watkins might get tbh, apart from the fact it won't be the alleged $14million per, he was wanting from the Bills.

I don't think the Rams will just wave goodbye to him, however, as I think they wanted him for both the future and the present. I'd assume they would have known what his likely contract demands would be, so were willing to get close to that sort of money - at least when they traded for him. Their biggest problem will be in assessing if they believe he can get back to his 1st and 2nd year numbers, when he did actually realize a fair amount of his 'potential'.

Statistically, he's never averaged less than 15 ypc, so in that respect, he's the same player, but his actual catches have fallen by half over a full season for the Rams, as opposed to a full season with the Bills. If the Rams think that's due to a lack of a TC with them, then they might still pony up.

3 minutes ago, Buddo said:

I wanted us to keep Woods, badly. Big heart, plays and practises hard, while often playing hurt and with no complaints.  A bit 'old school' maybe, but all the signs of a proper football player. While 'only' a #2 WR, you would have him on the field every down for his blocking downfield as well.

No idea really what sort of deal Watkins might get tbh, apart from the fact it won't be the alleged $14million per, he was wanting from the Bills.

I don't think the Rams will just wave goodbye to him, however, as I think they wanted him for both the future and the present. I'd assume they would have known what his likely contract demands would be, so were willing to get close to that sort of money - at least when they traded for him. Their biggest problem will be in assessing if they believe he can get back to his 1st and 2nd year numbers, when he did actually realize a fair amount of his 'potential'.

Statistically, he's never averaged less than 15 ypc, so in that respect, he's the same player, but his actual catches have fallen by half over a full season for the Rams, as opposed to a full season with the Bills. If the Rams think that's due to a lack of a TC with them, then they might still pony up.

He(Bob) would have ate almost all the cap room,just could not afford that luxury.

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Is Sammy the most overrated player in Bills history? The way the fans reacted compared to how he actually played is a massive difference.

He's in the conversation. The fans crying over the Gaines trade was just over the top. You would have thought we just traded Andre Reed in his prime.