Terry Pegula: "We Have to Fix Replay"

26CornerBlitz

16 hours ago, NewEra said:

Agreed. We need Pegula and McBeane to get this right so we don’t have to worry about refs.

I’m not saying we lost strictly because of the refs.  They made it difficult for us to win while making it easier for the pats to win.  That is a fact.  If they made it easier for us to win and harder for the pats to win I believe we would’ve won the game.  In an evenly called game, they win.  It sucks to say that the team morale gets distraught when constantly taking in the butts by the refs.....but it’s true and I believe that it hurt our play in the 2nd half.  This happens to us routinely.  Once in awhile we get the refs on our side, but rarely. 

These two statements are contradictory.  I don't think those 2 calls (one of which was before halftime and resulted in a tie game) result in a 3 TD loss, so reversing them doesn't get the Bills the win.  They had plenty of opportunity to take charge despite that 4th down call by the refs. 

Pegula is right with the tone.  

This is a problem.  It is most prevalent in NFL, but it is leaking into other leagues (NHL and MLB).  The replay, as he said was installed to fix obvious on-field calls/errors.  But now, it has morphed into taking an inventory of every millimeter, guessing players' intent, interpretations on what is a "catch", etc.  It is a circus.  NHL has broached this with the ridiculous and unnecessary 'offsides challenge'.  MLB is really bad too when it comes to safe/out calls.

People say 'why not get it right?".  Situations like this and many others are the reason.  These things damage the sport/viewing experience.  If you cant figure it out in 5 minutes with 10 angles, then the officials call on the field should stand.

5 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Cause Tyrod would have for sure beat the chargers???

Why do you pick that game?

What about the Carolina game where Tyrod couldn't score any points... or the Bengals game he squandered. What about the jets game where nearly all of our offense came at garbage time?

Hmmmm I think trying to shoulder the blame to Peterman is bullllllshit.

Captain Hindsight told me that benching TT gave the Bills ZERO chance of winning. Still, LAC, CIN, and those New Jersey teams are games that you have to win. 

Every time I say that TT needs to go for the Bills to have any chance of being a playoff team, people on this site jump down my throat like he's a HOFer. Not you, obviously...

20 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Anybody else see the commercial for the NFL playoffs last night?  The one that was done like a theatrical trailer and listed "the Seattle Seahawks" as one of the stars?  Seahawks haven't made the playoffs yet.  Not only do they need to win next week, they need Carolina to also win. Anybody wanna bet they will?

Nope but I would bet my house on it.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

These two statements are contradictory.  I don't think those 2 calls (one of which was before halftime and resulted in a tie game) result in a 3 TD loss, so reversing them doesn't get the Bills the win.  They had plenty of opportunity to take charge despite that 4th down call by the refs. 

True.  I should’ve worded that differently. 

You don’t believe that the calls had an affect on our play in the 2nd half.  I disagree.  It can take a toll on a team when they know they aren’t just playing the opposition, but the refs too.  I’ve played in games like that and it definitely had an affect on my play.  After years and years of the same bs over and over.  It would be nice to see us play on an even field for once vs that team instead of having to beat 2 teams.  It’s obvious.  Do you not see how egregious this is?  

Now now if I read this correctly. After a td, the refereees on the field look at the iPad and see if the call needs further review.  If it does then they call the headquarters and ask for them to take over.  If the refs on the field don’t think the td needs a review, the play stands....... but in this case, Riveron called the field himself and told them to overturn it.   The 4h and 1 they showed that they have no idea what the rules are (no, they know the rules, they just choose to ignore them). Then the PI on Hyde vs cooks was a joke. Ball wasn’t catchable and cooks initiated all the contact and held him. That play shouldn’t even have occurred because the drive should’ve been over on 4th.  11 point swing (kB td, td drive due to missed 4th down call).  The game was much closer than the final score.  Give us 11 points in the 4th and anything can happen.  Not a definite win, but it would’ve given us a fighters chance.  As it was,  we didn’t have a chance. We aren’t going to outmatch that team.  When we score a td, it needs to be a td.  Not a fg due to a bad call.  When we stop them on 4th, we need the ball.  Not to give them the ball with another chance to score.  That 4th down call kept our team on the field longer and tired them out,  we were gassed.  Part of the reason we were gassed was due to a bad call.  

The refs called the game with the patriots winning in mind.  It was obvious for all to see.  I’d just like for our guys to get a fair go at it with the season on the line. We did not.

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

True.  I should’ve worded that differently. 

You don’t believe that the calls had an affect on our play in the 2nd half.  I disagree.  It can take a toll on a team when they know they aren’t just playing the opposition, but the refs too.  I’ve played in games like that and it definitely had an affect on my play.  After years and years of the same bs over and over.  It would be nice to see us play on an even field for once vs that team instead of having to beat 2 teams.  It’s obvious.  Do you not see how egregious this is?  

Now now if I read this correctly. After a td, the refereees on the field look at the iPad and see if the call needs further review.  If it does then they call the headquarters and ask for them to take over.  If the refs on the field don’t think the td needs a review, the play stands....... but in this case, Riveron called the field himself and told them to overturn it.   The 4h and 1 they showed that they have no idea what the rules are (no, they know the rules, they just choose to ignore them). Then the PI on Hyde vs cooks was a joke. Ball wasn’t catchable and cooks initiated all the contact and held him. That play shouldn’t even have occurred because the drive should’ve been over on 4th.  11 point swing (kB td, td drive due to missed 4th down call).  The game was much closer than the final score.  Give us 11 points in the 4th and anything can happen.  Not a definite win, but it would’ve given us a fighters chance.  As it was,  we didn’t have a chance. We aren’t going to outmatch that team.  When we score a td, it needs to be a td.  Not a fg due to a bad call.  When we stop them on 4th, we need the ball.  Not to give them the ball with another chance to score.  That 4th down call kept our team on the field longer and tired them out,  we were gassed.  Part of the reason we were gassed was due to a bad call.  

