Broncos Name Paxton Lynch Starting QB; Trevor Siemian Back In with Lynch Injured

26CornerBlitz

44 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

You would think it is obvious but Whaley tried to build a team without a QB.  I hope this regime isn't that dumb but you never know.  The Bills haven't had a QB in 20 years and haven't made much of an attempt to get one either.  So yes they do need to realize the importance of the position

This is plainly false. He may have whiffed on the ones he drafted and signed, but he brought a bunch of them in.

9 minutes ago, yungmack said:

This is plainly false. He may have whiffed on the ones he drafted and signed, but he brought a bunch of them in.

he said on a number of occassions they are going to build the team around defense and the running game.  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/19/with-no-franchise-quarterback-bills-planning-to-build-around-defense-and-run-game/

they drafted EJ and that's it.  EJ, as every draft analyst could have told you, was a complete bust.  they brought in a bunch of nobodies besides that.  if you whiff on the QB you drafted doesn't mean you can't keep drafting them.  think of all of the QB's we could have had between 2013 and now.  get a freaking QB at all costs.  if at first you don't succeed, try and try again.  you trade up for a WR in the deepest WR draft of all time but you don't trade up for a QB?  this is craziness

Edited by kdiggz

5 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

You have to play the 1st rounder, see what you've got. 

He didn't look that bad  when he saw some time last year. 

Actually, he didn't look that bad at all.  He looked "ordinary rookie QB getting his first significant regular season game action" bad.  59% completion/2 TD, 1 INT, 79.2 rating. As with most talented/high draft pick rookie QBs, he flashed some skills. He also looked a little confused by the speed of the game, which made him very cautious.  No Gunslinggin' Nathan there. But that's kind of what you expect a rookie QB to do. If only Nathan had followed the script ... all told (and I live in Colorado), I thought Lynch was about what any reasonable person would have expected. Everyone thought he was a project when he was drafted out of Memphis' definitely non-pro ready program, but he has the size and the arm. Nothing has changed my assessment of him.  In fact, had Siemien been able to hold the job, I would've suggested that the Bills take a run at him for next year to put him in the new QB derby. My estimate of "will become a good NFL starter" potential: 25%.

1 hour ago, mead107 said:

Broncos have balls 

Not really. Siemian and BO are marginal NFL QBs who were playing poorly in the midst of a six game losing streak while Lynch is their 1st round pick from last season.  Nothing ballsy about giving him a shot given what they have invested in him.  

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not really. Siemian and BO are marginal NFL QBs who were playing poorly in the midst of a six game losing streak while Lynch is their 1st round pick from last season.  Nothing ballsy about giving him a shot gievn what they have invested in him.  

Exactly. They'd have to run the table to make the playoffs at this point. That clearly wasn't going to happen with Siemien or Brock, so this one was an easy call.  Just like it would have been an easy call to go to Peterman in that Colts game when we probably would've been 5-7 anyway.

11 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Exactly. They'd have to run the table to make the playoffs at this point. That clearly wasn't going to happen with Siemien or Brock, so this one was an easy call.  Just like it would have been an easy call to go to Peterman in that Colts game when we probably would've been 5-7 anyway.

Absolutely the case. 

12 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Actually, he didn't look that bad at all.  He looked "ordinary rookie QB getting his first significant regular season game action" bad.  59% completion/2 TD, 1 INT, 79.2 rating. As with most talented/high draft pick rookie QBs, he flashed some skills. He also looked a little confused by the speed of the game, which made him very cautious.  No Gunslinggin' Nathan there. But that's kind of what you expect a rookie QB to do. If only Nathan had followed the script ... all told (and I live in Colorado), I thought Lynch was about what any reasonable person would have expected. Everyone thought he was a project when he was drafted out of Memphis' definitely non-pro ready program, but he has the size and the arm. Nothing has changed my assessment of him.  In fact, had Siemien been able to hold the job, I would've suggested that the Bills take a run at him for next year to put him in the new QB derby. My estimate of "will become a good NFL starter" potential: 25%.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I'm still very high on Lynch, I think he just needs to take his lumps in live game action to develop. 

6 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I'm still very high on Lynch, I think he just needs to take his lumps in live game action to develop. 

As for my estimate that the other guys (Siemien/Brock) will ever become a good NFL starter:

Brock: 0

Siemien: 5 %

And I think the Broncos see the same thing. Lynch is still kind of a longshot, but a reasonable longshot play. The other guys really have no future as NFL starters.