How is it we are ahead of Balt in wild card standings?

nero1

Once Baltimore plays the Colts they will have 4 games against common opponents with the Bills and the Common Opponent Tiebreaker takes affect.  When that happens, Baltimore will win the tiebreaker. Unless of course they lose to the Colts and we beat the Patriots. 

Edited by Flan

Murph and Brownie are talking about this now.  Too many variables since common opponents and conference records will matter.  Ravens, Bills, Titans, etc.  have not played the same number of common opponents or conference games yet, so you get to choose who you want to put in.  Bills-Ravens-Titans right now is a three-sided coin flip.

5 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

We need to win out and beating the Patriots at home seems astronomical at this point. Playoffs or not I'm still impressed with McD to get this team close to the playoffs in his 1st year.

We could still lose against NE, beat Miami and be in at 9-7, IF Tenny loses to Jax.  I believe we beat Tenny on the 9-7 tiebreaker.  Can't have SD win anymore though...something like that.

It also may have something to do with victories over certain teams. For example, if Buffalo has more wins over more opponents with better winning percentages than the victories Baltimore has, then that would be a tiebreaker that would lean in favor of the Bills. I'm not saying that's how it is, just providing an example. 

This is not complete (okay?) but this is what I sent to my members of the Central NJ Backers this morning:

"The Bills are temporarily in slot six (making the playoffs) but there is a lot of room for fluctuation. Here are the various scenarios:

1.) If the Bills beat New England (better chance of seeing God)  and beat Miami in Week 17, pretty much the Bills are in (96%).

2) O.K. Let's go for the more reasonable Bills lose (and get crushed) by the Cheatriots but beat Miami in Week 17  scenario:

The four LIKELY division winners are  the Cheatriots, Jacksonville, Kansas City, and Pittsburgh. There are a few scenarios where the Jaguars and/or the Chiefs could fall out of 1st.  

The last two slots will likely be fought over by Tennessee, Baltimore, Los Angeles (Chargers), and the Bills. All are 8-6 except for L.A. who are 7-7.

The Bills will make playoffs with 1 win (over Miami) and:

1.) one Ravens loss

OR 

2.) Tennessee wins v Los Angeles Rams THEN loses to the Jacksonville Jaguars

OR 

3.) Two Tennessee losses and one Chargers loss.

So - to underscore this:  It is actually BETTER for the Bills if the Titans beat the Rams next week. Why? Because in a three-way tie among the Bills (1 more win), Titans (loss to Jaguars),
and Chargers (2 wins) - the Bills win this tie breaker.

I could go WAAAAAYYY into more detail but on Christmas Eve, root for:

1.) Da Bilz (good luck on that one!)
2.) The Titans (versus the Rams)
3.) The Colts (this Saturday, the 23rd versus the Baltimore Ravens)
4.) The JETSsucksucksucks (versus the Chargers)

On New Year's Eve root for:

1.) Da Bilz! (Squish the Fish)
2.) The Jaguars (versus the Titans)
3.) The Raiders (versus the Chargers)
4.) The Bengals (versus the Ravens)

As you can see, the Chargers have a relatively easy road to 9-7 (Jets, Raiders). The Titans have two tough games (Rams and Jaguars) and could easily end up 8-8. The Ravens
have the easiest schedule (Colts, Bengals) and should end up 10-6 and in the playoffs. So, if the Bills beat Miami but lose to the Cheats, the Bills lose the tie break by themselves
versus the Chargers (head to head) BUT win a three way tie break among themselves, Chargers, and Titans. 

The really obvious good news would be the Jets beating the Chargers or the Raiders beating the Chargers. Both teams are playing very poorly lately (Jets lost their
only decent QB and have lost ever since while the Raiders have lost two in a row). If the Ravens lose one of their two easy games, then things get shuffled again. 

Ready? (gasp): " If Buffalo, Baltimore and Tennessee all finish 9-7, it depends which teams they lose to along the way. If the Bills beat the Patriots but lose to the Dolphins, the Ravens beat the Colts but lose to the Bengals and the Titans lose to the Rams but beat the Jaguars, the Ravens and the Titans are in. Buffalo would lose the common games tiebreaker with the loss to Miami. But if the Bills lose to the Patriots and beat the Dolphins instead, the Bills and Titans are in." Got it?  No? Join the club.

In past years, sixth seeds have often been the unexpected team determined in the last seconds or so of Week 17.

It could come down to Oakland in LA ending around 7:30 pm New year's eve."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

From now on, it's clear which teams we should root for.  Or rather, against.  When the Chiefs played the Chargers, I had no idea which outcome would be better.  From now on, root against Tennessee and Baltimore.  Oh, wait, I think we need the Chargers to be tied with us too.  What I said about it being clear -- never mind.

35 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

We need to win out and beating the Patriots at home seems astronomical at this point. Playoffs or not I'm still impressed with McD to get this team close to the playoffs in his 1st year.

What would impress you? You sound like my wife.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What would impress you? You sound like my wife.

Promo - I think you mis -read his post.  "Call_of..."  is already impressed. Missing punctuation can be a pain, huh?

"Playoffs or not (COMMA!), I'm still impressed with McD to get this team close to the playoffs in his 1st year."  

See?