Do you feed the birds?

mead107

On December 5, 2017 at 6:37 PM, mead107 said:

I just put our feeder out last week.  Birds are just coming around.    3 feeders on one pole. 

Fun watching the squirrels try and get to the feeders. I will switch one to sunflower seeds in a couple weeks. 

I definitely enjoy feeding birds.

I find the more aggressive ones greatly enjoy the taste of trouser snake.

I keep several feeders full of black oil sunflower seed, safflower, and a sock with nyger seed.  It’s so cold, and watching them try to break the shells, that I went out and got some  songbird feed without shells and a new tube feeder. Goldfinches have taken over the tube feeder.  Downy woodpeckers, red-bellied woodpeckers, chickadees, nuthatches and titmouses all in abundance.  Haven’t seen a cardinal yet this winter. Even put some corn out for the squirrel. Hate those buggers but it’s tough seeing them struggle in the cold. Amazing anything survives in this weather.  0 right now and 20 below wind chill in SYR.  

• Like (+1) 1

I have never used a gun before (technically I used one but not as intended on mugger after I took it away from him) and I'd like to be able to shoot the damn squirrels deciding to hang on bird feeder they cannot get into just trying to stick paw inside.  I got within 5 feet of it once and if I had a stick I could have hit it.  My wife tried to chase them away using an air gun but evidently it does not do anything but annoy them.

17 hours ago, mead107 said:

Lot of empty seed shells on the deck. 

The last time I went to CountryMax to get seed,  I saw they had a bag of Sunflower Meaties.  The bag looked like it had large unshelled sunflower pieces and some Black Oil Sunflower seeds.  I had never tried these before as I usually buy Sunflower hearts, which are unshelled small pieces, and Black Oil Sunflower seeds separately.  So  I tried a 30 lb bag for $39.  Turns out there were a bit more Black Oil seeds in the mix than I thought, and the birds, mostly Gold Finches, always eat the unshelled pieces first.  The bottom of the feeder ends up totally black, filled with all the left over shelled Black Oil seeds.  They eventually get to the shelled seeds and I had forgotten one of the reasons I switched to use less of the shelled seeds.  One huge black mess under the feeder.

The hearts cost about the same, 40 lbs for $53, as the mix so in the end they are a better value.  No shell mess and the finches really love the hearts.  There are times I have about 25 finches at the feeders at the same time.

• Like (+1) 1

Had a finch fly into the sliding glass door and knock itself out this morning. Could see it still breathing laying on its back.  30 minutes later it was on it's feet.  Half hour later it flew away. 

Edited by mead107

1 hour ago, mead107 said:

Had a finch fly into the sliding glass door and knock itself out this morning. Could see it still breathing laying on its back.  30 minutes later it was on it's feet.  Half hour later it flew away. 

What was his name, McCoy?

Since moving to the new house, it's been strange. We put out a feeder - but no birds. That's odd, because we live in an area that was a forest and there still is a lot of trees all around us. We just haven't seen many birds this winter. A few came by into the yard, but none went to the feeder.

Then about a week ago, during the Jan thaw a flock of mixed species descended upon the yard. About six bluebirds, Juncos, sparrows, Titmouse, and a few others hung out for a day. 

WRT Goldfinches - the males don't change color until spring. And, they like thistle seed. Those are best put into a special feeder.

1024.jpg

15 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Got a better pic of a cardinal... On Saturday.  Hooked phone up to Fieldglasses... Nothing fancy, not too bad a shot:

WinterRedBird_01202018.jpg

Through my kitchen window...

Very brightly colored for this this time of year.

One year we had a rodent type animal rummaging thru my wife's plants on deck so we put a cage to catch it and transport it to a park far enough away it would not come back.

My wife baited trap with peanut butter.

In two days she caught a "predator" - it was a cardinal who went into the trap to eat the peanut butter.

I found a better homemade trap - put out buckets with cannot be tipped over with food in them.  Creature (usually a river rat) goes in and cannot get out. When it rains it drowns.

