ESPN Insider: EJ Gaines Will Get Paid More Than You Think in 2018

26CornerBlitz

E.J. Gaines, CB, Buffalo Bills

When the Bills traded wide receiver Sammy Watkins to Los Angeles in the preseason, the centerpiece of the package they received was a 2018 second-round pick. 2014 sixth-round pick Gaines, however, was also acquired, and he has exceeded expectations. He has been a reliable part of Buffalo's secondary and is now set to hit the open market. Quarterbacks, offensive linemen and defensive backs are usually the highest-paid spots in free agency, which should set up the productive Gaines for a bigger deal.

• Like (+1) 1

He's been a reliable part of Buffalo's secondary?  When he's healthy enough to play, Gaines is very good; but I wouldn't call him reliable.  I'd like to keep EJ, but wouldn't break the bank for him.  Another CB is needed and hopefully we can find a good one in the draft.

7 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

He's been a reliable part of Buffalo's secondary?  When he's healthy enough to play, Gaines is very good; but I wouldn't call him reliable.  I'd like to keep EJ, but wouldn't break the bank for him.  Another CB is needed and hopefully we can find a good one in the draft.

Therein lies the problem. I can't see him maximizing his value due to the lack of availability throughout his career as we've seen all too often this season. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

10 minutes ago, section122 said:

It will be interesting to see what his injuries do to his price tag.  I can see a 1 year deal again with Buffalo more than we want less than he wants to prove he can stay healthy.

Some team will give him a better deal than 1 year.

I'd let him walk if it were up to me. He's a difference maker and a legit CB opposite Tre but he's always hurt. I can see if he's getting his clock cleaned with some major hits but it seems its always none contact, soft tissue, hamstring type injuries. If he's this inactive in a contract year I'd hate to see his motivation once he gets paid. Dareus part deux?

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan714 said:

Spotrac puts his value at 9.7 million, Jordan Mathews at 8.8 million, I was shocked at those numbers.

Real value and speculation are completely different

No way in hell do they get that kind of money

I personally want Josh Jackson quarterback from Iowa with one of our two first-round picks the guys perfect for our system in a true shutdown corner

He's a literal clone in the next James Hasty in my opinion

When Gaines plays the entire defense seems to be better. I think this is because there are two good corners on the field.  I do not want to lose Gaines, but I also wonder if in McDermotts D a cheaper replacement can be found in FA or the draft. My biggest concern with paying Gaines upper corner money is his ability to stay healthy. Gaines has missed one entire season already and numerous games this year. That is the definition of injury prone.

8 minutes ago, westerndecline said:

Real value and speculation are completely different

No way in hell do they get that kind of money

I personally want Josh Jackson quarterback from Iowa with one of our two first-round picks the guys perfect for our system in a true shutdown corner

He's a literal clone in the next James Hasty in my opinion

They have Watkins at 9.2 million, I could see somebody paying that.   Davante Adams at 12.9 also.

Edited by billsfan714

1 minute ago, billsfan714 said:

They have Watkins at 9.2 million, I could see somebody paying that.   Davante Adams at 12.9 also.

Thts insane...

I still don't feel that Watkins will be fully himself and 100 percent until next year he just didn't look as explosive this year

8 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

When Gaines plays the entire defense seems to be better. I think this is because there are two good corners on the field.  I do not want to lose Gaines, but I also wonder if in McDermotts D a cheaper replacement can be found in FA or the draft. My biggest concern with paying Gaines upper corner money is his ability to stay healthy. Gaines has missed one entire season already and numerous games this year. That is the definition of injury prone.

McDermott and being are never going to overpay a guy they saw how Darius and Mario Williams Eva Nicole Roby and his contract more horrible for the cap

He will sign a one year prove it deal.  He was injured in LA and now in Buffalo.  Nothing career threatening but still enough to shy away from signing him to long term deal.  

He would be a good guy to place the transition tag on if it is allowed.  I don't know all the rules for the tag, but it is unlikely a team will make him a big offer.  

1 minute ago, Dadonkadonk said:

He will sign a one year prove it deal.  He was injured in LA and now in Buffalo.  Nothing career threatening but still enough to shy away from signing him to long term deal.  

He would be a good guy to place the transition tag on if it is allowed.  I don't know all the rules for the tag, but it is unlikely a team will make him a big offer.  

Someone will dude Corners that are as good as him are hard to find and gains when healthy is definitely a top-notch fantastic Warner someone's going to take a chance dude

2 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

He wont sign a one year prove it deal if he's a UFA.   He will sign the best deal for himself.