Missed Tackles, Jerry Hughes, Preston’s Overturned TD....

Bakin

18 hours ago, Bakin said:

I’m not sure if the stats are available but how many tackles are we missing every week?

it seems to be the most that I’ve seen in a long time. 

Jerry Hughes bungled I believe 2 sure fire sacks though I don’t even know if that qualifies as a missed tackle. 

Wrap em up boys!!!! 

Preston Brown dancing around in glee after the call had been reversed was pure idiocy. Not just him but a number of the guys were mistakenly cheering for the reversal. Shows lack of awareness. Isn’t this the guy who’s captaining our D??

, Riveron !@#$ed us again....

I’ve watched it about a dozen times and I’m not sure what angle he saw other than the one that had a Bills helmet scoring a TD....

Please read the thread directly about the fumble.  I believe there was confusion because the ref stated it was a fumble.  The fumble was confirmed.  The issue is after losing control - Landry’s shoulder hits the out of bounds boundary as his hand is still on the ball - therefore correctly ruled out of bounds.  

I think when the refs said the fumble was ok - the sideline misunderstood the ruling including Preston.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Bakin said:

It’s not serious. And I’m not going out of my way...But my god is was dumb. 

Call is overturned - Preston celebrates. He misunderstood and it was God awful dumb ...took about 16 seconds before someone came up to him and said ‘not a fumble, overturned’. 

You're the one being dumb.

Preston was wicked tired after that run. His teammates were trying to get him to do his dance, but he was like "let me catch my breath for a sec." Shortly after, they were all having fun in the moment and Preston did his dance.

AS HE WAS DANCING (do you understand this? Simultaneously...) the call was made that it was overturned and the players (including Preston) stopped celebrating and became disappointed.

So, you're wrong. You're an idiot.

18 hours ago, White Linen said:

Triplette, IMO, is the worst referee in the game right now.  What was with all the smiling and smirking in referee huddles and while he's announcing the calls?  He's embarrassing himself out there.   

New Years eve, he's having fun.  Could it be that he will retire after this year and will be his last game?  Who knows, but I thought he called a great game.

18 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Triplette has been embarrassing himself for 16+ years now......remember when he almost blinded Orlando Brown with his penalty flag? - guy is a TOTAL moron.  That being said I can totally see the OOB call.......Riveron is digging himself a deep hole in which many owners will gladly throw on the dirt in to cover him up.

It was him and I just saw that Orlando Brown died in 2011 at the age of 40.  

I thought Triplette had a good game.

19 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

Turnover was just that, a turnover. Another fleece job by Riveron, who seems to have it out for us.

Hughes keeps going for the strip, when he could get the sack. Like Shady sometimes, I want to tell him to stop trying to win the game on every play, and win the game one play at a time.

Prestons celebration was a head scratcher. I think when he heard "out of bounds", he thought the ref was saying Preston himself stepped out during the return before scoring. Still a dumbass move.

14 hours ago, John in Jax said:

I agree. From what I saw in HD was that the ball was definitely not firmly in his grasp BEFORE it hit the ground and popped up. IOW, the ball was coming loose before it hit the ground AND before the guy was down.  It should have been a fumble/TD return for the Bills. Same old, same old on the call going against the Bills.

Check out the video again ... https://www.clippituser.tv/c/glrlnm

just before the ball leaves contact with Landry's hand, his shoulder (and maybe more of his side) touches the boundary line. It was the right call

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, White Linen said:

Triplette, IMO, is the worst referee in the game right now.  What was with all the smiling and smirking in referee huddles and while he's announcing the calls?  He's embarrassing himself out there.   

He looked drunk to me, like Joe Namath a few years back.

10 hours ago, White Linen said:

That wasn't my point.  His behavior laughing in those huddles was bizarre.  Pretty serious game that the NFL moved it's time for a serious reason and he's goofing around?  The guys calling the game noticed it too.  There was absolutely no reason for him to be acting like that, there was nothing funny going on during the game.  

I was about to give Triplette a pass there, given how much confusion there was during the scuffle, but these guys are there to get the calls right. They completely botched the numbers of the players on the field, even though they eventually got it right. In the end, it was still funny.

The Fumble: I had taped the game and was able to go back and slow the play down to a frame by frame review. Landry is most definitely NOT touching the out of bounds when he lays the ball on the field.

It seems to me that the league is looking for reasons to make calls more difficult than they actually are. If this is due to Riveron then he needs to be replaced. And even better still, return the referees on the field to being in charge. Somehow the NCAA has been able to do a far better, and faster, job at replay review for many many years now.

