Holiday bonus

1 minute ago, Nervous Guy said:

So that is like true profit sharing...right?

I suppose it is, but only salaried employees are eligible.  I wish they'd open it up to hourly employees.  We pay them crap and it doesn't look like that's changing anytime soon.

Plus the 12% is a "target," which can be anywhere between 0-12, at my immediate boss' discretion.

I've heard of others getting screwed, but I've maxed out for the two years I've been here (it was 8% before a recent promotion).

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Are they hot?

Hot? No, but they are extremely pleasant and accommodating to clients/customers, so that goes a long way in my bidness.

25 minutes ago, teef said:

i take the staff out to dinner and give them christmas bounues then.  i've told my colleagues that it do it, and i get ripped on for doing so.  i was even covering 100% of a few staffs medical ins.  i making them pay 20% of it this coming year, and i was met with a lot of resistance.  it's happening either way.

That's a good thing to keep doing. The support staff appreciates it I bet. When I opened my own shop, I started a SIMPLE IRA and the ladies contribute to it and I match their contributions at the end of the year (by April 15). It's not huge, but in addition to their Christmas bonus, it's extra money they didn't have to work for. I treat them well and pretty flexible with personal days/vacations, and they keep things running when I leave for a vacation or go fishing for asian carp.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

That's a good thing to keep doing. The support staff appreciates it I bet. When I opened my own shop, I started a SIMPLE IRA and the ladies contribute to it and I match their contributions at the end of the year (by April 15). It's not huge, but in addition to their Christmas bonus, it's extra money they didn't have to work for. I treat them well and pretty flexible with personal days/vacations, and they keep things running when I leave for a vacation or go fishing for asian carp.

this is exactly what i've done as well.  when i took this place over, we started a safe harbor (i think i'm using this correctly) where everyone has 3% of their salary put into a 401k for them.  it don't match anything, but they also don't have to contribute to get the 3%.  i also set up a bonus system that if we break a certain goal for the month, they're given sums based on how much over the goal.  i'm also pretty loose on when people take off, or take personal days.  i just hate micromanaging.  that being said, this office now runs itself.  they take care of billing, filling my schedule, and just covering my ass.  it's well worth the extra money i may pay out.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I have two secretaries/assistants who basically run my office. They are pleasant, cordial, professional and good people. I gave them each a nice Christmas bonus. They deserved it for working with me. 

The Board members deserve one for putting up with you.  Where’s the money? Show us the money.

9 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Hot? No, but they are extremely pleasant and accommodating to clients/customers, so that goes a long way in my bidness.

In all seriousness, this is really cool.

• Haha (+1) 1

We don't do anything with bonus's around the holidays because we don't want to get trapped into doing it when we have a crap year. We do have something called goals payout that you get money if your area met their goals and its based on what kind of surplus we have. This year we gave a surprise 'small bonus' in October because of how well we are doing. Called it the Columbus Day Surprise.

I used to get a bonus equal to two weeks of regular pay. I was shocked my first year there. What a help that was at this time of year.

A big corporation bought the company about 15 years ago and put an end to bonuses. Boo!

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

You know what bonus i get?..............i get to keep my worthless job!!!!!

My employer thinks thats the best compliment.

I get to hear things like.........

"Well, you got a job, don't you?".........or.........."You did a good job this year. I think i'll let you keep your job and keep you around for awhile, but when you're worthless to me, well, it'll be time to kick some stones, son"..........or.........."Come on now, don't rock the boat......if you want a bonus or a raise, then i have to give one to everybody".

Pathetic

13 minutes ago, Sweats said:

You know what bonus i get?..............i get to keep my worthless job!!!!!

My employer thinks thats the best compliment.

I get to hear things like.........

"Well, you got a job, don't you?".........or.........."You did a good job this year. I think i'll let you keep your job and keep you around for awhile, but when you're worthless to me, well, it'll be time to kick some stones, son"..........or.........."Come on now, don't rock the boat......if you want a bonus or a raise, then i have to give one to everybody".

Pathetic

Wow.  That is pathetic.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

The Board members deserve one for putting up with you.  Where’s the money? Show us the money.

Not to mention the 518 crew that actually has to see him in person. :sick:

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Christmas bonus?  What is this, the 1950s?

Year end bonuses need to be measured against year end results.  Bonuses get paid in February.  Maybe end of Jan if the head of Finance gets his lazy ass off football message boards and does some work to push them through.

Agreed.  I get my bonus first week of February.  It is usually between 10 & 20% of my salary.  They tax the sh*t out of it. 

As far as Christmas Bonus, never got one.  My boss does take the boys out for a work happy hour every year & takes care of the tab.  This year we went to jack Astors & between the five guys & one lady on our team who doesn't drink we ran up a $480 bill on him. 

Edited by Gordio

11 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Agreed.  I get my bonus first week of February.  It is usually between 10 & 20% of my salary.  They tax the sh*t out of it. 

As far as Christmas Bonus, never got one.  My boss does take the boys out for a work happy hour every year & takes care of the tab.  This year we went to jack Astors & between the five guys & one lady on our team who doesn't drink we ran up a $480 bill on him. 

I had a boss do that once when I was in the insurance business. Holy christ was that a fun night. WHOOOOOOOOOLE lot of alcohol.

I've been with my current firm for about 6 years.  Over that 6 year period they have paid out an additional "holiday bonus" twice.  One time it was the equivalent of one week's salary, the other time it was the equivalent of two week's salary.  They haven't paid it out in 2 years though, and my suspicion is that this is because they expanded their basic bonus packages to include all employees at that time.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

I had a boss do that once when I was in the insurance business. Holy christ was that a fun night. WHOOOOOOOOOLE lot of alcohol.

Yeah it was a good night.  He kept ordering shots of Southern Comfort for the table.  Not my cup a tea but when the boss wants to do a shot you better dam well do it. 

22 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Wow.  That is pathetic.

Yeah.

I've worked for some places in the past where they would hand out gift cards for local restaurants and it wasn't much, but it at least showed that they cared for their employees and some places would even have a small christmas party.

This place i'm at now is just downright bad.

The thing is that i don't get, is that it's all tax deductible for these employers, so it's worth it to throw some money around at the end of the fiscal year, but i guess that makes too much sense to want to treat your employees like human beings.

And another thing............my employer just stated that he's making considerable wage cuts in the new year...........considerable, as in it's not even affordable for most of us to work there anymore and i haven't told my employer yet that i'm not planning on going back.

So, i've already discussed with my wife that in the new year, i'm moving on.

I'm going to look for a new job.........and i'm not going to lie that it's tough finding work around this time of year.