THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Pats Crush Bills

Shaw66

The Rockpile Review – by Shaw66

Pats Crush Bills

Things we learned (or already knew) watching the Pats crush the Bills on Sunday, 23-3:

1.  The Patriots are really good. 

2.  The Bills aren’t as good as the Pats, but they aren’t the abomination that took the field against the Saints and the Chargers. 

3.  The Pats are as fundamentally sound as any football in memory, and they’ve been that way for a decade and a half or more.

4.  The Bills are not a playoff team and THEY’VE been THAT way for a decade and a half or more. 

5  The Pats have a Hall of Fame quarterback, and the game looks easy when you have one of those.

6.  The Bills don’t have a Hall of Fame quarterback.  On Sunday, the Bills would have been in the game if they’d had an average NFL quarterback.  They didn’t have one of those, either. 

In other words, it was a slow news day at New Era Field.

Taylor’s interception on the first possession may have been the worst throw in Taylor’s professional career.  Taylor’s made a career, so far, of not taking risks with the ball and avoiding interceptions.  When you don’t take risks, you don’t learn the difference between good risks and bad risks.  Taylor clearly didn’t understand the difference on that play.  It’s a completely different game if the Bills score 7.

Taylor made several poor throws to receivers who were closely covered.  Accurate, well-delivered balls would have resulted in completions.  His throws were at the feet of receivers, behind receivers, over receivers, just not good enough. 

Taylor was injured on the first offensive play.  Did the injury impact his play later in the drive and later in the game?   Maybe, but it doesn’t change the conclusion.  Taylor had a bad day in a game that a good quarterback could have won.

Could have won?  You bet.  That game was closer than the score.  The Bills ran the ball effectively.  The Bills were 15-34 passing, and with good quarterbacking could have been 25 for 34.  It’s easy to see the Bills scoring a couple of touchdowns if their passing game had been as effective as their running game.   

Would the Bills have won with better quarterbacking?  Probably not.  Why?  Because the Bills’ front five on offense and front four on defense just aren’t good enough.  Brady had all day to throw, and the Bills’ quarterbacks were under pressure constantly, including on Taylor’s interception.  It’s too easy for Brady when he can wait and wait and wait for someone to get open.  And it’s too hard for anyone when he’s at risk of getting hit on most pass attempts.

Among the things that amaze me about the Patriots are these two:

1.  Patriots are always physically tough.   They take hard hits on offense without fumbling.  They take hard hits and break tackles. Over and over.  Their offensive scheme involves a lot of finesse, but there’s no finesse involved when they hit you.  They hit hard on defense, every play. 

2.  On defense, they rarely are out of position.  They got fooled when Webb overthrew Cadet, but that was about it.  Receivers may get open and make the catch, but the defender is in position to make the tackle.  Running backs may find a hole, but they don’t find 30 yards of open field – a defender is always in position to make the tackle, to limit the damage.  And these aren’t shoe-string tackles; these are straight on, drive the shoulder into the runner, wrap him up and take him down tackles.  

The Patriots are really good.  They always are. 

A note about Gronk.  The game was over, so an ejection wouldn’t have mattered.   He’s probably correct that White was guilty of pass interference.  That’s all beside the point.  The point is simple:  This is a violent game in which players are at risk on every play.  In that environment, there must be zero tolerance for intentional violence inflicted on a defenseless player in a dead ball situation.  Zero.  Players trust their opponents not to do that.  Gronk broke that trust.  He could have broken White’s neck.  He should be suspended for a game for the hit, and if White is injured or in the concussion protocol, he should be suspended for a second game. 

Gronk apologized, and I believe he’s sincere.  That has nothing to do with it.  Would Gronk accept the apology of a linebacker who took out Gronk’s ACL on an intentional late hit to the knee out of bounds?  

Zero tolerance.

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I thought you went to the game?

Are you home already? or did you stay the night?

Bravo.  Nice post Shaw. 

This part was an especially good insight I think. I hadn't considered that.

"Taylor’s made a career, so far, of not taking risks with the ball and avoiding interceptions.  When you don’t take risks, you don’t learn the difference between good risks and bad risks.  Taylor clearly didn’t understand the difference on that play."

Edited by BadLandsMeanie

10 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I thought you went to the game?

Are you home already? or did you stay the night?

Bravo.  Nice post Shaw. 

This part was an especially good insight I think. I hadn't considered that.

"Taylor’s made a career, so far, of not taking risks with the ball and avoiding interceptions.  When you don’t take risks, you don’t learn the difference between good risks and bad risks.  Taylor clearly didn’t understand the difference on that play."

Thanks.

Spending the night in Binghamton, so I wrote while watching the Seahawks.  

To that particular point.  It's something I talk about from time to time.  You can only be good at taking risks if you learn how to do it.  Only way to learn how is to take the risks.  So that throw was part of Tyrod's education.  But he should have made that mistake two years ago and learned from it.  

Highlight of the day was going to the CBS broadcast booth before the game and chatting with Jim Nantz for five minutes.   Incredibly nice guy.  

NE got 0 points off passing, all their points were FG (9) and rushing (14). Overall, the defense did a good job getting to Brady.  He was 21/30, 258 yards, 0 TD 1 INT, and a passer rating of 82.4, which is  well below his career passer rating of 97.9.  I don't think you're giving the DL enough credit this game; they outperformed expectations. 

Tyrod had a terrible game, as you pointed out.  Possible the injury sustained early in Q1 had something to do with that, but this was certainly one of his worst games this year.

