THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Back on Track

Shaw66

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Shaw

I'm with the majority here. I can't recall a 'big' road win that I was LESS excited about. This felt like one of those meaningless week seventeen wins that only served to screw up the next year's draft.

Except i think it helps us because the chiefs picks are now going to be higher picks. I think they go into a tailspin now. 

1 minute ago, Jasovon said:

Except i think it helps us because the chiefs picks are now going to be higher picks. I think they go into a tailspin now. 

You're right but I'm pretty sure that didn't enter either teams thinking yesterday. Instead it felt like a preseason game setting up the inevitable beat down that awaits on Sunday.

12 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Bills razzle-dazzle.   Once, the Bills faked to McCoy going right, then faked the flanker reverse, leaving Taylor with the ball ten yards behind the line of scrimmage with no pass rushers in sight.   What’s the play?  Throw it BEHIND THE LINE, five yards behind the line.   Think about it – they actually designed a play hoping defenders would bite on the fake to McCoy and then threw to him, surrounded by all the defenders who bit.   The defense clearly reacted to the fake to McCoy and probably also to the flanker reverse.  The whole point of a play like that is to throw the ball downfield.   Not the Bills.  Their idea of a big play is a screen pass. 

Is this the play you mean? I think so because I doubt they ran a play like that more than once!

It looks to me like something went wrong on this play.  I can't see downfield because the all 22 isn't up yet. But there were only 2 receivers probably nobody open.

Mainly I am keying in on Richie and Wood there at the blue arrows. They let their men go and then headed downfield to block, ...for nobody. Shady is running the other way.

Red circle guy was the 2nd decoy and I think he was supposed to get the defense turned that way, and then McCoy was supposed to run behind the seal there at the blue line and he would have had Richie and Wood in front of him.

But Shady ran the other way for some reason, something he saw, and as you can see his bast case is probably to get to the LOS. BUt he didn;t even make it because Dawkins lost his man who grabbed Shadys jersey and we lost yards.

It seems like it maybe had some chance of working, whatever it was they were up to. 

ZOICUik.jpg

Yeah Shaw I agree on the offense. 

Jeremy White and you phrase it the same way - you have to wonder what (or why) the Bills intentions are on any given play. When its 3rd and 8, why are you throwing 2 yard dump offs, and not looking for Matthews and Jones on deeper routes. Their plan is to give up or at best, dump it off and bank on their man breaking multiple tackles to get a first down.

They did this against the Saints, opening up with sideways throws to McCoy, that have no chance of gaining any yardage due to the poor blocking around the edges. While on that topic, I can mention again, the 3rd down where the Bills thought a sweep was going to work. They lost 3, 4 yards. Worse yet, the Bills try and sweep with Mike Tolbert at times, and that has lost yardage literally every time they have called it. 

They got by yesterday with great defense that forced the Chiefs to punt 8 times. 

That was Dick Jauron coaxed wins out of the 2006, 2007, 2008 Buffalo Bills. Punting, kicking field goals, and making one timely turnover. 

At to your big question - I think this is who McDermott is. I don't think there is a "higher gear" of offensive thinking to where if we had say Carson Wentz, that he would believe in airing it out more than running. He was asked point blank, and he said run the ball because its Buffalo. Keeping things in 3rd and manageable. Our wins have been quintessential Bills Dorught Wins, 17-14 type games, defense and running. 

One more thing and I will stop. Lawson is not playing well in this game. He appears to be quite slow. 

I can sum it up in one picture. This is a sweep on 2nd and 5 and it went for 10 or 15 yards I forget but it went a good long ways.

Lawson is the blue and white arrow.

The pulling linemen just ignored him. They ran right by him and so did the running back.

They ignored him like he wasn't even there and they were right to do so.

tHCmuum.jpg

Bad Lands - 

Lawson looked slow on draft night when Mayock talked about him and showed clips of him getting stonewalled I believe by the LT for FSU. 

In some of his Scouting Reports, he was compared to Courtney Upshaw and that was confirmed by his so-so Combine. 

Most of his Scouting Reports had him as a 5-8 sack a year guy due to athletic limitations. So far he is exactly what the Scouting Reports said he was. 

7 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

One more thing and I will stop. Lawson is not playing well in this game. He appears to be quite slow. 

