John Murphy Scolds Bills Fans For Being "Negative"

BuffaloRush

14 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Murph is a talentless sellout who, list most WNY broadcasters, would not and cannot find work outside of WNY.

Just listened to the clip.  No offense to the OP, but I didn't find it very interesting, and Murph's reaction was predictable.

He is effectively the State Radio in Nazi Germany, but then people wonder why he doesn't criticize Hitler's policies or mention the fact that the war in Russia is not going very well?

As to how anyone can listen to a show of that ilk, I have no idea.

I appreciate you not exaggerating here. It helps keep the discussion reasonable.

I'll re iterate what I posted the other day: he is rude and, IMO, just not that good (where he can get away with being rude). As a radio host, I THINK the idea of the show is to gather various points of view and then ask rhetorical questions and/or to position alternate considerations for discussion. NOT to dismissively blaze on callers or to paint D. Jones into a corner because he used a term (Billsy) that you for some unknown reason take huge exception to.

16 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

On my drive home today I turned on The John Murphy Show.  Toward the end of the first hour - which you can find lined to below, a called from LA asked if Bills fans were too negative.  This prompted John Murphy, Donald Jones, and this caller (who was actually very charismatic) to basically scold the Bills fans that have been critical of the team.  It's actually an interesting listen.

With that being said, as a Bills fan for nearly 30 year I get the negativity.  I don't think Bills fans are any more negative than fans would be in sports towns that have not been successful for 2 decades.  I can definitely see how the heavy criticism could be viewed as pessimism, but you also have to take into account the events that have transpired over the past two decades.  So I totally understand why fans and the media can be hard on the franchise.  The Bills have done little to earn the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway you can hear the 10 minute clip below.  I have it cued up at the spot where the caller starts the conversation so you can hear for yourself, but if it doesn't work skip the 31:58 mark

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/12-20-john-murphy-show-hr-1-0?seek=1918.20

The majority of fans are and they hate every move Buffalo makes.  After every win say well we all know they are losing next week.  Its a way to avoid disappointment by setting the expectations low.  Though they also take every game, every play, every loss the hardest so it is not working out.  Say what you want this is the biggest weekend and biggest 2 week stretch since bledsoe was QB in terms of making the playoffs.  Idc about draft stock or franchise Qbs talk today, I want to see Buffalo beat a struggling Pats team in NE in a game that matters to both teams for a change.  

Edited by Mat68

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

The part that I think fans get divided on is some look at the entire drought while others look at the start of this regime on.  I like to look at this regime up to this point and I think they've done a nice job so far as we sit at 8-6 and a chance to get into the playoffs with a bunch of draft picks and salary cap space available for this offseason to put try to put this team on track in the future.  They've made some future moves that have hurt the now but the hate for those moves just shows our impatience as fans and that's where I think the fans carrying their negativity from the entire drought into this regime causes irrational thinking.  

It's easy to look at the entire drought and have no optimism but to me, that is a lazy fans game.  This regime hasn't been here over the entire drought and neither has this ownership, so to carry on the negativity from the last regime and ownership into this one doesn't make logical sense to me.  This is the problem I think we have as a franchise.  We carry the negativity and blame from regime to regime like we are passing on the baton.  Can we not be excited about a regime after 1 year where we don't go to the playoffs but show promise for the future?  I don't know that answer anymore because of the constant calls to fire someone.  We have lost all patience as fans because we look at the entire drought instead of a single regime's time in the building.  

The calls to fire McBeane and McDermott are just lazy and impatient in my opinion.  You can't look at the entire drought and have that effect a single regime after 1 season.  We can't let them grow?  They are both new to their positions.  Can they not get better?  They have set themselves up to trade up for a franchise QB or reset the roster with young talent which is more than we can say about past regimes.  The only other team that has more constant turnover than us is Cleveland...enough said there.

I think Murph is right by calling out the fans.  The negative fans don't give the team a chance to grow and succeed.  While some individual moves don't work out, not every move is going to.  Have a realistic expectation.  We just had a solid draft.  We just had a free agent pickup make the pro bowl.  Can't wait for this offseason!  

From an optimistic fan...

