Bills vs. Colts Postgame

26CornerBlitz

I'm happy with the W, but at least two coaching decisions left me scratching my head.

1. About a minute to go, blizzard conditions, deep in your own territory, tie game. Not the time to let the 3rd string QB throw. Go conservative and play for OT.

2. In OT, 4 minutes to go, at the opponent's 41, 4th and 1. That's when you play aggressively. Otherwise, you're basically playing for a tie, which is about the same as a loss in terms of WC hopes.

I know it worked out in the end, but I'm not thrilled with the path to victory. I hope McD is a good student and learns from the game.

23 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Never thought I'd see a game where a Bills team was out-coached bu Chuck !@#$ing Pagano. 

Pagano played to win. McD played not to lose. and got lucky. 

Been like that all year. i don't like defensive coaches as HC

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....Richie's block was classic Richie..............hole was monstrous.............

Bet that defenses really do not look forward to playing him up close and personal.
My Man 64 kicks ### blocking. especially when moving downfield to the second level

As far as NFL games go, this one wasn't a thriller until late in the 4th. But for me, it was extra fun to watch because it reminded me of playing sandlot football in the snow when I was a kid.

• Like (+1) 2

Bills 13, Colts 7 (OT)

1. You could almost hear the iconic Sam Spence-composed orchestral music playing in the background while watching Bills and Colts players trudging through ankle-deep snow and blizzard-like conditions that only John Facenda could ever give justice to accurately describing. Still, the football-game-in-a-snow-globe scene won't just be remembered for its vivid picturesque quality -- it featured one of the most exciting finishes of the season. After the Colts managed to tie it in the closing minutes of regulation in thrilling fashion, LeSean McCoy scored on a 21-yard walk-off sprint in overtime to keep Buffalo very much in the AFC wild-card race. McCoy's touchdown was set up by a spectacular 34-yard catch by Deonte Thompson on a pass from Joe Webb, who came in for the injured Nathan Petermanduring the second half. McCoy finished with a season-high 158 yards on 32 carries and Peterman completed five of 10 passes for 57 yards and a touchdown before leaving the game to be evaluated for a head injury.

2. Until the final minutes of regulation, the Colts more or less played like a team that's used to having a retractable roof overhead. After lying dormant for most of the game, Jacoby Brissett, Frank Gore and the Colts pieced together an incredible 19-play drive that included a pair of fourth-down conversions and culminated in a 3-yard touchdown pass to tight end Jack Doyle. Chuck Pagano then tried to win it all on a two-point conversion attempt only for the Colts to be called for offensive pass interference. Then, after some foot-induced snow plowing by the Colts' special teams unit to give him a more sturdy ball placement, Adam Vinatieri made an amazing, 43-yard extra-point to force overtime. It was truly spectacular feat for the Colts even if he ended up missing another 43-yard field-goal attempt just before the end of regulation following an interception by Matthias Farley. Gore finished with a season best 130 yards rushing on a career-high 36 carries and Brissett completed 11 of 22 passes for 69 yards.

3. The near-blinding conditions made things difficult for each team's offense to literally and figuratively find traction, but for a brief moment at the end of the first half, everything clicked for Buffalo. Peterman, starting in place for the injured Tyrod Taylor, found Kelvin Benjamin on a beautiful 21-yard pass. How Benjamin managed to see the ball through the driving snow and use his 6-foot-6 frame to perfection to make the catch over Colts rookie corner Kenny Moore is anyone's guess. On the next play, Peterman connected with Benjamin again on an 8-yard pass for the game's only score. The eight-play drive, which benefited early on from a 23-yard plow by McCoy early on, kept the Bills ahead for most of the game. 

-- Austin Knoblauch

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

Didn’t our rb, the one with all the kids who got arrested, heck why can’t I remember...Travis henry?

didnt he have one against the bengals in his rookie or second year?

I know Peerlice Price caught one from Bledsoe against the Vikings in 2002.

3 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Didn’t our rb, the one with all the kids who got arrested, heck why can’t I remember...Travis henry?

didnt he have one against the bengals in his rookie or second year?

I think you're right.  It was a couple weeks after the Price TD that Henry caught one at home against the Bengals.

15 minutes ago, njbuff said:

How is this game meaningless? If Baltimore loses, the Bills are tied with them.

I understand how you feel, but to say this game is meaningless is just dumb.

I wouldn't pay much attention to what he's saying today, maybe tomorrow will be a better day for him.

• Thank you (+1) 1