How did some big name NFL quarterbacks perform in their first NFL start?

On 11/24/2017 at 5:38 PM, SoTier said:

I totally agree that it would be wisest for the Bills to keep Taylor in 2018, but I just don't see it happening.  Whether they get rid of him to save money or to placate the anti-Taylor contingent of vociferous fans or to pave the way for a yet-to-be-drafted first round QB, he's history just like Fitzpatrick was in 2013.  It will undoubtedly be better for Tyrod.  I doubt it will be better for the Bills or their fans in 2018 but then it's most definitely "the Bills way".

There is no "the Bills way". Whole new GM, coaches, scouting department.  Even 30 players are new ones to the roster. Only similarities are the media, the fans, etc. Sure the history and the Drought loom large, but every team has its sets of pressure to deal with. Some more than others but still. Us fans have been through the drought and are affected. The current team itself has nothing to relate to that more than they relate to the 4 straight AFC championships.

And it would be stupid to let go of Taylor before you have anyone to replace him. Totally stupid. Let the fans vent. If you lose they'll get doing and ask for your head. If you win, most will come around.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2017 at 1:26 PM, Dunkirk Don said:

Peterman will start again this year and he will be much better.  Will he be a superstar? No but I see him like a FrankReich.  Can come off the bench for a few games and win.  In the off season, we will pick up one of the Vikings gbs to compete for the starting job.  We will trade both Glenn and Shady.  Don’t expect a big return for Glenn, he is damaged goods. Look for t5th or lower and a second or third for McCoy 

But, but Cousins is not a viking? So confusing!

Patience patience patience. 

This is what developing QBs need from his coaching staff, his teammates and his fans. 

Not today - everyone wants to win immediately and if a player wins immediately he’s crowned as the next Brady. 

Finding a QB who is excellent in start 1 and just owns the position right from college is very rare. 

Fans should learn to appreciate how long this can take. 

Way too early to form any conclusion regarding Peterman. Those among us who think they know (either way) only think they know.

His first outing was pretty much a disaster. He made three very bad throws IMO, two of which resulted in picks and a third which should have. The rest was not necessarily all on him. Generally he did not play within himself and tried to do way too much. Typical rookie mistake and he paid for it big time. But some of that was also clearly on the coaching staff. In retrospect he was clearly not ready and the coaches should have known that. Also the playcalls and selection were more appropriate for an experienced NFL passer, not a guy making his first start. I can remember the rookie seasons of Ben and Brady. These two future HOF guys were clearly asked only to play within themselves and were not to do too much.  I think the gameplan for Peterman was more aggressive and indeed too much so. 

And the Bolts were the wrong matchup for the rook given their ability to bring pressure and our weakness in pass pro on the right side of the line. Tyrod would not have thrown 5 picks in the first 30 mins but he might have been sacked 7 times like he was versus the Jets, who have a much weaker pass rush than the Chargers. I think some here had predicted that Peterman's first start was going to be against the Colts and in hindsight its apparent that they had a better idea than our coaches did. And what others have said about coaching viz Case Keenum (gameplaning, play calling and scheme) is spot on IMO. Not many even great quarterbacks are entirely scheme versatile. Dan Fouts would have greatly outperformed Joe Montana in a Don Coryell offence. Can you envision Tom Brady executing a scheme dependent upon QB mobility outside of the pocket? Frankly I would not be surprised if with experience and proper handling Peterman eventually proved capable of doing what Keenum is doing now. Case is not a world class athlete, was undrafted and does not have a strong arm, but he has always been accurate with it.

What concerned me the most about Peterman's first outing were two out patterns, one to each side of the field, that were clearly not NFL calibre throws and that reasonably raise the arm strength question. One was a pick and the other should have been. Some have mentioned that he puts too much mustard especially on some of his intermediate (and other) throws (two of his picks were overthrows). Could be he is overcompensating for something. I wonder what.

Anyway I guess my point is simply that the sample size is too small and that we need to see more of him before reaching any kind of conclusion. 

• Like (+1) 1