Clear and obvious administration suggestion

JAX

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

My point exactly!  I still remember the Lions receiver (Calvin Johnson?) when the 'completion of the catch' nonsense first came up. I remember thinking...this is NOT going to be good for the NFL.  And I was right.

You are indeed. 

10 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I agree with this. Big game means more cameras. Yesterday's review was atrociously long.

Put a time limit on the review. 

Mandate that all broadcasts must feature "X" number of cameras generally set up as "Y" (every broadcast must have a camera behind the bench that follows action up and down the field, every broadcast must have a camera looking down each goal line etc.) Only the mandated cameras are used for replay.

Remind NYC the meaning of incontrovertible.

Complete all reviews within 90 seconds and get on your way. Perfect? Nope. Better? Yes.

Agree.  if it takes that long to make a ruling then it is not incontrovertible.

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's not a TD, but it should be. 

The ground can't cause a fumble if you're a runner unless you haven't been downed by contact, but it can cause an incompletion as it did with Clay. 

And that nuance is exactly the problem! Think of how easily you repeat that nonsense. I can too!  But, my point is that it makes no sense at all! It's just another really weird thing that the league has done to everyone. I maintain that the NFL is destroying the game much like the NBA has. Traveling is no longer traveling. There are no fouls for wrestling under the basket but breath near a shooter and it's called. Etc

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

And that nuance is exactly the problem! Think of how easily you repeat that nonsense. I can too!  But, my point is that it makes no sense at all! It's just another really weird thing that the league has done to everyone. I maintain that the NFL is destroying the game much like the NBA has. Traveling is no longer traveling. There are no fouls for wrestling under the basket but breath near a shooter and it's called. Etc

I don't believe anyone thinks it makes any sense, but it is what it is unless they change the rule. 

45 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

No they would not have overturned it.  Wasnt irrefutable enough evidence.

Many reasonable fans agree the Music City debacle should not have been reversed on replay.

Those same and others are in the company of opinion that the refs should have thrown the flag as it clearly looked live that it was illegal. Then inconclusive replay, call stands, and Bills win.

I and others believe the refs purposely let it run as they felt replay would sort it all out correctly. Without replay they would have been more inclined to throw flag as it looked.

That is using replay as a crutch. JMO.

Replay just needs to go away. The idea was to provide a tool to enable the correction of obvious mistakes. Now we have guys overturning plays based on educated guessing. My initial reaction after the first replay of the Benjamin catch was that his foot came up before he had control. But as they played it over and over from different angles it became less and less clear that his foot was off the ground before he had control. Hence no clear and convincing evidence. If the NFL cant follow its own rules the rule just needs to go away. Live with the call on the field.

It wasn't a catch by the letter of the law. Get over it. Having said that, neither was Cooks' catch against the Texans that gave the Patriots that win earlier this season. The inconsistency of it all is what's maddening.

Also, almost every fan is missing the point of the catch rule. It's written up that way to take out as much subjectivity as possible on what a catch is and what is not. Otherwise, you'd have all sorts of scenarios where a ref would have to use his "common sense". And I don't want to give that much power to an Ed Hochuli in a Bills game that may matter sometime. 

2 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

It wasn't a catch by the letter of the law. Get over it. Having said that, neither was Cooks' catch against the Texans that gave the Patriots that win earlier this season. The inconsistency of it all is what's maddening.

Also, almost every fan is missing the point of the catch rule. It's written up that way to take out as much subjectivity as possible on what a catch is and what is not. Otherwise, you'd have all sorts of scenarios where a ref would have to use his "common sense". And I don't want to give that much power to an Ed Hochuli in a Bills game that may matter sometime. 

May I respectfully suggest that you don't know the meaning of 'common sense'. It's like when political figures say they're 'taking full responsibility' but don't actually do anything or suffer any penalty.

That was clearly a touchdown! Having to look at ten replays to come up with a reason why it isn't is the EXACT OPPOSITE of common sense.

A few easy fixes:

1.  Eliminate the reviews for all scoring and turnovers.  If an issue, let the coach challenge.

2.  Eliminate the booth reviews within last 2 minutes.  Again, let the coach challenge.

3.  Set a time limit of 30 seconds.

4.  A 3 person review team - 2 of 3 required to overturn.  This is the ref on the field, 1 in booth at the stadium and 1 in NYC.

5.  Give coaches 2 challenges per half.  Use them or lose them.

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...leave the damn decision on the field among officials and referee using instant replay......no way some suit in NYC should be making the call......

It was that way and everyone bitched it should be like hockey having a centralized replay official.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

If the refs had initially called it an incomplete pass instead of a catch- (and had no instant replay)--everyone on this board would have been screaming after they saw the replay on TV at home.

But, we would have stopped the Pats on 4th(which I think replay got right). Evens out for the most part

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

And where we diverge is that I don’t think the catch rules are THAT over complicated. I don’t think they are perfect but all of them will  have those edge calls. You’ll never nail a paragraph or 6 bullet points that govern all the ways a player and ball can come together. 

Ironically the same fans screaming that the refs need more leeway to call a catch are often the ones that also think the refs are fixing games. 

That you either need — two feet and a football move OR two feet and control through your fall — isn’t all that complex or complicated of a rule.

i think catch rules are simple as well..never even occurred to me that people were arguing the Clay drop was a catch.

1 hour ago, Dalton said:

A few easy fixes:

1.  Eliminate the reviews for all scoring and turnovers.  If an issue, let the coach challenge.

2.  Eliminate the booth reviews within last 2 minutes.  Again, let the coach challenge.

4.  A 3 person review team - 2 of 3 required to overturn.  This is the ref on the field, 1 in booth at the stadium and 1 in NYC.

This sounds like an awesome fix..i could actually live with this plan

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

And where we diverge is that I don’t think the catch rules are THAT over complicated. I don’t think they are perfect but all of them will  have those edge calls. You’ll never nail a paragraph or 6 bullet points that govern all the ways a player and ball can come together. 

Ironically the same fans screaming that the refs need more leeway to call a catch are often the ones that also think the refs are fixing games. 

That you either need — two feet and a football move OR two feet and control through your fall — isn’t all that complex or complicated of a rule.

I agree.

1 hour ago, Dalton said:

A few easy fixes:

Coaches shouldn't have to risk losing a TO to review what they think is a bad call on an opponent's scoring play.

Ironically, the HC decides any challenge based on his staff reviewing....that's right, instant replay.