The refs called the game with the patriots winning in mind.  It was obvious for all to see.  I’d just like for our guys to get a fair go at it with the season on the line. We did not.

All scoring plays are reviewed.  Any close calls will be reviewed in NY with Riveron discussing the replay with the crew on the field.

The exact same scenario played out a few weeks ago (Jets vs. Carolina) when Riveron reversed A S-J's TD in the corner iof the EZ.

As for the game, the Bills certainly had a chance--they went into the half tied.  They had 30 minutes of football to beat NE after that.  The 4th down call was bad but still only 7 points.  The game got away from them.  This isn't like the NE-Steelers game where the controversial reversal came late in a close game.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

All scoring plays are reviewed.  Any close calls will be reviewed in NY with Riveron discussing the replay with the crew on the field.

The exact same scenario played out a few weeks ago (Jets vs. Carolina) when Riveron reversed A S-J's TD in the corner iof the EZ.

As for the game, the Bills certainly had a chance--they went into the half tied.  They had 30 minutes of football to beat NE after that.  The 4th down call was bad but still only 7 points.  The game got away from them.  This isn't like the NE-Steelers game where the controversial reversal came late in a close game.

I thought I read in an article a couple days ago that al TDs are reviewed by the referees on the field.  If they see that there may be evidence to overturn the call then they call Riveron and he makes the call.  The article stated that the refs didn’t see a need for a look in nyc and that it was a TD.....but Riveron called them on the field and told them to overturn it.  With no explanation.  Can’t find the link, thought it was yahoo notification I received.  There’s something entirely wrong about that.  Don’t you think?

• Thank you (+1) 1

I have a couple of suggestions to help IR.

1. Set a time limit like 30 or 45 seconds for the ref to watch video.  After that, screen cuts off and the call is upheld.

2. the replay ref can only slow it down to 1/3 speed.  

3. change the rule of where the football is spotted to where after a knee or whatever it hits, it's where the football hits the ground.

#3 gets rid of all the BS of where was the football when his knee went down.  

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

If they are going to reform instant replay they need to make it possible to challenge pass interference calls.  The frequency of which unjust pass interference penalties get called ia way to high and affects the outcomes of games.

On 12/26/2017 at 10:25 AM, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

They have a legit shot at taking a portion of the NFL fan base with overpaid players who constantly whine about how hard they have it.  If they go back to a more 90's style of game rules wise, with more hitting and less ridiculous PI calls and such, they are definitely going to have a chance to provide a product that many fans want to see and the NFL cannot provide anymore. 

The NFL is in some serious trouble.  The quality of the game has been in a steady decline for awhile with rules adjusted to protect the players.  Not just because you can't hit people the way you used to, but because due to lack of practice time, tackling and other fundamentals of the game are deteriorating, making the product less than what it should be.  I could see the XFL being real competition to the NFL in ten years.  The only advantage the NFL really  has is its history.  Which they have hurt themselves with franchise relocation in the pursuit of the all mighty dollar.  It may very well kill them in the long run.

Personally, I would like the XFL to follow the WWE model closely. This means actually scripting games and faking big hits. In terms of scripting games, the NFL is very close to this already, but parades itself as actual sport. The fake style big hits could be a plus with less injuries. Like the WWE, if the athletes are in on it and being paid, I am not sure if they care so much about winning or losing. So, I hope the XFL doesn't try to be a legitimate sport like the NFL pretends to be, but simply planned entertainment. Good guys, bad guys, hyperbolic trash talking and interviews; real (fake) personalities. Fake feuds in the parking lot and stuff. Like Piper's Pit and stuff. 

Edited by leonbus23

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

1. Set a time limit like 30 or 45 seconds for the ref to watch video.  After that, screen cuts off and the call is upheld.

3. change the rule of where the football is spotted to where after a knee or whatever it hits, it's where the football hits the ground.

time limits and messing with the play speed won't help get the call right. What's the point? Just get rid of it if it's not about getting the call correct.

IMO the biggest flaw is moving away from the "indisputable evidence". If it's not a clear mistake, don't overturn it. 

16 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

#3 This is interesting but?? would make all WR catches falling out of bounds incomplete as the ball would hit out of bounds? yes?

#1 I would give them 90 sec from when ref announces the play is being challenged or reviewed.  Then scoreboard clock counts down the 90 sec and horn sounds at end. If Ref is not speaking on his mic and explaining why the call is changed by 90 sec then play stands as called. In fact if call stands. Ref does not need to even speak to the crowd. Let horn sound and we all know it is done deal. 

not sure what to do with !@#$ head Riveron NY office. I guess abolish it. Otherwise they would not be allowed to look at vids until ref in stadium starts vids on monitor. How to know that happens per the rules would involve a congressional inquiry.

Edited by cba fan
fix

16 hours ago, Commonsense said:

time limits and messing with the play speed won't help get the call right. What's the point? Just get rid of it if it's not about getting the call correct.

IMO the biggest flaw is moving away from the "indisputable evidence". If it's not a clear mistake, don't overturn it. 

I'm totally 100% for dumping the whole thing and going back to calls on the field.

If they MUST have it which evidently they must, I'm just trying to speed it up a little.