2x1st Round Draft Picks

Tatonka68

For a frame of reference, in 2016 the Eagles moved up from 8 to 2 (to take Wentz) by making the following trade with Cleveland:

Philly gave up:

#8 overall [2016]

3rd rounder (#77 overall) [2016]

4th rounder (#100 overall) [2016]

the following year's first round pick [2017]

third round pick in 2018

Cleveland gave up:

#2 pick overall

following year's 4th rounder [2017]

That is a lot of picks to move up for a single player -- but the Bills do have the ammunition (if either Cleveland or the NY Giants are willing to make the move) to hypothetically acquire Rosen/Darnold.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s the guy that I think falls as we get closer. He doesn’t have any skills that differentiate him. 

7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Rudolph is a Round 3-4 QB. You want to take him at SIX? 

Who says he is a 3-4 Round QB? Draftek has him as second BEST player. Don't care about numbers, only the player Mason Rudolph = Jim Kelly the second. 

25 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t hate trading up for a QB. I hate trading up for Mason Rudolph. I might be wrong but he’s the guy that I like least of the prospects to go early. 

I hate trading up for the 3rd choice at QB. Unless 6th pick is on the clock and Rosen is there.

Stay where you are and draft a QB in the first. Fill in the holes around him like the offensive line,  backup running back and add another speedy wide receiver.  Then fill in some holes to sure up the defense and grab a couple of guys in FA.  Give the rookie QB the best situation we can to make him as successful as possible.  I'm tired of not helping out our QBs enough.  Make this guy really comfortable with a better oline and a nice running game.  We really could have enough draft picks and FA space to attempt to fill the majority of the holes on this team. If we come out with a nice draft this offseason...we could be a team that starts moving up in the AFC.  Have us trending upward while a near future Tom Bradyless New England team will be trending down.  Build the next AFCE division bully.  Don't like trading up and losing those picks.  Wouldn't do it for any of the QBs in this class.  Really want to inject both our lines with draft picks and better talents.  We have enough draft picks to get a QB and draft for both lines and the linebacker position.  I hope they don't trade up.  I think they will miss out on an opportunity to reset this roster at multiple positions with youth and McD type players.  Can't wait to find out though.  Not knowing who our QB will be next year is making me crazy haha

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

The draft value chart is only a guide -- not necessarily written in stone. What really matters is finding a trading partner that is willing to make the trade down -- and what players are on the board at the time. It may be hard to find a team picking early in the top 10 that is willing to move all the way back to the 20s and lose out on a blue chip prospect. Also, when the move is universally known as an attempt to acquire a QB, the value goes up. Just look at what the Chargers gave up to move up one spot for Ryan Leaf (doh!) back in 1998 or what the Giants gave up to move from 4 to 1 in the Eli Manning-Philip Rivers swap. Meanwhile, it cost "just" a future 1st and 4th to move up from 9 to 4 to get Sammy Watkins.

Still, I think it can be done if we can find a team willing to move down in the 1st round. Such a move may actually require making multiple moves, though. That is, a move from the 20s up to around 10, followed by a second trade up to get where we need to be to acquire the QB of choice. Just last year the Chiefs moved up from roughly the same spot by giving us last year's #3 and this year's #1. Most teams view a future #1 as roughly equal to the current year's #2. So a similar move (one of the firsts, one of the seconds and our remaining third) from either our own #1 or the one we acquired from KC could get us to 10 as I suggested. That would still provide us with two firsts to move into the top 5 (maybe as high as 1-2) to select a QB.

Question is: Would the front office be willing to give up both firsts, one of our seconds and our third to acquire the QB? If they believe the kid is a legitimate franchise QB you would have to think so.

They better not

5 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Who says he is a 3-4 Round QB? Draftek has him as second BEST player. Don't care about numbers, only the player Mason Rudolph = Jim Kelly the second. 

