Clear and obvious administration suggestion

JAX

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

If the refs had initially called it an incomplete pass instead of a catch- (and had no instant replay)--everyone on this board would have been screaming after they saw the replay on TV at home.

Yes because it was a demonstrably bad call.  You want anecdotal proof in support of my argument, Ironically enough, BOTH the Pittsburgh TD and KBs td were the right calls on the Field.  It was only after the replays got involved that they were overturned with the wrong calls.

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yes because it was a demonstrably bad call.  You want anecdotal proof in support of my argument, Ironically enough, BOTH the Pittsburgh TD and KBs td were the right calls on the Field.  It was only after the replays got involved that they were overturned with the wrong calls.

I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of the calls.  But if the catch rule was not what it is today, but simplified, then none of this would fall on instant replay.

You would throw away the entire system for the way it is applied to a single rule.  There is just no way fans would find this better--especially when they can still see the replays at home.  

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

That would completely defeat the goal of instant replay, which is to see if the call on the field was the correct call.  All of the recent "what is a catch" aside (which is a rule/definition problem, not a replay problem), wouldn't you want them to have every available view to make a more accurate call?

Do you think they would’ve overturned the music city forward lateral?

1 hour ago, JAX said:

It seems like the replay guys are examining the play multiple times from multiple angles to make their decision.  This seems inconsistent with the standard which is designed to overturn the game officials  call only if the call was clearly a mistake.  Why not allow them only one view per a angle ?  If its not a clear and obvious mistake after this so be it, the play stands.

Even the arrogant NFL must be sensitive to the outrage around the league.  Can hardly enjoy big plays, always waiting on the flag or replay.

They will give a **** about the outrage when people in Boston are outraged. Until and unless that happens, business as usual will continue.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TPS said:

Do you think they would’ve overturned the music city forward lateral?

Who knows.  But either way, one group of fans will be outraged, another will be overjoyed.  A third group just hates the NFL, yet cannot turn their eyes away form the league.

Go figure.

56 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Get the correct call

You cannot always find that with replay.

besides, they just call whatever they want to no matter what is on the replay, you’ve seen them botch it constantly when you couldn’t care less about which team wins.

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

You cannot always find that with replay.

besides, they just call whatever they want to no matter what is on the replay, you’ve seen them botch it constantly when you couldn’t care less about which team wins.

To be fair, a large portion of those outrageous calls are actually following the rules 

the issue is everyone is so fast to be infuriated by the worst call they’ve ever seen and neglect that a portion of that is their own mistake and a good portion is that refs are human — what’s left over for conspiracy after all that isn’t much.

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

To be fair, a large portion of those outrageous calls are actually following the rules 

the issue is everyone is so fast to be infuriated by the worst call they’ve ever seen and neglect that a portion of that is their own mistake and a good portion is that refs are human — what’s left over for conspiracy after all that isn’t much.

Exactly.

1 hour ago, JAX said:

It seems like the replay guys are examining the play multiple times from multiple angles to make their decision.  This seems inconsistent with the standard which is designed to overturn the game officials  call only if the call was clearly a mistake.  Why not allow them only one view per a angle ?  If its not a clear and obvious mistake after this so be it, the play stands.

Even the arrogant NFL must be sensitive to the outrage around the league.  Can hardly enjoy big plays, always waiting on the flag or replay.

In my opinion, that would NOT have happened, if it were any other team but New England! 

IF they did that for every play, the games would take 3 days, and virtually every on field call could/would be over turned.  It's a game, not an IRS audit!

Rules are not set in stone in sports. Refs can allow the rules to adjust to meet the flow of the game at hand in the interest of the best interest of the game.

and often do thank goodness

Crying about rules is as useful as Colonel Hogan invoking the Geneva Convention as he is sent to the cooler again.

The problem is NOT instant replay or camera angles...or even the search for truth.  The problem is that the NFL has messed with their rule book so much that what used to seem like common sense is no longer the case!

To me, the Clay catch just before the Benjamin replay was a touchdown. He caught the ball, turned his body, put the opposite hand down inside the end zone and the ball only cane out when the other elbow hit the ground!  The ground cannot cause a fumble. You don't need to tackled in the end zone. And the receivers entire body, including the ball, are in the end zone....TOUCHDOWN 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Exactly.

