Week 16: Patriots' Game Preparation - Inactives Announced with EJ Gaines Out

26CornerBlitz

Posted by Chris Brown on December 23, 2017 – 10:01 am

Amidst the Bills chase for an AFC playoff berth, head coach Sean McDermott, in his first year at the helm is close to achieving a mark rarely accomplished by Bills first-year head coaches.

With an 8-6 record, Sean McDermott has a chance to be the fifth coach in Bills history (of the 20 they’ve had) to have a record over .500 in his first full season with the team. Here’s a look at the coaches who have been able to post a better than .500 record in year one.

Bills’ Coaches – Record Over .500 in 1st Full Season w/Team
Lou Saban, 1962 7-6-1
Joe Collier, 1966 9-4-1 *
Wade Phillips, 1998 10-6 *
Mike Mularkey, 2004 9-7
Sean McDermott, 2017 8-6

* team made postseason

Note: Marv Levy’s first “full” season was the strike-shortened 1987 season, when the Bills went 7-8. They did go 12-4 the following year.

top-10-week-16-story.jpg
The Bills will head to Foxboro for a Christmas Eve matchup with the Patriots Week 16. Here are the top 10 reasons to get into the spirit for the game.

23 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The only thing I’ll agree with you on there is that he lacks “deep speed” to take the top off a defense.  I have yet to see definitive evidence of those other things.  I’ll reserve judgement until I see Zay with someone else under center.

I like your glasses. Just not the Rose-colored tint.. Re-watch the games.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I like your glasses. Just not the Rose-colored tint.. Re-watch the games.

How did you know I wear glasses :ph34r:?

Ehh, I’ve watched all the games man.  I’ve seen Zay play really poorly (poor route running/drops), and I’ve seen him do some really good things.  That said, I’m not ready to completely condemn him like you are.  Ultimately, I think he’ll be better suited to play in the slot.  I don’t think he is best suited to play the “x” or “z” WR positions in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

Fairburn's prediction

It's tough to pick against the Patriots in a division game at home in December. That's not a situation New England usually loses in, especially with Tom Brady and the rest of the starters playing the full game. That said, the Bills have a chance to make this one close. If they play defense like they did last time, the Bills would just need a better offensive showing to make this game interesting. 

Patriots 25, Bills 17

Talbot's prediction

The Bills enter Gillette Stadium as a large underdog and it’s easy to see why. New England will enter the game coming off of a big win over the Steelers and defeated Buffalo by 20 points earlier this month. The Bills will likely throw the kitchen sink at New England in an attempt to pull off a major upset, but it’s hard to pick against the Patriots.

Patriots 27 - Bills 13

Do the Bills have a shocking upset in them? I just can’t bring myself to entertain the possibility, not in this spot. The Patriots are still in a fight not only to secure a first-round bye, but home-field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs. They need to win, and they need losses by the Steelers and Jaguars to lock up the No. 1 seed, so don’t plan on a letdown following their emotional and dramatic win in Pittsburgh last week. The Bills won in Foxborough in 2014 and 2016, but then rookie Jimmy Garoppolo or Jacoby Brissett isn’t coming out of that tunnel Sunday, it’ll be Brady, fully motivated and probably fired up because in the game three weeks ago at Buffalo, the Bills held him without a touchdown pass. The Bills are fortunate in that a loss does not eliminate them from postseason contention. It doesn’t help, obviously, but if they go to Miami and pull out a victory, and a couple other results swing their way — all of which is very possible — this game really won’t mean much. MY PICK: Patriots 31, Bills 16.

HOW TO WATCH BILLS VS. PATRIOTS

bills-pats-12-24-story.jpg

Details on how to watch Buffalo's Week 16 game against New England.

Game Date/Time:

Sunday, Dec. 24 at 1:00 p.m. E.T.

Broadcast Information:

CBS

Television:

Play-by-Play: Jim Nantz

Color Analyst: Tony Romo

Sideline: Tracy Wolfson

Bills Radio Network:

Buffalo:* WGR550 (550 AM)

Toronto:* Fan 590 (590 AM)

Rochester: WCMF (96.5 AM) and WROC (950 AM)

Syracuse:  WTKW (99.5 FM) and WTKV (105.5 FM)

Play-by-Play: John Murphy

Color Analyst: Mark Kelso

Sideline: Sal Capaccio

Posted by Chris Brown on December 23, 2017 – 1:38 pm

Three weeks ago against the Bills, Tom Brady was intercepted by Tre’Davious White on a third-down pass play in the fourth quarter. That play resulted in Rob Gronkowski’s suspension-inducing late hit on White. It also started a rough stretch for the Patriots on third down.

Beginning with that play, Brady has thrown more third-down picks than third-down completions resulting in first downs. New England has had 22 third down plays counting White’s INT and they have just three conversions versus four interceptions and a pair of sacks.

The Bills are hoping that trend continues today

Patriots’ Offense – Last 22 3rd-Down Plays
Brady – Comp-Att – 7-18
Comp for 1st Down – 2 (Amendola, Cooks)
Interceptions – 4
Sacks – 2
Rushes – 2
For 1st Down – 1

Brady has five third-down interceptions total this season. It’s the most for him in any season since 2004 when he had seven.

16 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I really hope this guerrero controversy became a big enough distraction to the patriots locker room this week. 

Need all the help we can get.

I just wanted to add....

Guerrero must be a super sketchy dude. Either Belicheat was pissed off that he wasnt the main cheat anymore, or that Guerrero was too sketch, even for him.

What a weird organization

Belichick lost it when he found out Guerrero wasn't cheating enough. Holistic HGH.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

If the Bills win the toss, I hope they don’t do their usual and defer.

I want the ball first and attempt to take the lead. I think that game a few weeks back would have been completely different if we punched that opening drive in the endzone, or even kicked a FG. 

I don’t want to see Brady get first crack at things.

15 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

If the Bills win the toss, I hope they don’t do their usual and defer.

I want the ball first and attempt to take the lead. I think that game a few weeks back would have been completely different if we punched that opening drive in the endzone, or even kicked a FG. 

I don’t want to see Brady get first crack at things.

Rather have it first in 2nd half. I get your train of thought but our offense has been flat out terrible in the 1st quarter all year long. I think asking for football first would be a waste of possesion for us.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Rather have it first in 2nd half. I get your train of thought but our offense has been flat out terrible in the 1st quarter all year long. I think asking for football first would be a waste of possesion for us.

Well the Bills did ram the ball down the phishes throat on the opening drive last week.

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:
Posted by Chris Brown on December 23, 2017 – 10:01 am

Amidst the Bills chase for an AFC playoff berth, head coach Sean McDermott, in his first year at the helm is close to achieving a mark rarely accomplished by Bills first-year head coaches.

With an 8-6 record, Sean McDermott has a chance to be the fifth coach in Bills history (of the 20 they’ve had) to have a record over .500 in his first full season with the team. Here’s a look at the coaches who have been able to post a better than .500 record in year one.

Bills’ Coaches – Record Over .500 in 1st Full Season w/Team
Lou Saban, 1962 7-6-1
Joe Collier, 1966 9-4-1 *
Wade Phillips, 1998 10-6 *
Mike Mularkey, 2004 9-7
Sean McDermott, 2017 8-6

* team made postseason

Note: Marv Levy’s first “full” season was the strike-shortened 1987 season, when the Bills went 7-8. They did go 12-4 the following year.

wow that Pic of Kyle Jerry and whats his name is rather awesome !

ty