THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Back on Track

Shaw66

20 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Once again the defense won the game, while the offense did just enough not to throw it away.  I'm not convinced that Dennison actually knows what he's doing.  He's shown to be extremely stubborn and clueless.  I suspect it was Dennison's idea to start Peterman agains SD and Tyrod was prepared to come in if the wheels fell off the experiment, which they did.  If Dennison play calls not to lose next week, and gets cute with stupid gimmicks, it will be another long and embarrassing loss to NE.

I have to believe that McDermott wants to score on offense, and find it hard to believe that 3 points is an acceptable cushion.  It has been said that he wants to avoid turnovers, which is fine, but you can't coach scared and expect to win consistently.  The offense has to score.  Dennison just does a poor job game planning the opposing defense, and I have to believe McDermott has to see this...right?  This needs to be fixed next week.

On defense, the key to beating Brady is pressure up the middle; the blueprint to beating him is known, though teams inexplicably fail to do this.  Hope Frazier is up to the task, otherwise NE will carve us up for 50 points.

Good writeup.

I agree. Dennison is gone next year. Playoffs or not. 

3 hours ago, Woodman19 said:

No one in particular, just how everyone has expectations of having a premium offensive and defensive unit with a rookie head coach and how he has to make us a Superbowl contender right now otherwise he needs to be fired.  Failure in any area means the coordinators or head coach is responsible because the team talent is obviously top notch.

I don't think there are many people around here who had expectations like that.   There weren't a lot of people who thought when the season bean that the Bills would go to the playoffs.   It's true that expectations rose when they went 5-2 to open the season.

What you heard from me last week, and what you heard from a lot of people, wasn't disappointment from unreasonable expectations.   It was reaction to the fact that the team was completely uncompetitive three weeks running.  That shouldn't happen to any coach, rookie or not.   

5 hours ago, Foxx said:

the two paragraphs seem to be in direct conflict with one another.

is it, not the Bills or is it, not Tyrod?

i can tell you one thing for sure, if we had Goff, we sure as hell wouldn't be checking down all game long.

We might not be. But we might just be getting tons of sacks and interceptions instead with the OL we have.

I think this team seriously overachieved largely because of Taylor. And I realize that's going to get a laugh based on the yards he gets per game because there are those who are just obsessed with yards, but I'm actually going to paraphrase BLM from a thread he had last week regarding his observations from the chargers game: we would be a one or two win team without Taylor. 

It's not reflected in statistics, but I think our OL is one of the worst in the NFL and to top it off we have one of the worst offensive playcallers in the NFL.

Dennison called 26 rushes to RBs yesterday. 16 of them went for no more than 1 yard. 11 of them went for zero or negative yardage. 

That's just insane when you have one of the best RBs in the NFL!

And that's not even counting other stupid handoffs like the one on third and six.

Taylor has faced more third and longs then any other QB in the NFL this year other than Rivers and somehow he ranks 12th in the NFL and third down conversion percentage.

Why so many third and longs? 

Because Denison keeps calling these goddamn predictable plays on first and second down! I don't think he's going to get fired this year, but I hope in the off-season McDermott goes out and gets McCoy, the guy he initially wanted as his OC.

As for Taylor, from the outside it sure looks like there has been irreparable damage done to that relationship. But I also have this sneaky suspicion that public perception is just perception and nothing close to reality.

I think McBean picks up Taylor's option with the plan to either trade him during the draft for a first round pick or keep them next year and and allow him to start while the rookie learns on the bench. His contract is set up to do almost exactly that. Look,allow him to start while the rookie learns on the bench. His contract is set up to do almost exactly that. Look, Taylor is a significantly improved quarterback this year from what he was the last couple years and a lot of ways. You can just see it if you're really being honest and watching him play with his pocket presence and his passing over the middle (talking deep and intermediate :lol:) and his third-down conversions, etc.

With all of that said, this victory was nice, but it was definitely deflated a little bit by a combination of the previous three games and the upcoming  Game against the patriots. And it was made even worse by the fact that our coaches were just coaching scared by the end of the game. Really irritating. Whatever small chance we have of beating the patriots is going to be completely negated if McDermott and Dennison keep coaching like this.

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Goff would be getting killed if he were on the Bills.

Yuuuuuuppp!!! 

5 hours ago, Foxx said:

he would know how to step up in the pocket to buy himself more time. whereby making his o-line look better.

Step up to do what? Get destroyed by another guy running straight at him?

Goff is largely the product of a brilliant offensive mind combined with a ton of offensive talent right now.

He would likely be terrible on the Bills!