And where we diverge is that I don’t think the catch rules are THAT over complicated. I don’t think they are perfect but all of them will  have those edge calls. You’ll never nail a paragraph or 6 bullet points that govern all the ways a player and ball can come together. 

Ironically the same fans screaming that the refs need more leeway to call a catch are often the ones that also think the refs are fixing games. 

That you either need — two feet and a football move OR two feet and control through your fall — isn’t all that complex or complicated of a rule.

The Clay catch is never a TD again after the Steelers incompletion.

Everything in life is about nuance, policy manuals and city ordinances and sports rules are impossible to enforce to the point where you can have confidence the weak will get justice.

The first second of every game you start to bend the shape of the game to your advantage against the rules.  

1 hour ago, JAX said:

yes, every available view, once.  Is the purpose to get the correct call or reverse the obvious mistakes?

Sometimes there are MULTIPLE things to look at...Look no further than the KB touchdown...they need to see if his feet were in bounds.  Then they still had to then see if at the moment his toe came off the ground if he had possession yet.  

No offense, your idea won't work and should not be rolled out.  It will undermine the entire purpose of instant replay, which is to make sure you get the call correct the most often.

And while I dont agree with the refs that the TD should be overturned, its also at the same time easy to see why they over turned it because it came down to the moment they decided KB have full control of the ball because KB's toe DID come off the ground.  Now, I think 2 things...1, that it was too close to overturn in the first place...and 2, that if that had NOT been ruled a TD in play, I would have thought the same, not enough to over turn it into a TD.  It was that close and all came down to a judgement call of the moment he controlled the ball.  So again, personally, I think it should have stood as a TD, but the ref stated he felt the ball wasn't in control fully until it was in his chest, and it is true that at that moment his 2nd foot was no longer touching the ground.  I just think he had confirmed control a hair before that in his hands.

52 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

No way does CBS have as many cameras at 1 PM Bills-Dolphins game as 4 PM Pats-Steelers, not to mention primetime games Just the way it is.

I agree with this. Big game means more cameras. Yesterday's review was atrociously long.

Put a time limit on the review. 

Mandate that all broadcasts must feature "X" number of cameras generally set up as "Y" (every broadcast must have a camera behind the bench that follows action up and down the field, every broadcast must have a camera looking down each goal line etc.) Only the mandated cameras are used for replay.

Remind NYC the meaning of incontrovertible.

Complete all reviews within 90 seconds and get on your way. Perfect? Nope. Better? Yes.

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The problem is NOT instant replay or camera angles...or even the search for truth.  The problem is that the NFL has messed with their rule book so much that what used to seem like common sense is no longer the case!

To me, the Clay catch just before the Benjamin replay was a touchdown. He caught the ball, turned his body, put the opposite hand down inside the end zone and the ball only cane out when the other elbow hit the ground!  The ground cannot cause a fumble. You don't need to tackled in the end zone. And the receivers entire body, including the ball, are in the end zone....TOUCHDOWN 

It's not a TD, but it should be. 

The ground can't cause a fumble if you're a runner unless you haven't been downed by contact, but it can cause an incompletion as it did with Clay. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's not, but it should be. 

My point exactly!  I still remember the Lions receiver (Calvin Johnson?) when the 'completion of the catch' nonsense first came up. I remember thinking...this is NOT going to be good for the NFL.  And I was right.

14 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Rules are not set in stone in sports. Refs can allow the rules to adjust to meet the flow of the game at hand in the interest of the best interest of the game.

and often do thank goodness

Crying about rules is as useful as Colonel Hogan invoking the Geneva Convention as he is sent to the cooler again.

I agree, the problem is that NFL officials are not consistent with the rules. College and even high school officials do a much better job with consistency. All of these bizarre catch rules are ridiculous, but we don’t hear about them until they are used to favor teams like the Pats. These rules are never invoked unless they involve a league favorite. Many people are simply naive by nature, and will never believe in corruption of any sort.