I can sum it up in one picture. This is a sweep on 2nd and 5 and it went for 10 or 15 yards I forget but it went a good long ways.

Lawson is the blue and white arrow.

The pulling linemen just ignored him. They ran right by him and so did the running back.

They ignored him like he wasn't even there and they were right to do so.

tHCmuum.jpg

He is slowest off the snap. I would ceiling Chris Kelsay type player honestly. Not as good as first round pick sadly...

Sort of a joke, but I get the feeling Tyrod holds all the cards. Would love to see him audible his own offense (you don't think he wants to get that 3rd and 2 himself after missing that YAC to O'Leary?).

But by all accounts Tyrod is the immaculate professional, as such he will follow Dennison to the ends of the Earth until they are both booted.

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Bad Lands - 

Lawson looked slow on draft night when Mayock talked about him and showed clips of him getting stonewalled I believe by the LT for FSU. 

In some of his Scouting Reports, he was compared to Courtney Upshaw and that was confirmed by his so-so Combine. 

Most of his Scouting Reports had him as a 5-8 sack a year guy due to athletic limitations. So far he is exactly what the Scouting Reports said he was. 

Ok thanks. It was sobering for me to see how he is out there. I didn't want to mention it but at the end of that play he wound up trying to tackle a Bill because things move so fast for him, the Bill was where the runner used to be.

They will move on from him eventually I suppose, and when they do, the press will say it is because he wasn't their pick I bet.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Ok thanks. It was sobering for me to see how he is out there. I didn't want to mention it but at the end of that play he wound up trying to tackle a Bill because things move so fast for him, the Bill was where the runner used to be.

They will move on from him eventually I suppose, and when they do, the press will say it is because he wasn't their pick I bet.

People might get angry for this id trade him in off season. I think there are better players out there.

• Like (+1) 1

I didnt mind the 3rd and 6 run play call, especially with the backup RB in...it was unexpected. 

Dennison is ALWAYS doing the expected this season, so it was nice to see him try to dictate to the offense and catch them off guard instead of vice versa.

The play did not gain 6 yards, but thats not to say it couldn't have. 

15 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Against the pass, the Bills didn’t break down.  The pass rush certainly wasn’t devastating, but it often created pressure an Smith and got to him occasionally.   More importantly, the defensive front generally contained Smith, making it tough for Smith to hurt the Bills with his legs.  He had some nice runs, generally off scrambles, but as Bills fans know, when your QB running is your best offensive weapon, your offense is in trouble.  Smith WAS their best weapon, and he didn’t have enough to win the game. 

On the opposite side of the ball, the Bills’ offense is maddening.  It is hopelessly conservative.   Maybe McDermott has no confidence in Taylor, which would be consistent with the Peterman debacle.  Maybe he has no confidence in his offense generally.  Maybe it’s just that his philosophy is that defense is more important, and he believes that in crunch time you put the game in the hands of your defense. 

A few maddening sequences:  Second possession of the game.  McCoy for minus 1, pass to Zay for 5, Cadet runs for 4.  Punt.  Really?  Who runs on 3rd and 6?   Well, it does happen once in a while, but it’s almost predictable with the Bills.

Bills razzle-dazzle.   Once, the Bills faked to McCoy going right, then faked the flanker reverse, leaving Taylor with the ball ten yards behind the line of scrimmage with no pass rushers in sight.   What’s the play?  Throw it BEHIND THE LINE, five yards behind the line.   Think about it – they actually designed a play hoping defenders would bite on the fake to McCoy and then threw to him, surrounded by all the defenders who bit.   The defense clearly reacted to the fake to McCoy and probably also to the flanker reverse.  The whole point of a play like that is to throw the ball downfield.   Not the Bills.  Their idea of a big play is a screen pass. 

With a lead, the Bills were content to play for field goals.  Up by 6 with 12 minutes left in the game, they were content to run the ball, wind the clock, and punt.   Other than the completion to O’Leary, the wouldn’t throw the ball downfield.   They punted and left it to the defense to win the game.  Did the defense do it, or are the Chiefs helpless on offense?

When the Bills next got the ball, still up 6, everyone knew they’d run twice and then let Taylor run.   Three and out to give the Chiefs ANOTHER chance to win and to ask the defense ONCE AGAIN to win the game. 

