How did some big name NFL quarterbacks perform in their first NFL start?

8 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I'm repeating myself but so are you LOL: Why would you want to get rid of the best QB on your roster??? Yes he's no "franchise quarterback" but unless the Bills sign one, and that could be next year as it could be 20 years later, I just don't see the point of losing him! You keep your best players based on results vs salary cap and other factors. Is he among the Top 10 in the league? Nope. But he's by far the best here in a long while.

Right on target (no INT)

If Tyrod is the best they have and want to continue to sell Tyrod as the starter I hope they all get fired by 2019. IMO No way do they pay Tyrod for 2018 season, if he stays I want a new staff. I want better

IMO Tyrod is the same cancer Mario was and IMO he will make sure a better QB will fail learning from him. I want a starter to learn to win games not pad stats and care only about stats. I want my starter to play as a starter not a backup from Baltimore 

Edited by xRUSHx

The reality is that Peterman was and still is projected to develop into a  backup. He was a highly touted high school recruit that didn't play well enough to hold onto a starting job at Tennessee. He beat Clemson at Pit, but only went 8-5 on the year. I wouldn't expect him to develop into an everyday starter, let alone a franchise QB, nor would I compare him to the names on that list. If he can remain employed in the NFL beyond his rookie contract, he's done well. And if he can develop into a Kyle Orton, Chad Henne, Matt Moore type of QB he will have succeeded. Its actually safe to assume that his stat line will never eclipse Tyrod's. 

If you like the kid, I would temper my expectations, and avoid over-evaluating his play.

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

A lot of good QBs were horrible in their first start.

A lot of terrible QBs were horrible in their first start.

One half of one game doesn't prove anything, one way or the other.  But there was nothing in Peterman's first game that suggested he deserves to be a NFL starter.  Time will tell.

I will say two things did

One is, he wasn't crying. Nor did he break into a non-stop torrent of obscenities. I am pretty sure I would have done both.

I had the obscenities breakdown part just watching from home.

Second is he did read the field and very quickly. Except the oncoming rusher that he didn't always see.

And he had a simpler chore to read the field because the receiver options were fewer. But he didn't just make outright bad reads that I could see.

46 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I hope so too.

Mind you I am sure plenty of bad QBs had bad first games also. But this article gave me some perspective.

i hope after losses to kc and ne , he gets to start the rest of the way. 9-7 won't get us past baltimore unless they have a meltdown.

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

After an acid drop maybe.  There is no "appropriate" comparison of Peterman to what prime QB prospects did in their respective 1st professional starts.

Ok. That is a valid take. 

It just depends on the level of thought and analysis an individual wishes to put into things.

I like to understand things on a deeper level than that so I look at film and I consider other information and incorporate that into the opinion or conclusion I come to. I am still not done looking for info. But that does take time and effort and also I run the risk that my opinion will change the more information I consider.

Your way is much more efficient. You know he was not a #1 so it is not the same thing you say. Who can argue? Not me! Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

I think it's pretty likely Peterman will get a few (1-3) more starts this year.  Tyrod and the Bills need at least a win against KC or NE to remain at all in the playoff conversation.

AND highly probable he will start the 2018 season for the Bills.

How he does in his other chances this season and how the draft falls next year will determine whether he's starting long-term or just as a placeholder for the rookie they get.

What makes you say that?  Peterman has shown nothing to indicate that he's starting QB material.   That he looked decent against the Saints 2nd and 3rd stringers only proves that he can play against scrubs.  His supposed readiness for the NFL seems to have been the product of the wishful thinking of the most vociferous Tyrod Taylor haters.  It looks to me that nobody on the Bills coaching staff  bothered much with Peterman at all since TC until McDermott decided he'd start last Sunday.   Then he was crammed full of plays for a game plan totally unsuitable for a rookie QB in his first start ... and fed to the wolves.   The #2 QB on the roster -- the starter's backup -- should at least get a smidgen of the coaching staff's attention, and if the Bills truly thought he was a possible future starter,  one would think that some coach would work with him!  :doh:   But hey, McDermott is a coaching genius and Beane is a great GM and they've got this great plan to win a Super Bowl so all us dumb stupid fans who keep pointing out that the emperors are strutting around bare-arsed should just shut up and find other teams to support.

