How much longer does McD get?

The juice

1 hour ago, Bill_with_it said:

Truly is sad. Some posters around here fail to understand the context of the situation before yappin. Thats why they are sitting on the couch screaming like teenagers and Sean is on the sideline calmly making the call and leading his team to a victory.

Finally something we agree on.

People here are lead-eaters.

56 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Finally something we agree on.

People here are lead-eaters.

Fans are fans emotionally attached. Literally every football expert called this the correct thimg to do given the circumstances. If we have a completely healthy offense on a sunny day depending on how the offense was playing sure go for it. Not today. Im glad he didnt listen to the fans.

3 hours ago, The juice said:

Week after week it seems like a poor coaching decision happens.  In game or out of game with the tyrod benching. I really do not believe he is head coach material

He will get at least another year, probably more.   Really depends on what the team looks like next year and whether they win or lose games and how they win or lose games.

7 hours ago, The juice said:

Week after week it seems like a poor coaching decision happens.  In game or out of game with the tyrod benching. I really do not believe he is head coach material

The way I see it, McDermott will likely get at least 3 more years, if not all 4.  Here's why:

1 - Pegulas have will have gone through 3 coaches since taking over.  I know they don't want to be known as owners that don't give coaches a shot  Plus I know Terry informally speaks with oldtime NFL coaches and GM's (Bill Polian for example) and they will encourage him to stay the course.

2 - McDermott has a ton of power around One Bills Drive. More than any coach has in a while and that's because Terry gave him that control.  Again, I don't think Terry takes it away so suddenly

3 - Brandon Beane is the GM and he basically is tied to McDermott.  IMO the two are a package deal.  I can't see Terry firing one without the other.  

Only way I see a quick exit is two horrendous seasons 1-3 wins kind of bad.  I'm sure both Beane and McDermott prepped Terry that this year could be rough since they are turning over the roster, so 2017 might actually be viewed as a success. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Rob's House said:

2 more years at a minimum. If you're not willing to give a coach at least 3 years you shouldn't hire him in the first place.

This madness called Coaching carousel must stop.  The Bills have to let the coaching staff draft and develop their players.  We gave Rex 2 years and he drafted a lot of 3-4 personnel only to be ripped out by Sean.  Rex himself killed the past by converting from a 4-3 to 3-4.  You just can't keep changing the schemes and hope that the same piece works in different schemes.  First give McD an opportunity to get his QB in place.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

This madness called Coaching carousel must stop.  The Bills have to let the coaching staff draft and develop their players.  We gave Rex 2 years and he drafted a lot of 3-4 personnel only to be ripped out by Sean.  Rex himself killed the past by converting from a 4-3 to 3-4.  You just can't keep changing the schemes and hope that the same piece works in different schemes.  First give McD an opportunity to get his QB in place.  

Personally, I think if you have the wrong guy at HC you don't keep him for continuity sake.  History has shown, it's not a good idea.  Rex was the wrong guy and the Pegulas made the right choice.

I think the Pegulas though think like you - I would be surprised if McDermott doesn't get at least 4 years barring back-to-back catastrophic

seasons. 

I'm just guessing but I think this is how it went down.

Mcd: 4th and 1, what do you got Rico?

Rico: Well I have this play where we hand off the ball and the throw it back to the QB and then the QB throws the ball to a different player!

Mcd: you mean a flea flicker?

Rico: What's a flea flicker?

Mcd: TIMEOUT!!!!

Mcd: !@#$ It!  we're punting!

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 3

We shopped out a bunch of talent and are currently in the tear down phase of a rebuild. We really haven't even started the rebuilding part yet. Did people really even expect us to be 7-6 right now? Worst we finish is 7-9 (and hopefully it's more like 9-7 (knock on wood)). Thats pretty damn good, all things considered IMO. 

I don't like every decision McDermott makes, and he's definitely made some mistakes. But he is a rookie head coach, and he has a far less talented team than Rex had playing much better football (outside of 3 games). They are much more disciplined, their fundamentals are greatly improved, they've been much better at not beating themselves, and all the players seem to have really bought in to what he's doing. I've heard numerous players say how much faith they have in this new regime, and I Love the team camaraderie he's established and the fight this team has. 

His draft class looks pretty damn good, too. As of right now we are getting contributions from his entire draft class. White, Dawkins, Jones and Milano are starting. Peterman's played spot duty and Vallejo has been a solid special teams contributor. That gets me pretty damn excited to see what they do with their boatload of picks in the coming draft(s). 

The McDermott hate reminds me a bit of the Marrone hate.... he could end up with the same 9-7 record (burn his 1st Hera instead of his 2nd) and some people would be just as happy to see McDermott gone as they were to see Marrone go. 

You know what, No coach is every going to be perfect. They all make mistakes and decisions we won't agree with. But like Marrone, McDermott has shown promise. He deserves more time.

I think he's done a lot of good things. He has a clear vision and plan and has laid out the blueprint to execute it. Him, Beane and the entire scouting+personnel dept seem to all be on the same page. That's something we haven't seen in quite a while here. Let's just have some patience and see where it goes. 

At some point we have to stop firing coaches and changing directions every 2-3 years. That's something a lot of bad teams have in common and I am damn sick of being a bad team... I'd love to see them stick to a plan for once. 

5 hours ago, Bill_with_it said:

Fans are fans emotionally attached. Literally every football expert called this the correct thimg to do given the circumstances. If we have a completely healthy offense on a sunny day depending on how the offense was playing sure go for it. Not today. Im glad he didnt listen to the fans.

What football expert have you heard say this? I haven't even seen the decision discussed outside of this board or WGR.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

14 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

You know what, No coach is every going to be perfect. They all make mistakes and decisions we won't agree with. But like Marrone, McDermott has shown promise. He deserves more time.

I think he's done a lot of good things. He has a clear vision and plan and has laid out the blueprint to execute it. Him, Beane and the entire scouting+personnel dept seem to all be on the same page. That's something we haven't seen in quite a while here. Let's just have some patience and see where it goes. 

At some point we have to stop firing coaches and changing directions every 2-3 years. That's something a lot of bad teams have in common and I am damn sick of being a bad team... I'd love to see them stick to a plan for once. 

+1.  Frasier needs to step up here and put a better defense on the field.  Opponents have abused us on the run defense and it is is really crappy.  If they fix the leak against the run with better LBs the defense has no where but to go up.

21 minutes ago, ganesh said:

+1.  Frasier needs to step up here and put a better defense on the field.  Opponents have abused us on the run defense and it is is really crappy.  If they fix the leak against the run with better LBs the defense has no where but to go up.

1) McDermott is a defensive coach.

2) We had a guy good at stopping the run then shipped him off for a 6th round pick.

When does the HC ever get held accountable. He seems to hold all the talented players accountable, and ship them out of town or bench them. If the defense isn't his fault, and the offense isn't his fault. Both coordinators take the blame, but the guy who hired them gets off? 

2 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

1) McDermott is a defensive coach.

2) We had a guy good at stopping the run then shipped him off for a 6th round pick.

When does the HC ever get held accountable. He seems to hold all the talented players accountable, and ship them out of town or bench them. If the defense isn't his fault, and the offense isn't his fault. Both coordinators take the blame, but the guy who hired them gets off? 

McDermott's responsibility would be in hiring a DC or OC who are not good enough to take the team to the playoffs. That is where he will be held accountable.  He shipped a guy because he was not playing well and our Salary cap is a mess. Sometimes, you gain by subtraction.