Do you take Lamar Jackson?

Bakin

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

I'm not disputing the fact that he is a great COLLEGE player. Tebow was a GREAT college player. What I am telling you is he doesn't have the skillset to make it at QB in the NFL. He is not Vick. He is not Deshaun Watson. His passing ability just isn't something to be desired. Again, exceptional athlete. Not an NFL QB. 

Neither did Taylor. Taylor still doesn't. He's gotten as far as he has with an amazing work ethic and some good fortune. 

8 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Neither did Taylor. Taylor still doesn't. He's gotten as far as he has with an amazing work ethic and some good fortune. 

Tyrod is not the best QB, but he is serviceable. Lamar is not on Tyrod's level. Not yet. I still say Tyrod is a better passer. If we are looking to get a Franchise QB then we are NOT considering Jackson. He's not an NFL QB. He's a great athlete playing the QB position, not a good QB who is also a great athlete. 

10 minutes ago, H2o said:

Tyrod is not the best QB, but he is serviceable. Lamar is not on Tyrod's level. Not yet. I still say Tyrod is a better passer. If we are looking to get a Franchise QB then we are NOT considering Jackson. He's not an NFL QB. He's a great athlete playing the QB position, not a good QB who is also a great athlete. 

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Jackson is capable of making throws that Tyrod can only pull off in his dreams. Issue is consistency. Footwork has a lot to do with that, which I think can improve with hard work.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Jackson is capable of making throws that Tyrod can only pull off in his dreams. Issue is consistency. Footwork has a lot to do with that, which I think can improve with hard work.

Don't get me wrong, I think the guy is electric and fun to watch. He also gives his all every time he's on the field. He is a one man wrecking crew in the college game. I just don't see him being successful at the next level where it is the best of the best from college week in and week out lining up against him. :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Beane take Rudolph IMO............

I hope not, just have not been impressed.

Mayfield for me.

5 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He was terrible today. Might have been the worst game of his career. 

Hasn't been good all year, don't know why people say he has improved so much as as a NFL prospect.

2 hours ago, TigerJ said:

The more I think about it, the more intrigued I am by Lamar Jackson.  I wouldn't plan on him starting in September.

Or ever.

(Went through Bath yesterday, many beautiful homes there)

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Based on what?  Jackson would be very fortunate, to put it lightly, to have Tyrod's level of success in the NFL.  

....schedule does not permit me to see college ball, so I depend on community folks for their assessment.....sounds like Jackson (and probably 2017 Watson) have similar styles to TT?....am I close?.....if so, why would Jackson be superior to TT versus another TT?.......seems lke Dennison has telegraphed with luvfest with TT, so why would he change his tune if Jackson is similar in style?....

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....schedule does not permit me to see college ball, so I depend on community folks for their assessment.....sounds like Jackson (and probably 2017 Watson) have similar styles to TT?....am I close?.....if so, why would Jackson be superior to TT versus another TT?.......seems lke Dennison has telegraphed with luvfest with TT, so why would he change his tune if Jackson is similar in style?....

I don’t think it is the fact that Taylor is a good runner that Dennison doesn’t like.  The problem is that Taylor will not throw passes that good NFL QBs need to throw.  He won’t throw to guys that are not WIDE open, does not throw anticipation routes and generally just holds the ball too long and that disrupts plays. 

17 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I don’t think it is the fact that Taylor is a good runner that Dennison doesn’t like.  The problem is that Taylor will not throw passes that good NFL QBs need to throw.  He won’t throw to guys that are not WIDE open, does not throw anticipation routes and generally just holds the ball too long and that disrupts plays. 

....thanks and I have to agree......anticipating, trusting and spotting receivers are all mental aspects and I STILL think after 55 years of following this game that mental trumps physical every time....

11 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....thanks and I have to agree......anticipating, trusting and spotting receivers are all mental aspects and I STILL think after 55 years of following this game that mental trumps physical every time....

I agree with you at QB.  BTW, we call it mental, but it is a special skill that some athletes have.  It is not intelligence in the traditional sense, but rather the ability to innately see, process what you see and react almost instantly.  This is a different kind of mental aptitude that the great ones have.

Preparation in knowing the plays and repetition can help, but I'm not sure that this aptitude can really be developed much - I think you either have "it" or you don't.  I do wonder if virtual reality simulators could help QBs improve in this area without the wear and tear of having to be on the practice/game field to get those mental reps.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.