Tyler Dunne: "Dennison Stays and Tyrod Goes"

BuffaloRush

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Is Miller that bad? Last year I thought he was coming around. It seems as if the OL coach made an immediate determination that he wasn't a good fit for or a good enough player. Sometimes I believe that the OL coach is just as important as the OC coach. If the OL coach is too rigid and doesn't adequately adjust to his talent he can screw up the whole offense. Coaching matters. 

Yeah, I don’t get the Miller thing either. They just seemed so determined to play Vlad that Miller was the odd man out.

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Good point... I have no idea why they gave Wood the money they did. 

It was a McD ego thing in a different way. He thought that Eric Wood epitomized the player they want to be here. Hard worker. Great guy. Community oriented. Boy scout. Over-achiever. They were going to build a team around guys like this and show others if you act like this we will reward you.

He thinks he can win it all with boy scouts. That remains to be seen.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He hasn’t changed. He’s basically the same guy that led those offenses. You are arguing my point for me. Dennison's offense is the difference.

It's not making TT play any worse, either.  Dennison screwed up the run game.  Not our fearless leader.  He just doesn't have Shady ripping off huge chunks anymore to hide him.

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

It's not making TT play any worse, either.  Dennison screwed up the run game.  Not our fearless leader.  He just doesn't have Shady ripping off huge chunks anymore to hide him.

So you agree that the biggest difference in the offense is the coach? The reason that the offense has regressed is the coach? We are in agreement then. I’ve mentioned it a few times but it is the principle of Ockham’s Razor. 

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He hasn’t changed. He’s basically the same guy that led those offenses. You are arguing my point for me. Dennison's offense is the difference.

The fact he is doing the same, with less, and no running game, and no deep threat, and lousy playcalling, is actually doing a lot more. ;)

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Rex hand picked Tyrod and was the reason the team signed Richie. Rex envisioned the "ground and pound" approach and hired Roman and Lynn to run it.

So if you are a big Tyrod fan you should give Rex credit. If you loved the running game you should give Rex credit.

Can't have it both ways. The head coach is responsible for the entire program.

If Rex had been known for offense he would still be here now.

I give Rex 100% credit from turning us into a bottom 3rd offense to one in the top 10 in scoring.

Unfortunately I also have to give him credit for turning a top 5 defense into a bottom 3rd Defense.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The fact he is doing the same, with less, and no running game, and no deep threat, and lousy playcalling, is actually doing a lot more. ;)

In games where our D showed up we are 6-2. If you know who catches you know what it's 7-1. 

In games our D DIDN'T show up we're 0-3.

What is wrong with this picture? FIX the freakin' DEFENSE!

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Glenn has been banged up and they got a little older too. Going from Kromer to Castillo is like going from Brady to EJ. The OL has certainly been worse but the same guys are here (plus Dawkins). It is the coaching.

True but that includes the decision to hire a proven bad oline coach (not Dennison's decision) and subsequently the decision to put said bad oline coach's pet project in at RG.  I think there is a difference between saying "it's the coaching" and "it's Dennison".  McDermott knew what scheme Dennison was going to run when he hired him.  If the criticism is that Dennison hasn't stuck to the Roman scheme, well duh.... he was never going to.  If McDermott wanted the Roman scheme you know who he should have hired? Greg Roman.  

Dennison has some blame here.... but McDermott is not detached from the failures of this offense.  Some of it is his doing.  Now he might, as some have suggested, be willing to sink on offense this year to establish a style of playing going forward.  But if it is true his first two choices for OC were Mike McCoy, then Brad Childress and thirdly Rick Dennison that doesn't scream to me he has a certain style of O that he is ideologically drawn to.  

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/28/2017 at 4:50 PM, reddogblitz said:

Kirk is going to let god decide where he plays next year.

Sort of like a Ouija board that can be proven influenced by the perceptions of the users?

I have devout Christian relatives and great respect for them, but from my observation Prayer usually tells them to do what judgement and insight indicate as the right thing.

On 11/28/2017 at 8:23 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

On that note, why hasn’t Groy gotten a chance? You can’t convince me that Vlad is better. 

And you can't show anyone that wood is worth keeping at that money.

I'm hedging my bets that groy starts at center in 2018. It's a Billsy move but he's not worth the money.

On 11/29/2017 at 5:18 AM, GunnerBill said:

True but that includes the decision to hire a proven bad oline coach (not Dennison's decision) and subsequently the decision to put said bad oline coach's pet project in at RG.  I think there is a difference between saying "it's the coaching" and "it's Dennison".  McDermott knew what scheme Dennison was going to run when he hired him.  If the criticism is that Dennison hasn't stuck to the Roman scheme, well duh.... he was never going to.  If McDermott wanted the Roman scheme you know who he should have hired? Greg Roman.  

Dennison has some blame here.... but McDermott is not detached from the failures of this offense.  Some of it is his doing.  Now he might, as some have suggested, be willing to sink on offense this year to establish a style of playing going forward.  But if it is true his first two choices for OC were Mike McCoy, then Brad Childress and thirdly Rick Dennison that doesn't scream to me he has a certain style of O that he is ideologically drawn to.  

I agree with McDermott's responsibility.

Dennison has cooked on some genius offenses, including offenses that relied on stout running and average-ish QB play and "got it done".  The unknown question always was, how much of that was Kubiak cooking with Dennison as sous-chef, and how much was Dennison's mind?  How well would Dennison cook when promoted to run his own kitchen?  The answer seems to be, on the evidence, "not very well".   Scheme, schmeme, but there doesn't seem to be skilled logic in the play calling or creativity to obtain mismatches on enough of the pass plays.  A decent D can easily smother us. 

Now the question for McCoach is, what's he gonna do about it?  Will he be loyal to his buddy and blame the players, or will he look for an upgrade?  I'm gonna guess "loyal/blame players", not to be confused with "that's what I think he should do".

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

On 11/28/2017 at 9:51 PM, ScottLaw said:

Guy makes plays. He's not great, I wouldn't even say good... he's solid. 

He makes plays while given little opportunity to do so. 

The chiefs game was EXACLTY like the Atlanta game. They got a lead and sat on it while running the ball to set up the punt. And the response here is "Tyrod still sucks!!!" 

I dont know what people are watching.

He's a game manager. Which can be fine if you have a dominant defense but if not then you don't stand a chance.

On 11/28/2017 at 9:56 PM, reddogblitz said:

In games where our D showed up we are 6-2. If you know who catches you know what it's 7-1. 

In games our D DIDN'T show up we're 0-3.

What is wrong with this picture? FIX the freakin' DEFENSE!

Fixing a defense takes years. Fixing a quarterback could take just one year. Obviously the chances are slim but you can't if you don't try.