I have no doubt that Taylor is gone before next season but if the Bills don't draft a QB in the first or second round, then they'll bring in another veteran as a starter.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Anything could happen with regard to any of those possibilities with so much to be determined.  Peterman could start, but posting that it's extremely probable is far too premature. 

Hehe - Just my speculation :  70% chance Peterman opens the season, 15% Rookie 1st rounder, 10% Tyrod, 5% FA veteran.

And again - assuming NP plays again this year, his play will affect the the first two numbers above.

Given some of the reactions, looks like I should start offering bets!

6 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I am sending this to my brother in CA . Says Peterman is through in Buffalo

LOL, through in one game....embarrassing

HALF a game.

But sure - he's terrible.  Pitt's defense must have carried him to a 43-42 win over Clemson last year!  :rolleyes:

Edited by BobChalmers

1 minute ago, BobChalmers said:

Hehe - Just my speculation :  70% chance he opens the season, 15% Rookie 1st rounder, 10% Tyrod, 5% FA veteran.

And again - assuming NP plays again this year, his play will affect the the first two numbers above.

Given some of the reactions, looks like I should start offering bets!

Wouldn't surprise me if he started again this season.  Based on what I project him to be and what he's demonstrated to date if he's the Bills' starter in '18 they'll be in the running for the #1 overall pick in '19.   70% :sick:  A better solution than he offers is sorely needed.  

What makes me think that NP is starting QB material?, it IS watching Tyrod for two and one half years. Frustration in spades. you cannot tell ANYTHING about NP's projected talent in the minuscule sample we have been exposed to. I would have to defer to McDermott in that respect because he is THE COACH and should know.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

I think I have seen enough already of Peterman to know.   He didn't throw five interceptions.  He threw five interceptions IN A HALF!  

So seeing 2.5 quarters of football completely defines him? 

If that were the standard most NFL players, let's make that most people in whatever they do, would be considered not good enough.

7 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

What makes me think that NP is starting QB material?, it IS watching Tyrod for two and one half years. Frustration in spades. you cannot tell ANYTHING about NP's projected talent in the minuscule sample we have been exposed to. I would have to defer to McDermott in that respect because he is THE COACH and should know.

See his judgment on Tolbert, Ducasse, believing in his run defense that led him to think they'd be just fine w/o Dareus as well as other personnel decisions.  People have every right to question him on the disastrous Peterman decision in addition to the others.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

21 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

I think I have seen enough already of Peterman to know.   He didn't throw five interceptions.  He threw five interceptions IN A HALF!  

Why even bother drafting quarterbacks? One game and they are through. Lets trade the picks away...

Terry Bradshaw said "I had worse games, hang in there kid"

I listened to "draft a QB"..... draft a QB" for 15 years now....then they get a crummy half game???

Not listening anymore

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 2

18 for 27, 150 yards, 2 tds, 0 turnovers, 23 yards rushing, left the field with the lead against the Patriots - EJ Manuel!!!

this comparison is completely invalid.  As others have pointed out, they were all basically 1 overall picks. Thus, they went to rock bottom teams.  

Also, as number 1 picks, they were elite prospects and not 5th round picks despite being the "most pro ready prospect."

And it's not Peterman's fault at all.  It's irrational fans and a coach who seems over his head's fault.  Most smart people thought it was a terrible idea to put a 5th round rookie who was ok at best against fringe NFL players in preseason in a game with playoff implications.  Stupid, stupid move and most likely, NP is a backup at best.  Completely irrational.

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

i hope after losses to kc and ne , he gets to start the rest of the way. 9-7 won't get us past baltimore unless they have a meltdown.

Well if we get to that point I would lean your way except I am not sure how much he would learn.

To me it depends how good the pass rush of the opponents is. The Chargers just tied up our good linemen, (Richie And Wood), and took advantage of and defeated our poor or rookie linemen. If that keeps happening his learning chances are limited.

He can learn not to telegraph when the ball will be hiked in the shotgun formation like he did every time. If the Bills know about that by now they can teach him not to do it.

And he can learn when things are getting dicey to throw the ball away or just duck and cover. But thing get dicey for him a lot because he isn't an escape artist like Tyrod is and he needs to be behind this current line..