I started to go thought and hi-lite the parts I agreed with but ended up with most of this post hi-lited, so i just quoted the entire post. I have been saying this for the past year. New management and leaders we cant past the baton onto these guys. give them a few years to take the baton and run with it. Maybe they will fall flat on their faces but we do not know that right now, I believe right now they are on the right road. The last 57 years or so Beane was not in charge. McDermott was not our head coach. They are now lets enjoy the success we are having now and keep an open mind.  GO BILLS !!!!!! 

11 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

John Murphy is nothing more than another paid mouthpiece hand picked by Russ Brandon to spew the same rah rah company line drivel over and over again.

A true master of spreading the OBD Koolaid.

His job title is Voice of the Buffalo Bills Radio Network, what do you expect?   He was even reasonable about the worst half of NFL football by a QB ever, it's his JOB.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, NWPABillsfan said:

I started to go thought and hi-lite the parts I agreed with but ended up with most of this post hi-lited, so i just quoted the entire post. I have been saying this for the past year. New management and leaders we cant past the baton onto these guys. give them a few years to take the baton and run with it. Maybe they will fall flat on their faces but we do not know that right now, I believe right now they are on the right road. The last 57 years or so Beane was not in charge. McDermott was not our head coach. They are now lets enjoy the success we are having now and keep an open mind.  GO BILLS !!!!!! 

There is a lot of pressure on them this offseason as they have so many picks and cap space.  They have the ammunition to set this team up for the next few years.  I hope they can do it.  I won't be blinking much this offseason as I watch what they do haha

Negative is a misnomer, for the most part. 

Bills fans are passionate. Pessimistic. Hopeful mostly. 

But yeah, it’s a downer when your kids who have been rooting with you for decades or longer have been brought into this culture of losing. 

‘Why can’t we just be Patriot fans?’ Is a question no Bills fan Father should ever have to answer. 

this guy is a god awful radio announcer and has no knowledge of this team

he just says nice things about everyone. and wtf do you expect when youve been the worst pro sports franchise in America for the last 20 years?? give us something to be happy about and we wil. 

How many other fans show up to the blizzard game vs the colts?? 

1 hour ago, Long Time Bills Fan said:

I'll re iterate what I posted the other day: he is rude and, IMO, just not that good (where he can get away with being rude). As a radio host, I THINK the idea of the show is to gather various points of view and then ask rhetorical questions and/or to position alternate considerations for discussion. NOT to dismissively blaze on callers or to paint D. Jones into a corner because he used a term (Billsy) that you for some unknown reason take huge exception to.

I've never heard of a radio show like that. Have you? Radio show hosts usually spout whatever they like, and are often extremely rude. Why? Because many callers are completely nuts and they get sick of it.

Donald Jones does a great job of painting himself into a corner all the time. 50% of what he says is literally word for word what John Murphy said 2 seconds earlier, and the other half is talking about things like "swag", TD dances, and banter with current or former players. (In his defense he has gotten slightly better)

Really I'm supposed to be excited by uninspired boring football?  The Bills are 8-6 and this season has been a slog to watch.  Terrible losses vs. NE, LAC, NYJ & NO....... Lacklustre performances and losses vs. Cin & Car......

Good professional wins vs. Denver, NYJ & Raiders......

Barely hung on and pretty boring wins vs. Indy, KC & Miami

Good win, but still had to hang on vs. Atlanta and some offense vs. TB......

Listened and pretty boring clip and almost sounded like a planted call so the cheerleaders (oops Murph) could get on their soapbox.  

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Really I'm supposed to be excited by uninspired boring football?  The Bills are 8-6 and this season has been a slog to watch.  Terrible losses vs. NE, LAC, NYJ & NO....... Lacklustre performances and losses vs. Cin & Car......

Good professional wins vs. Denver, NYJ & Raiders......

Barely hung on and pretty boring wins vs. Indy, KC & Miami

Good win, but still had to hang on vs. Atlanta and some offense vs. TB......

Listened and pretty boring clip and almost sounded like a planted call so the cheerleaders (oops Murph) could get on their soapbox.  

Plenty of other hobbies to pursue as soon as you get out of Bills' prison where you're being forced to watch, listen, and pay attention. 

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Plenty of other hobbies to pursue as soon as you get out of Bills' prison where you're being forced to watch, listen, and pay attention. 

2 more weeks?  

Thankful for PVR, Fast forward PIP (to watch other games), a spinning cycle to work out on during the game and a tablet to read.  

Edited by Billsfan1972