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

NE got 0 points off passing, all their points were FG (9) and rushing (14). Overall, the defense did a good job getting to Brady.  He was 21/30, 258 yards, 0 TD 1 INT, and a passer rating of 82.4, which is  well below his career passer rating of 97.9.  I don't think you're giving the DL enough credit this game; they outperformed expectations. 

Tyrod had a terrible game, as you pointed out.  Possible the injury sustained early in Q1 had something to do with that, but this was certainly one of his worst games this year.

Pressure is more important than sacks.  The Bills got three sacks but very few pressures.   The Pats got double digit pressures.   There's a big difference. 

But I agree with your basic point.   The defense played well enough to win.  Pass defense was better than the run defense.  Pats completed several passes where you just had to shake your head at Brady's accuracy and the receivers', particularly Gronk's, ability to catch the ball every time.   And even the run defense was pretty good except on the few plays where they totally lost containment.  

As has been the case often this season, the offense lost the game, not the defense.  

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Shaw,

If TT is healthy should he start against the Colts?

Yes.   He's better than Peterman.   Peterman is altogether too green.   

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks.

Spending the night in Binghamton, so I wrote while watching the Seahawks.  

To that particular point.  It's something I talk about from time to time.  You can only be good at taking risks if you learn how to do it.  Only way to learn how is to take the risks.  So that throw was part of Tyrod's education.  But he should have made that mistake two years ago and learned from it.  

Highlight of the day was going to the CBS broadcast booth before the game and chatting with Jim Nantz for five minutes.   Incredibly nice guy.  

You did that before. Are you his secret toyboy or something?

Well, I am sure you don't see it that way.

But be careful. He may have his eye on you. And you see all stories about TV and movie people. Just a word of caution.

6 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Lot of patriots love going on in this post...  they looked human to me today. We had a real chance to win if we had any sort of offense at ALL!

Agreed, on both points.  

I live in New England, and I have an enormous dislike for many, many Patriots fan.   But as a football fan, I have enormous respect for the Patriots.  What they've done in era when parity rules is truly remarkable.   

And yes, the Bills could have won.   

I think what they have done in an era of parity is quite fishy.  Honestly how much parity is their really in the NFL?

Do you truly believe the pats are just that good to defy statistics and logic or do you think NFL is an entertainment sport and rules are bent in favor of supporting revenue generating super star dynasties and small market teams never really get the same benefits?

Hmmmmmmmm... I dunno. Will never give the pats any respect, besides they have been caught cheating on numerous occasions. GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Agreed, on both points.  

I live in New England, and I have an enormous dislike for many, many Patriots fan.   But as a football fan, I have enormous respect for the Patriots.  What they've done in era when parity rules is truly remarkable.   

And yes, the Bills could have won.   

Sorry Shaw but I will never admire an organization predicated on cheating. Or the most self absorbed and entitled fan base in the country.

• Like (+1) 3

Last night was the playoff drought displayed for all to see, they win with whatever players they happen to have and we can't get anything going and make stupid mistakes irrespective of coaches or players. 

We don't have a QB an that is literally the difference.

Neither Taylor, or Peterman is the answer.

Peterman might have more potential to fulfill at this point, but I think it's easier to doubt that he has a future, than trust he does.

One thing I do like about him, is that he has shown he can get rid of the ball quickly. 

I do think Tyrod gives the Bills a better chance to win for the rest of the season, but it's just so hard and painful to watch him play. I'll have to swallow it if I want an 8-8 season.

Either way, you gotta cut ties with Tyrod after this year. Go for cousins, or get a guy through the draft. I say do both. 

I cant wait for Belichick and brady to retire. Idk if it will happen anytime soon :(

Edited by GETTOTHE50

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes.   He's better than Peterman.   Peterman is altogether too green.   

So you're still of the belief that we can make the playoffs with a Tyrod-lead offense?

I'm not. In fact, after today I'm certain we won't. Combined with how every team we needed to lose ended up winning, I can't see it happening.

I rather see Peterman get stomped each week, take his bumps, and see if there's any hope in the guy over seeing more of what we already know from Tyrod, still lose the games, and get nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for the excellent review, Shaw.  Straight to the point as always.

i do disagree about Peterman.  He is green but he has what appears to be a high ceiling.  We have seen Tyrod’s ceiling.  He has great heart and legs but is not anywhere near a great QB.  Two games with significantly less than 100 yards passing is pretty problematic.  

I want to see what Nathan can do, and probably will have to under any circumstances.

Edited by Billsfansinceday1
  • Like (+1) 1

It's nice to see the defense back, but Buffalo's starting QB for 2018 isn't on this roster now. Peterman doesnt have the arm talent and the gap between he and Taylor isnt really that big.

Whatever culture change McDermott is trying to implement isn't going to change the results until they get a better QB talent.

Great review Shaw - thanks.  This was a particularly frustrating game to watch as the Bills defense kept stopping the Pats only to have the offense give it right back.  You knew sooner or later they would pull away.  The D played well enough to win, no

doubt.   It would have worked if they had any offense at all.  

There is no point in playing Tyrod again this year in my opinion.  It's too bad the offensive staff cannot figure out how to use his talents but they clearly can't, and Tyrod clearly cannot run the offense they want to run.  

Shaw

It isn't supposed to be like this in the modern NFL. Every year the Bills send out another roster and coaching staff to the inevitable slaughter. Yesterday was no different and if you think the Bills had a chance in that game if TT doesn't throw that early pick...I'm sorry but you're way off!  Until this team starts hitting the Patriots in the proverbial mouth they have no chance. I guarantee the Steelers are not afraid of NE....and they won't play them that way.