The bald eagles are back @ work... Will try and strap phone on 12x fieldglasses & tripod to get closer shots.  This was last February.  Working days this weekend:

(Sorry for low compression quality getting under site limit of 200kb)

20170228_122259.jpg

It's that dot up on tippy top of tree... Have to wait to post closer pic (site limit)

20170228_122638.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just took this pic a few minutes ago w/my cellphone... Bald Eagle flying @ the lock & dam.  Man, times like this I regret leaving my real camera and binoculars @ home!

He's a real monster.  Seagulls cross his path, he'll feed his family w/them!

Again... Only used my cellphone.  /wallbash... But not bad.  Also, I had to compress it down below 200kb to get it on the site here:

20180207_111458.jpg

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

10 PM last night a damn pigeon / morning dove was banging into the front window....   

damn feeder 

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Just took this pic a few minutes ago w/my cellphone... Bald Eagle flying @ the lock & dam.  Man, times like this I regret leaving my real camera and binoculars @ home!

He's a real monster.  Seagulls cross his path, he'll feed his family w/them!

Again... Only used my cellphone.  /wallbash... But not bad.  Also, I had to compress it down below 200kb to get it on the site here:

20180207_111458.jpg

photo shopped 

• Haha (+1) 1

When I was installing and servicing these 

Image result for Truck weigh station camera eagle

we captured an eagle fly by the camera as the truck passed the trigger 

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I will live stream a video next... :P

Heretic!:D

it took me a sec to recognize it 

I believe you,   I wish I has saved the one I referenced above 

Image result for wildlife caught on DOT cameras   Image result for wildlife caught on DOT cameras   

Image result for wildlife caught on DOT cameras

22 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

When I was installing and servicing these 

Image result for Truck weigh station camera eagle

we captured an eagle fly by the camera as the truck passed the trigger 

it took me a sec to recognize it 

I believe you,   I wish I has saved the one I referenced above 

Image result for wildlife caught on DOT cameras   Image result for wildlife caught on DOT cameras   

Image result for wildlife caught on DOT cameras

Great Snowy Owls are in abundance this year... It's a bumper crop of them making way south.  My wife's bird watcher instructor @ the nature center in town took a pic of one snowy owl... From the Walmart parking lot.  She had her DSLR camera... Amazing shot with a 500mm lens!

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I still don't see  bigfoot    ;)

nice pics 

Did you name them  Bad bad Leroy Brown ? 

The one is a real monster... Terrorizes the gulls...

Gonna borrow a crew members DSLR with 500mm zoom on Sunday.  Watch, the birds won't show.  Morning they seem active.

Back in 2012... The CPD abandoned plans for an outdoor gun range because of the bald eagles:

https://www.wbez.org/shows/wbez-news/chicago-police-abandon-south-side-gun-range/9d4eca02-3d09-4d16-bfb2-66eeb6faa51f

Now thay "gun range" is the rest of the city...<_<

One of the oldest conservation/environmental laws on the books... Over a 100 years old:

"Though no longer an endangered species, bald eagles are still protected by the Migratory Bird Act and the Federal Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act. The latter prohibits people from the disturbing the birds in a way that could affect their breeding, feeding or nesting without government consent..."

Hope my taking pix doesn't eff w/their sex life.  I'll just tell the eagles: "I am from the government and I am here to help!":D

I have several kinds of feeders of different types filled with black oil sunflower seed, nut and fruit blend, peanuts, and suet which attract sparrows, house finches, chickadees, woodpeckers (downy, hairy, and occasionally red bellied), slate-sided juncoes, nuthatches, cardinals, and bluejays not to mention those feeder pests starlings and pigeons.  In warmer weather, I feed sunflower seeds and nyger seed, but I get lots of birds all year around because I mostly maintain a bird-friendly yard with no pesticides, water sources (an artificial pond with waterfall and at least two birdbaths), food sources (choke cherry trees, lots of brightly colored flowers, berries, and weedy areas) and shelter (a row of arborvitaes along the north fence line).  I get lots of doves, robins, hummingbirds, and goldfinches as well as some unusual visitors during migrations like evening grosbeaks and orioles.  I've occasionally even had young goshawks hang around in my yard for a few days in the fall because of the smaller birds that come to my feeders.