Anyone watch the Rams beat the Saints today?   Nursing a 10-point lead against an explosive offense, Goff was throwing the ball all over the field.  Not the Bills.  The hopelessly conservative offense, and consequently the hopelessly predictable offense, runs when it should run and runs when it should pass.  When it passes, it passes to running backs.  

Taylor had another nice game.   Not great, but enough to win.   The Bills put him on the move more than in recent weeks, and as a consequence he wasn’t getting trapped in the pocket.   He threw well, often with nice touch.   He wasn’t as accurate as he should be; the poor throw to O’Leary cost the Bills a critical first down late in the game, and he missed some other throws over the middle.   But as usual, his completion percentage was in the mid-60s, as usual he threw for under 200 yards and as usual, he had no giveaways. 

1.  Milano always seems to make a standout play. 

2.  The Bills linebackers struggle in pass defense.   They held their own Sunday, barely.  To their credit, and the coaches, Kelce didn’t kill them. 

3.  Zay Jones looks to be playing himself into the league.  I like how he looks. 

7.  Shady does some amazing little thing every game.  Or two, or three.   Not necessarily spectacular, but amazing. 

10.   Playoffs?  Through week 12, the Bills are in.   Beat Miami twice and Indianapolis once and they have a chance.  Throw in a win over the Pats and they’re in.  That would mean closing the season 5-1 after three totally embarrassing losses.  Don’t bet the ranch. 

So, are the Bills back, the October Bills?   Or are the Chiefs just that bad?  Tune in when the Pats visit Orchard Park next week.   Ball game or blowout?  

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

Love the review every week - I only removed pieces I'm commenting on here:

Smith may have been their biggest weapon today, but he missed an open Kelce more than just a couple times and in key situations that would've had a lot of us returning to our established beliefs over the last two weeks. I think Kelce was ready to quit after yesterday's game, they kept panning to his reactions. And sure, the play was already decided on some of the plays he claimed to be open, but there were more than a couple key missed opportunities to him on Smith's part.

I don't think relying on our defense was nor should be in our game plan. And I agree with the maddening conservative offense. Though I don't think this has anything to do with McDermott more than him just letting it happen (which is often too much in and of itself) and has everything to do with Rico and our play calling. It's draconian, older school west coast, and he doesn't understand what to do on 3rd down or sequencing of plays - felt like I was watching Greg Olsen's tampa offense and could hear my roommates shouting at the tv over 3rd down draws and screens. It's hard to watch. Whether it's doubt in TT or lack of actual ability in Rico, but something needs to be done. 

We managed to take time off the clock but when we had actual opportunities to end the game on offense we didn't. Bottom line.

The O'Leary throw was everything about TT that gives us fans the frustration we have over his play.

1&2: I want Milano to start. I have nothing but respect for Humber but between his hand injury and lack of speed I don't see him as a starter in the league on any team. This was evident on one play yesterday with a sweep to the defenses right and he just couldn't leg it to the edge. Milano makes plays and helps in coverage against TE's and flat zone runs - give him his day.

3. I'm glad Zay is starting to find his rhythm. I still think he's a great slot option for us in the future if we can keep Benjamin healthy and add to WR depth. He could potentially have a lot of mismatches if he lines up in the slot more. But I'm glad to see his confidence coming around.

7. Shady gives us the chance to win every game. That being said I now feel the weekly remorse of what I saw in my philly friends every week when he'd snap of a huge run and his next five go for negative yards everytime. My issue with shady is I don't think rico can use him effectively and he goes down either due to himself or a pinky. It's why he's still in the shape he is, he doesn't take big hits. But that's why he always has so many negative runs as well. Combined with our OL play this isn't great.

10 They hurt themselves with the last three weeks. Beating the Jets and Chargers would've been great of course, but more so now that their destiny isn't quite in their hands unless they win out. We gave Baltimore and LA the advantage if KC doesn't continue to drop off the face of the earth.

Guess we'll see but GO BILLS!!!

6 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

With how our defense was playing, I had no problem putting them back out there to seal the win, if this was a higher scoring type game, I doubt the play calling is the same like say it was 27-21 and not 16-10

I am with you. It would also be different if we had Tom Brady back there. Just hand it off, get good field position, and let your defense win the game.