Draft Wire has him as the 5th QB. QB evaluations are all over the board and you have to get it right. Of all of the prospects projected to go early he’s the one that I like the least. I also think that he falls as we get closer to the draft. He doesn’t have a skill that differentiates him. He has average everything. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I hate trading up for the 3rd choice at QB. Unless 6th pick is on the clock and Rosen is there.

Wishful thinking but I agree

13 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

For a frame of reference, in 2016 the Eagles moved up from 8 to 2 (to take Wentz) by making the following trade with Cleveland:

Philly gave up:

#8 overall [2016]

3rd rounder (#77 overall) [2016]

4th rounder (#100 overall) [2016]

the following year's first round pick [2017]

third round pick in 2018

Cleveland gave up:

#2 pick overall

following year's 4th rounder [2017]

That is a lot of picks to move up for a single player -- but the Bills do have the ammunition (if either Cleveland or the NY Giants are willing to make the move) to hypothetically acquire Rosen/Darnold.

I like the Rams' move a lot better as a model for what we could potentially do.

Rams gave up:
#15 Overall

2nd Round (43)

2nd Round (45)

3rd Round (76)

Next Year's 1st

Next Year's 3rd

Titans gave up:

#1 Overall

4th Round (113)

6th Round (177)

If we did the same that would leave us with:

1st overall Selection

KC's 1st Rounder

2 4ths

2 5ths

1 6th

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

36 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t hate trading up for a QB. I hate trading up for Mason Rudolph. I might be wrong but he’s the guy that I like least of the prospects to go early. 

Would you do the deal for Mayfield or Jackson? I would. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I like the Rams' move a lot better as a model for what we could potentially do.

Rams gave up:
#15 Overall

2nd Round (43)

2nd Round (45)

3rd Round (76)

Next Year's 1st

Next Year's 3rd

Titans gave up:

#1 Overall

4th Round (113)

6th Round (177)

If we did the same that would leave us with:

1st overall Selection

KC's 1st Rounder

2 4ths

2 5ths

1 6th

That draft would look something like this to me:

- Josh Rosen QB

- Roaquon Smith LB

- Braden Smith G

- Martez Carter RB

- Marcus Davenport DE

- Hunter Renfrow WR

- Kevin Toliver CB

This would mean that the Bills signed Star Lotulelei too. This team would be improved IMO.

I bet Rosen and Darnold stay in school. Someone will overdraft Jackson and Baker Mayfield will probably go 9th - 19th.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That draft would look something like this to me:

- Josh Rosen QB

- Roaquon Smith LB

- Braden Smith G

- Martez Carter RB

- Marcus Davenport DE

- Hunter Renfrow WR

- Kevin Toliver CB

This would mean that the Bills signed Star Lotulelei too. This team would be improved IMO.

Because we traded for Kelvin Benjamin Panthers have cap space in 2018 and will probably keep Star Lotulelei.

3 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

I bet Rosen and Darnold stay in school. Someone will overdraft Jackson and Baker Mayfield will probably go 9th - 19th.

Because we traded for Kelvin Benjamin Panthers have cap space in 2018 and will probably keep Star Lotulelei.

Didn’t they just pay Kawaan Short like $80M?? I don’t see them tying up $150M In defensive tackles. It was likely one or the other. 

QB Baker Mayfield (Okla.) is the guy the Bills should be targeting. 

I think the Bills will end up with the following 2018 draft picks:

R1 (18 - Chiefs)

R1 (19 - Bills)

R2

R2 (Rams)

R3

R4

R5

R5

R5 (Jax).

I expect obtaining a high quality QB to be the highest priority. 

The Bills could add a vet FA QB, trade for a QB, draft a QB or both acquire a vet QB and draft a QB.

I don't think the Bills will keep T. Taylor at $16M, which what he will be due next year.  That would leave the cupboard pretty bare at QB for 2018.

As a result, I see the Bills acquiring a high profile vet QB (possibly A. Smith, K. Cousins) AND draft a QB in R1 or R2.

Once the QB situation has been addressed I see the Bills wheeling and dealing on draft day just like they did this past year.

• Like (+1) 1