Why Taylor can't be the QB longterm---perfect example today

Big Turk

4 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

How many offenses are stacked with elite talent?

Taylor had Shady McCoy, Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Chris Hogan, Charles Clay and one of the best OLines in the NFL from 2015-2016.

That's better than most QB's have in their entire careers.

My only point is that he works with what he has and that has been almost good enough for a sniff of the playoffs. A few games roll his way past two years and boom now he's everyones hero. 

I'm open minded to criticism of him but just wish people could see he's keeping it interesting with so many things to factor in.

Edited by Lfod

2 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

You're off by 7 TD's there, chief.

The OL was really good in pass pro today.  And it's almost the exact same OL as it was in 2015. 

No, I'm not - "chief".

During the past two seasons Taylor had both Watkins and Woods playing for fifteen games, and the result was exactly as I said.

Try a little research, maybe?

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Like Alex Smith? No one will argue that Tyrod is Brady, but Tyrod is on par with half the QBs in the NFL. Do you think we are the only ones who think they need an upgrade at QB? Great. Now go find the next Brady.

Some of the others... todays opponents included.. are at least trying to find theirs though.  I don't think many object to rolling with Tyrod in the interim.... but it is the lack of a shot on guy that could have been the answer in the draft that irritates people. 

1 minute ago, BobChalmers said:

FIXED

Tyrod is low-mediocre - this play was only one of many many examples.

Taylor will be gone next year, they will draft a QB in the first, and that kid will backup Peterman to start 2018.

you didn't fix anything. keep chasing Pickman though.

39 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Look...we won and that is great...but we made it way harder than it needed to be.  

Taylor had a chance to pretty much bury the Chiefs on a simple play and he didn't take it.  O'Leary wide open in the middle of the field with literally nobody within 20 yards of him...not exaggerating. Taylor has an absolutely clean pocket, nobody near him, nobody in his face...all Taylor has to do is make an easy throw, give O'Leary the chance to run after the catch and instead he throws the ball at his feet where he has to dive and make a catch, nullifying his ability to gain more yards.  Instead of a first down + inside the 20, we have a 3rd and 2 at the 42 oe 43 yard line...3rd down and we lose yards, then punt. 

So instead of running a bunch of more time off the clock, kicking an easy FG or even possibly getting a TD, to go up 2 scores we punt it back to them up 6.  

I know I know...you are like "Whats the big deal? Taylor completed the pass, set up a short 3rd down and we won!"  Yes, we did, but there are times every game when you have the chance to put a team away and Taylor consistently doesn't take advantage of it.  Yes, other QB's put the ball there at times, but not on that route and not with nobody in their face.  You just have to make a better throw...its what seperates consistently good QBs from QBs like Taylor... when you have a chance to get a first down and another 20+ yards ESPECIALLY at the point of the game it happened, you don't want to be settling for a 3rd and short.

Details like this is what win and lose you games many times in the NFL. You don't get very many easy plays like that in the NFL and when you do you HAVE to capitalize on them. Details are not Taylor's strong suit.  He does a lot of big things right...he doesn't turn the ball over...he gets out of trouble a lot...he completes passes...but he doesn't do well on ball placement a lot of times...there are too many times receivers have to stop running or are stopped when he throws the ball to them, or dive to the ground to make catches when they shouldn't have.

I understand if you are wondering what the big deal is, but people who know football on a more than rudimentary level can appreciate what I am saying....Taylor can't be the franchise QB because he doesn't do the little things right often enough...he misses too many plays that should be easy and our drives stall out many times because of it...wonder why we tend to go 3 and out a lot with him?  That's why. Details.

Taylor is gone after this season, it was a nice read but you wasted your time. 

Just now, jmc12290 said:

Disagree.  Lower third.

And yes, Alex Smith is a better QB, but had a way worse day.

We will try to draft a franchise QB.  Hopefully the next Brady, but I'll take top 12.

Okay. I bet Chiefs fans would agree with you right now.

I'm not shocked by todays win, in fact I saw it coming and predicted it this morning.

But at the end of the day Taylor is the same guy he's always been...makes a few great plays and can keep a drive alive with this legs, but is wildly inconsistent in most cases including very inaccurate throws that prevent a WR from making YAC or barely catching the ball because of where it's thrown (see the Oleary play for perfect example, a good throw there and obviously that's a 1st down and lot more which the announcers hammered home as well).

I think on a team with a truly great defense Taylor certainly can be a playoff QB but this is the 2nd head coach that has tried that model and ultimately has (and will) fail. And let's not be fooled by the defense today playing a Chiefs team that has been terrible in recent weeks on both sides of the ball.

Regardless a win is a win and this team has found a way to generate some false hope at least until next weekend when the Pats do their usual thing in Buffalo and embarrass this team similar to what we saw in the previous three games.

Just now, BobChalmers said:

A rookie's first game against the league's leading pass rush, and the first one at least  100% not on him - but don't let reality affect you.

Fortunately, you won't be making the call at OBD.

When our assessment of what will happen comes up wrong, get back to us.

So its common for rookies to throw 5int in 2 quarters of play? When was the last time that happened? Didnt realize we were playing the legion of boom @ Seattle. Reality is that he threw 5int. It doesnt get any more real than that. 

The assessmemts on this board are laughable when the entire country, except Buffalo, thinks Tyrod is undervalued. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I'm not shocked by todays win, in fact I saw it coming and predicted it this morning.

But at the end of the day Taylor is the same guy he's always been...makes a few great plays and can keep a drive alive with this legs, but is wildly inconsistent in most cases including very inaccurate throws that prevent a WR from making YAC or barely catching the ball because of where it's thrown (see the Oleary play for perfect example, a good throw there and obviously that's a 1st down and lot more which the announcers hammered home as well).

I think on a team with a truly great defense Taylor certainly can be a playoff QB but this is the 2nd head coach that has tried that model and ultimately has (and will) fail. And let's not be fooled by the defense today playing a Chiefs team that has been terrible in recent weeks on both sides of the ball.

Regardless a win is a win and this team has found a way to generate some false hope at least until next weekend when the Pats do their usual thing in Buffalo and embarrass this team similar to what we saw in the previous three games.

The NE fan. Newsflash: The bills can get the sixth spot without beating NE.

Just now, bobobonators said:

So its common for rookies to throw 5int in 2 quarters of play? When was the last time that happened? Didnt realize we were playing the legion of boom @ Seattle. Reality is that he threw 5int. It doesnt get any more real than that. 

The assessmemts on this board are laughable when the entire country, except Buffalo, thinks Tyrod is undervalued. 

Try not to respond to the crusaders is my advice. They have some weird thing going on and can't be happy after a W because TT was the QB. they are all a waste. I'm convinced of that after today.

11 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

It was knee high, not waist high.  That's why O'Leary went down to get it.  It should have been thrown much earlier - O'Leary was WIDE open right off his break.

Ok, I'll give you that one, but Matthews caught one placed about the same height as that pass and stayed upright.  Again, I'll admit it wasn't a great pass.  

Anyways, I'm happy about the victory.  Go Bills!