1 hour ago, Bills Fan in Haiti said:

just before the ball leaves contact with Landry's hand, his shoulder (and maybe more of his side) touches the boundary line. It was the right call

Thanks for the vid. Landry isn't out until after the ball hits the ground. 

If you believe the ball was moving before he hit the ground, as the refs said they did, it was a terrible overturn and not really even close. Again. 

This is the photo right before Tre White goes out. The Ball has already hit the ground at this point and no part of Landry except his ball-carrying hand has touched the grass. 

snip_20180102083024.jpg

snip_20180102083440.jpg

EDIT--see below. Got it. He's got a fingertip on the ball when his hip touches down. It was the right call. Makes me feel better. 

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bills Fan in Haiti said:

That is some incredibly lucky garbage. He's in the process of fumbling it, but goes out of bounds while still touching it, so it's the right call. Thankfully it didn't matter.

fumble.JPG

18 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

That is some incredibly lucky garbage. He's in the process of fumbling it, but goes out of bounds while still touching it, so it's the right call. Thankfully it didn't matter.

fumble.JPG

Ah--that makes sense. He's not down, but he's still got a fingertip on the fumbled ball. That's why it's out.

So close but looks right. 

In real time, I thought for sure it was out.  

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Ah--that makes sense. He's not down, but he's still got a fingertip on the ball. That's why it's out. 

Yeah, very weird. I'm not sure I've ever seen a play like that, especially one that resulted in a return for TD. 

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

You're the one being dumb.

Preston was wicked tired after that run. His teammates were trying to get him to do his dance, but he was like "let me catch my breath for a sec." Shortly after, they were all having fun in the moment and Preston did his dance.

AS HE WAS DANCING (do you understand this? Simultaneously...) the call was made that it was overturned and the players (including Preston) stopped celebrating and became disappointed.

So, you're wrong. You're an idiot.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. 

All wrong 

the call was made and Preston started dancing. 

And continued to dance as the call was being overturned. 

So so you are wrong and an even bigger idiot. 

6 hours ago, Bills Fan in Haiti said:

Holy **** that is conclusively 'inconclusive" call on field should have stood. !@#$ you Riveron.

I don't see any frame that 100% shows he is touching that ball when he touches out of bounds.

Edited by cba fan

4 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Holy **** that is conclusively 'inconclusive" call on field should have stood. !@#$ you Riveron.

I don't see any frame that 100% shows he is touching that ball when he touches out of bounds.

This was my thought exactly. Just like the TD turnaround against NE, it's definitely NOT "clear and obvious" that he's touching the ball while he is out of bounds. They should have stayed with the ruling on the field; TD Buffalo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, John in Jax said:

I agree. From what I saw in HD was that the ball was definitely not firmly in his grasp BEFORE it hit the ground and popped up. IOW, the ball was coming loose before it hit the ground AND before the guy was down.  It should have been a fumble/TD return for the Bills. Same old, same old on the call going against the Bills.

After the game(s) celebration(s) and the house got back to somewhat normal I went back and reviewed the play.  The ball was clearly loose BEFORE Landry landed OOB.  Another screw job as it was NOT CLEAR EVIDENCE AT ALL.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, elroy16 said:

fumble.JPG

If that is the correct call...then it is just one more rule that needs to be changed!  You should not be able to retain possession just because the player that clearly fumbled is touching the side line AFTER giving up possession of the ball!  This is NOT the same as when a RECOVERING player is touching out of bounds.

Even though on the surface Jerry Hughes has not had a good season, PFF's metrics still has him graded out very well in terms of QB pressure.

Just too bad he couldn't finish on those sacks against Miami and sure would be nice if he had a huge game against St Doug and the Jags this weekend if this team wants to keep the playoff story alive another week.

I turned to my friends, while triplette was smiling with the headphones on, and said(in triplettes voice) "...Hey Mr. Kraft, watch how we screw buffalo again this weekend...."

I saw that reversal coming a mile away, and I thought that the bills players were laughing and dancing because they knew it was such an outrageous overturn that they couldn't help but laugh

On 1/1/2018 at 12:10 PM, White Linen said:

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Bills Fan in Haiti said:

thanks for the clip.  I wasn't going to dig through the game film to see this one again.  however, in the interest of continuing the debate, here's the thing.  frame by frame, I find it impossible to identify the moment the ball left the dark gloved hand of landry v. when it appears his jersey touches the line.  I'm not arguing with you, but can you definitively see that he still has contact with the ball?  I'm wondering because the thing about camera angles is they have limitations. I can most definitely see upholding a no-fumble call if it went that way (much like the Benjamin TD call--had they ruled it incomplete I could understand insufficient evidence to overturn). but here...just seems to me they guessed, and assumed.