Tyler Dunne: "Dennison Stays and Tyrod Goes"

BuffaloRush

I know we all despise Rick Dennison's offense and are hoping that McDermott pulls the trigger to upgrade the OC position, especially considering the candidates who might be available (Hugh Jackson, Ben McAdoo, Dirk Koetter, Mike McCoy, Bruce Arians etc).  But I was listening To "The Extra Point Show" with Sal Capaccio on WGR and he had Tyler Dunne from The Bleacher Report - formerly Buffalo News Sports (when it was free to read).  

I sure hope he is wrong but he believes the decision to bench Tyrod essentially guarantees Dennison's security.  He believes that Tyrod is not a QB that can run his offense, so his theory is that the Bills are going to keep Dennison around and find a new QB for him.  I really don't think his logic makes sense.

You have to consider that Dennison was McDermott's 3rd choice as OC (behind McCoy and Childress) and he doesn't have a longstanding relationship to McDermott like other coaches do on his staff.  McDermott is also not stupid - he can't be blind to the fact that the offense as a whole has been ineffective.  Plus, if Dennison was the one behind starting Peterman, as speculated by many, then it doesn't say much about his judgement.  Like it or not, if the Bills do take a QB in the draft the success of that position essentially could determine the fate of McDermott and Beane in 4 years.  Do you really want your fate in the hands of Rick Dennison?  

You make a lot of tough calls in regarding to hiring your staff in the NFL.  I am hoping McDermott and Beane are smart enough to see better options available.  For what it's worth, audio can be found below.  The Dennison talk is at the 20 minute mark:

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/11-27-tyler-dunne-bleacher-report-sal-capaccio

<script data-cx-item-id="121186945" data-cx-widget="10321" data-cx-api-key="4qtw7wGvXs6KB0n4GjDPMRQjMjNBkyIw" src="//embed.widget.cx/amd.js"></script>

Edited by BuffaloRush

Tyler who?

And so by exposing the woeful inadequacy of Peterman at this point in his career, Dennison actually guaranteed his ob security? 

And what is "Dennison's offense"?  

Kubiak's retirement has exposed Dennison as a dufus.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Tyler who?

And so by exposing the woeful inadequacy of Peterman at this point in his career, Dennison actually guaranteed his ob security? 

Good young reporter - used to be the beat reporter for The Buffalo New (back when it was free).  He follows the entire NFL now, so let's hope he's off on his prediction

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

Good young reporter - used to be the beat reporter for The Buffalo New (back when it was free).  He follows the entire NFL now, so let's hope he's off on his prediction

If he really said what the OP claims, then....no.  

Dennison is terrible and has done a really poor job. Anyone that thinks differently isn’t paying attention. This offense has been a shell of what it was over the last 2 years with largely the same personnel. The receivers are different but of a similar quality. You can’t for a second convince me that he’s good but everyone else regressed. Rico was Kubiak’s Dennis Thurman. There is no reason that he deserves the opportunity to work with the young QB next year. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, kota said:

Dennison isn't the problem.  It's Tyrod plain and simple.  I realize that Peterman threw 5 INT's.  That sucks.  Alot of it had to do with him being a rookie and terrible blocking up front for him.  

Same blocking TT gets.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Yeah, he actually said that.  Makes no sense.  Benching Taylor when Pterson was so far from being whatever it is Dennison is good at coaching was a dumb mistake.

Again, what is it Dennison is really good at?

37 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I sure hope he is wrong but he believes the decision to bench Tyrod essentially guarantees Dennison's security.  He believes that Tyrod is not a QB that can run his offense, so his theory is that the Bills are going to keep Dennison around and find a new QB for him.  I really don't think his logic makes sense.

I can't agree with this flawed conclusion, and you're right, the logic does not make sense.  Starting Peterman against SD was Dennison's idea because he probably thought Peterman could execute his antiquated offense better than Tyrod.  And who ended up looking stupid for this?  McDermott.  If I'm McDermott, I'd be looking over Dennison's shoulder during preparations for NE and wouldn't trust him going forward.

8 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Do the opposite.

Fire Dennison.

Hire McCoy.

Keep Hotrod. 

McCoy was able to design offense just for Tebow's strengths and it got them a playoff win. I'm thinking he could do the same for Hotrod.

McCoy is not someone you want as your OC. 

56 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Tyler who?

Hack.

The chances that the HC, who has already went back on his QB decision in year 1, would then also fire the OC after one season is a stretch. 

Dennison runs the scheme that McDermott wants. Coordinators, even the one on the HC's side of the ball, aren't doing the big picture (i.e scheme) thing on their own. 

This reminds me a little of when Steve Fairchild was OC for DJ in 06-07. Everyone clamored for Fairchild to dial up more long passes and it didn't really happen. It was a lot of run-run-pass type stuff we see from this coaching staff. And, much of this was DJ's desire to have a ball control offense paired with that Cover 2 defense. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

McCoy is not someone you want as your OC. 

I don't know. In Denver they were going nowhere with Kyle Orton. They promoted Tebow. OC McCoy put in an offense taking advantage of Tim's unique skill set. They won a playoff game.  I think it would be fun to see what he can do for Hotrod.

But then again after the first 3 games this year  his offense stunk. Of course he had Simien, Oswieler, and Lynch for about a 1/2 and rookie HC.

Mixed results.

Edited by reddogblitz

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

I know we all despise Rick Dennison's offense and are hoping that McDermott pulls the trigger to upgrade the OC position, especially considering the candidates who might be available (Hugh Jackson, Ben McAdoo, Dirk Koetter, Mike McCoy, Bruce Arians etc).  But I was listening To "The Extra Point Show" with Sal Capaccio on WGR and he had Tyler Dunne from The Bleacher Report - formerly Buffalo News Sports (when it was free to read).  

You have to consider that Dennison was McDermott's 3rd choice as OC (behind McCoy and Childress) and he doesn't have a longstanding relationship to McDermott like other coaches do on his staff.  McDermott is also not stupid - he can't be blind to the fact that the offense as a whole has been ineffective.  Plus, if Dennison was the one behind starting Peterman, as speculated by many, then it doesn't say much about his judgement.  Like it or not, if the Bills do take a QB in the draft the success of that position essentially could determine the fate of McDermott and Beane in 4 years.  Do you really want your fate in the hands of Rick Dennison?  

You make a lot of tough calls in regarding to hiring your staff in the NFL.  I am hoping McDermott and Beane are smart enough to see better options available.  For what it's worth, audio can be found below.  The Dennison talk is at the 20 minute mark:

http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/11-27-tyler-dunne-bleacher-report-sal-capaccio

<script data-cx-item-id="121186945" data-cx-widget="10321" data-cx-api-key="4qtw7wGvXs6KB0n4GjDPMRQjMjNBkyIw" src="//embed.widget.cx/amd.js"></script>

What is that script you tried to embed?

3 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The chances that the HC, who has already went back on his QB decision in year 1, would then also fire the OC after one season is a stretch. 

Dennison runs the scheme that McDermott wants. Coordinators, even the one on the HC's side of the ball, aren't doing the big picture (i.e scheme) thing on their own. 

This reminds me a little of when Steve Fairchild was OC for DJ in 06-07. Everyone clamored for Fairchild to dial up more long passes and it didn't really happen. It was a lot of run-run-pass type stuff we see from this coaching staff. And, much of this was DJ's desire to have a ball control offense paired with that Cover 2 defense. 

Ugh very good point.  Dennison is terrible and I can't see his offense succeeding in 2017 

1 minute ago, SDS said:

What is that script you tried to embed?

Tried to embed the audio player from the site.  Didn't work