Will Bills Honor McCoy when career over

MAJBobby

If he gets his 12K with the Bills, it'll probably take 2 more years.  If it's with the Bills, I think he goes in as a Bill.  He says he loves it here.

That's 5 years Bill, 6 years Eagle.  

Just now, PaattMaann said:

in the NFL you go in as a member of all teams you played for in your career...no need to choose 

Good to know.  

He's a HOF'er right now.  10K yards plus something like a 4.7 per carry average.  

In fact, I'd say Shady is the NFL MVP.  If the Bills lack Shady, we are talking about which top 3 pick we have next season.  He is the entire offense.  

That said, I expect to see him on the Wall of Fame, esp. if we break the playoff drought with him.  

And if he plays another 2-3 years, we could make/win a SB with him.  (ok, enough caffeine for me!) 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

I did not know that. I thought they chose????

I heard it on a radio interview the other day...I am trying to remember who they were interviewing about the HOF but he explained that in the NFL you dont choose to be inducted for any one team, you just get inducted and they honor all teams you played for in your career...when the interviewee comes to mind, I will edit this post 

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

I heard it on a radio interview the other day...I am trying to remember who they were interviewing about the HOF but he explained that in the NFL you dont choose to be inducted for any one team, you just get inducted and they honor all teams you played for in your career...when the interviewee comes to mind, I will edit this post 

I guess i just figured when the got inducted and picked someone to induct them it was always from a specific team it seemed like. Hence entering the Hall as a specific player. And thought the player chose that

6 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

He's a HOF'er right now.  10K yards plus something like a 4.7 per carry average.  

In fact, I'd say Shady is the NFL MVP.  If the Bills lack Shady, we are talking about which top 3 pick we have next season.  He is the entire offense.  

That said, I expect to see him on the Wall of Fame, esp. if we break the playoff drought with him.  

And if he plays another 2-3 years, we could make/win a SB with him.  (ok, enough caffeine for me!) 

If we somehow pull off the upset next week, there might be some whispers...

5 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Wow guess i learned something today

Is a New Hall of Fame Member Enshrined as a Member of a Team?

Obviously, teams take great pride in the accomplishments of individuals who have been a part of their organization.  Often individual teams and even the Hall of Fame will list enshrinees according to the team or teams on which they spent a significant period of time.  An enshrinee, however, is not asked to “declare,” nor does the Hall of Fame “choose” a team under which a new member is enshrined.  When elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, an individual is recognized for accomplishments as a player, coach, or contributor.

http://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/selection-process-faq/

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I guess i just figured when the got inducted and picked someone to induct them it was always from a specific team it seemed like. Hence entering the Hall as a specific player. And thought the player chose that

if you check hall of fame website, they list all teams played for, there is memorabilia from all teams they played for, if you search by franchise players who played for multiple teams are listed under all franchises they played for (like check out Reggie White)

So sounds like maybe you are just concerned if Shady picks an eagle or a bill to speak for him at the HOF induction ceremony? I guess...who cares? 

I love that Shady has loved Buffalo since he actually arrived, sure when he was traded he was upset...hes been in PA his whole life and the trade came out of nowhere...but now considers Buffalo home, loves it here and wants to finish his career here. When his career is over, he will have been a tremendous Eagle AND Bill.

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

if you check hall of fame website, they list all teams played for, there is memorabilia from all teams they played for, if you search by franchise players who played for multiple teams are listed under all franchises they played for (like check out Reggie White)

So sounds like maybe you are just concerned if Shady picks an eagle or a bill to speak for him at the HOF induction ceremony? I guess...who cares? 

I love that Shady has loved Buffalo since he actually arrived, sure when he was traded he was upset...hes been in PA his whole life and the trade came out of nowhere...but now considers Buffalo home, loves it here and wants to finish his career here. When his career is over, he will have been a tremendous Eagle AND Bill.

Changed everything up lol now just wondering if the Bills honor him or is the longevity here an issue

i think it really depends on the next couple years.  If he stays and keeps racking up yards, then i think the Bills should and would honor him.  He would, at that point, have been the best player on the team over a significant era (5+ years).  If he was traded away after this season hypothetically, i do not think he would.  So really depends on the next two to three years.  

For the Bills to honor him, it would be based upon what he did as a Bill, as opposed to the HOF which would honor him based on what he did at each stop along his career.  That makes a big difference.  Over his career for the Bills, so far shady has run for 3200yds and 22TDs.  For comparison, in his first 3 years with the bills, Travis Henry ran for 3500yds and 27TDs...

Edited by Bill Murray

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Changed everything up lol now just wondering if the Bills honor him or is the longevity here an issue

thats a good and fair question...I see Shady sticking around for a couple more years and likely getting to the 12K mark here...IF we make it to the playoffs and Shady is a major part of that I can see the Bills honoring him..

At the end of the day, for me personally, I don't really care. Shady is already one of my favorite Bills (that IS saying something) for what he has done on the field and especially off the field. He is a true class act who is also an incredible running back for us. Love how he takes care of his teammates - especially his linemen. Love how he interacts with the fans. Love his charitable work. Shady is the man and I am proud he's on our team! 

I remember some threads about two seasons back stating  that Shady wasn't very good and had some of the worse stats (e.g., yards per touch) in the NFL.     It was even hinted that luminaries like Ryan Mathews and Mike Gillislee were much better.   So why would the Bills honor such a mediocre runner =)  

If he were to retire after this season it would be hard for me to put him in the HOF. But if we project 2-3 more 1000 yard seasons for him I think he makes it on longevity. 

Other than TDs, his overall numbers do look better than Lynch's and while starting 10 fewer games. And some people feel that Lynch is a HOFer at only 9800 career rushing yards.

Of course in today's game, it's probably not fair to expect a RB to go over 13 or 14 thousand rushing yards. They just aren't use the same way. McCoy has over 1000 more receving yards then Lynch in 10 fewer games started.

McCoy only has one truly dominant season on his resume but he's been consistent enough and good enough that he'll make it into the HOF by the time he retires.

As far as our WOF. I think he makes it if he sticks around for one more season. I'm hoping he can continue to be productive and stick around for 2-3 more years. He's been quoted as saying that he thinks he can play a longtime at a high level. Sort of the RB version of Brady. Would love to see that.