NFL TV Partners Set To Lose Up To $500 Million On Ratings Decline

CodeMonkey

6 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

It's like a baseball game.   Who actually watches the game?

You just hang out, soak up some sun, enjoy a hot dog and a few beers with your buddies.     What is happening in the game and its overall outcome is an after thought.

I watch the game.

Just now, Gordio said:

I could only speak for myself but I have loss interest in the NFL partly due to every year New England seems all but unbeatable.  I am tired of seeing Tom Brady, tired of seeing Belicheat.  Just tired of it.  Their dynasty has crossed the line a long time ago of being ridiculous.  No QB that was drafted as a 6th round pick in 1999 should be still dominating the league.  It borderlines on insanity if you think about it & questions come into my mind whether the games are actually fixed(or at least the NE games.)  This isn't college basketball in the 1970's when UCLA was dominating, no team with the way the NFL is setup should have a run of dominance going on three decades. 

It's not their fault if other teams can't get their crap together and it would be nice if opponents would stop gifting them Super Bowls with dumb decisions as the Seahawks and Falcons both did. 

21 minutes ago, xsoldier54 said:

Can't say I agree that the protests have had little effect on viewership.  I have a handful of friends who are die hard Bills fans.  They are also veterans and have stopped watching and going to games as long as the players continue to kneel for the anthem.  Two are even season ticket holders, but won't go or watch. This is just in my small circle of friends and there are about 5 guys I know who have done this.  If this is just my little circle, I can't even imagine how many others have chosen to do the same things.   

I agree. It's just anecdotal evidence to be sure, but I've had similar experiences. I have many friends and even family members who would always watch games, especially the Bills. They haven't watched since things boiled over with Trump etc, and say they won't. One uses his new Bills gear to clean his car, and many of them who I used to discuss football with will no longer even talk about football. They say they won't go back until the NFL and players apologize. I feel that whomever is doing such polls is undersampling those who oppose the protests. Perhaps oversampling under 30 types who are less likely to care, many of whom don't watch games on a standard issue TV anyway. They clearly are trying to downplay the impact of the protests due to political leanings. I feel it's had a big impact. I've kept watching because I love the game. But many haven't and I don't know many who care one iota about CTE or whatever. They feel the players know the risk and are well compensated. Folks are often unaware of Joe Mixon situations. Many just are casual fans that watch games and don't rabidly follow NFL news. Everyone was aware of the protests, and the league has tried major damage control with ad spots featuring players talking about military folks blah blah blah. As opposed to doing the right thing and protecting their business by keeping players inside during the anthem etc. I think something will change regarding the anthem, but quietly . It's having an effect imo, a larger one than the league wants to admit. 

1 minute ago, Gordio said:

I could only speak for myself but I have loss interest in the NFL partly due to every year New England seems all but unbeatable.  I am tired of seeing Tom Brady, tired of seeing Belicheat.  Just tired of it.  Their dynasty has crossed the line a long time ago of being ridiculous.  No QB that was drafted as a 6th round pick in 1999 should be still dominating the league.  It borderlines on insanity if you think about it & questions come into my mind whether the games are actually fixed(or at least the NE games.)  This isn't college basketball in the 1970's when UCLA was dominating, no team with the way the NFL is setup should have a run of dominance going on three decades. 

Last year's Superbowl was the least emotion I have felt in a Superbowl in forever.

Saw the result coming.   Actually chuckled at it and walked away from the television.    Numb to it.

Seeing them winning the division yet again and quite possibly walking into the playoffs with home field advantage - makes me not even want to watch Afc playoff games.   Just don't care unless I was confident the Patriots are going to get beat.

Just now, CodeMonkey said:

That's where I am as well.  I watch nothing but the Bills games anymore.  10 years ago I would watch games all day.

Kind of the same, here.  When the Bills are on, I'm watching/focusing on the entire game.  Other games, including prime time, I always have on - but I'm lucky if I actually watch 3 total quarters of football.

In my younger days, I watched whatever game was on from beginning to end.  That probably stopped, for me, about a decade ago, too.  Part of that is being a dad and my son getting older.  He doesn't watch football.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PolishDave said:

Now I know who you are.   You're that one guy who is chomping handfulls of popcorn with his eyes glued to the pitcher.  :D

LOL, no popcorn for me, man.  I'm cheap.  But yeah ... when I go to a game, I watch 95% of it.  The other 5% is grabbing a bite to eat.

10 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

All fans are saying the protests are effecting the game. Cant miss it in comments or even articles. Yet people think it's a small issue.

I'd bet it is helping accelerate the decline of this crap product. I watch a whole lot less football now because it's terrible and the players are as dumb as ever 

Most people don't think it's a small issue. The folks who say that have an agenda, such as Mike Schopp who always minimizes it. Also news outlets ( USA Today, for one) emphasize that the anthem protests have had a " minimal" impact any time they bring up the declining ratings. It's so politicized that fans only get spin from media outlets , when their personal experiences say otherwise. Folks have complained about officiating forever, it's almost part of the sport. We expect poor officiating. Cord cutting? most games are on network TV, a simple antenna that all cord cutters have is all that's needed. Many don't want the protests to be an issue , but it is. 

24 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Example, the review of the Zay Jones TD this past sunday.

What are they looking at? Knee and elbow both down in the endzone, clear catch and control.

But stop the game (and the woohoo! TD vibe) to confirm what we can all see at home, clear as day.  

Small example, but a good one to illustrate why the NFL product sucks. No flow, dragged out games, poor officiating.

Good example. Same thing happened on the Burkhead touchdown in NE. Taking an extended review on something that is obvious is worse than a prolonged replay of a questionable call.

1 hour ago, yungmack said:

I read most of the comments following the article and about 95% hit the protests as the reason for the ratings decline. Yet according to polling done among the general population, it is only one factor, and not a major one, as the article states. In fact, ratings have been in decline long before Kaepernick taking a knee. 

So how to explain the large number of anti-player protest comments at this particular website? So many of them went off into a litany of racial caricatures that it seems the protests just serve as an excuse to spew out long held negative opinions about black people, Democrats, MSM, "elites," etc. that it seems to me the website must for some reason appeal to these sorts. Anybody know anything about it?

Funny thing about the comments is they overlook the vastly greater ratings and attendance decline that's hit NASCAR the last few years. And there is no "sport" in this country whose fan base is more white, more support-the-troops faux patriotic, more right wing than NASCAR.

When it's the NFL in decline, the cause is ignorant, uppity, ungrateful, entitled black men. When it's lily white NASCAR, we get crickets. 

A few ppl in my family stopped watching due to the protests and the celebrations. If I watch NFL football, which is rare, it is with the DVR and I blast past all the anthem protests, celebrations and commercial BS.  I just FF from the end of one play to the start of the next.

11 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

its a thing everywhere, but don't think that is affecting TV ratings. Look at the Club level in any NFL stadium, seats in clubs seem like never more than half full. So many club seats used as corporate entertainment, and plenty of the folks using the tickets not even there for the "game", there for the event.

you're probably 100%.  if i'm not mistaken, the clubs don't even count towards sell outs.

23 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The article referred to NBC, CBS, FOX, and ESPN.  No mention of DirecTV.

Didnt read the article either. It’s easy to form opinions without informing yourself. Just look at the current state of politics. 

19 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Last year's Superbowl was the least emotion I have felt in a Superbowl in forever.

Saw the result coming.   Actually chuckled at it and walked away from the television.    Numb to it.

Seeing them winning the division yet again and quite possibly walking into the playoffs with home field advantage - makes me not even want to watch Afc playoff games.   Just don't care unless I was confident the Patriots are going to get beat.

Honestly, I didn't even watch the Super Bowl. Didn't care even a little bit about either team. I watch the Bills live, everything else I wait for condensed film.

7 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

IMHO, iT Was the protests that gave people on the fence a reason to abandon ship. poor officiating and over-saturation were the catalysts. 

I believe you are right. Ratings (vertical/growth ratings) have been in decline long before the protest, which those who insist the decline is due to the protests conveniently overlook. But they also conveniently overlook that Kaepernick's protest had zero to do with the military and everything to do with the killing of black men, and the eruption of protests this year was specifically in reaction to Trump's bizarre attacks on players and their mothers. The protest was essentially dead and over with until The Donald brought it back to life.

31 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's not their fault if other teams can't get their crap together and it would be nice if opponents would stop gifting them Super Bowls with dumb decisions as the Seahawks and Falcons both did. 

Can't disagree with this. The whole situation has killed some of my passion for the game. Many fans don't care that it isn't their fault however. It's still boring and most Patriots players are unlikeable , so is the coach. I'd bet their " Q score" would be pretty low, as opposed to say Peyton Manning. It'll end soon hopefully. Personally I won't watch another SB involving the Pats after last years debacle. It went from something I'd save on my DVR for years like I did with the NYG wins over NE, to instant delete.