McD's biggest mistake

JaCrispy

18 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The Bills don't hire Head Coaches, they hire Bonehead Coaches. 

Oooooooooh.  Truth Hurts.  :bag:

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think keeping vets and trying to win was the right approach.......a QB to develop and breaking the losing culture were jobs 1 and 1A IMO........but I agree that you need to be committed to what you are doing one way or another.

They wanted a roster full of veterans filling virtually even all of the depth spots.........but didn't want to keep Watkins or Dareus?

How exactly do you WIN without guys that can actually impact games? 

Now they are old and have only a tiny handful of very young players in development..........and almost nobody in or entering their prime..........this roster is all kindsa' wrong for a team that is rebuilding OR trying to win.

This is exactly my concern. 

36 minutes ago, Peter said:

I agree.  I just did not feel like going through the entire litany. 

Ha ha me neither, I cut it off after Poyer and Gaines.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't think McD or McB are trying to tank. Their decisions to move Sammy and Marcel were certainly about the future, but McD is trying his best to win with the talent he has. That is what I want from the Bills at this point. Do as well as you can in the present while having and executing a plan for the future. IMHO starting Peterman was because Tyrod hadn't been producing what the team needed on offense in the last few games and he had seen things from Peterman that indicated he had the potential to be an improvement over TT. The moves they have made have opened up cap space and created draft picks to improve the team talent next year. Hopefully, McD and the other coaches can find a way to make the rest of this year's games competitive and maybe even regain some of the form from earlier on in the season. 

For the rest of this year I will probably record the games and start watching at half-time if they aren't being blown out to keep the Bills from ruining my Sundays.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that you are onto something. If the Bills would have went full tank it would be much easier to take. Deciding to tank while holding a playoff spot, for the team with the longest playoff drought in the 4 major sports, is a tough pill to swallow. I’ve always said that it isn’t about the playoffs it’s about a Super Bowl so I don’t want to be too much of a hypocrite. I just don’t like being lied to. Let’s call it what it is and we will be a little more forgiving. Transparency is really important to me in leadership. That might be McDermott’s worst quality.

How do you think Kyle Williams feels? He could've retired or asked to be released or traded to have a chance to make the playoffs once in his career.

6 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

How do you think Kyle Williams feels? He could've retired or asked to be released or traded to have a chance to make the playoffs once in his career.

Yep, I think that it is tough for all of the vets. It certainly doesn’t build the locker room. 

I think the coaches are doing their best to win, but they realized that sacrifices had to be made for the future. Fans have been calling for a complete clean-out from the backups to the HC and entire personnel staff. Now that someone is giving them what they want, they want him fired too.

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Dennison and Kubiak are a big reason why Manning looked as bad as he did his last season. They insisted he play their system, and the "compromise" was still a totally different offense for an aging and banged up #18.

They wanted roll outs and under center for Manning even though it was patently obvious that it wasn't going to work. I think Rico learned his stubbornness from Kubiak.

Have a QB who moves like a busted mower in tall grass play under center drop back and roll out, what could go wrong?

2 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I think the coaches are doing their best to win, but they realized that sacrifices had to be made for the future. Fans have been calling for a complete clean-out from the backups to the HC and entire personnel staff. Now that someone is giving them what they want, they want him fired too.

Wake me up when Brandon leaves the building.

I've never heard anyone call for all the players to be gone.  Most recognize there was talent here. 

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Not telling everyone up front that we were rebuilding this year...he should have let KW retire and allowed the fans not to get their hopes up this year...imo that's that REAL reason fans are upset...Had McD just leveled with us, no one would care if Peterman was playing or that we traded away our best talent.  By keeping it a gray area, it makes it difficult for fans to come to grips with everything that has gone down imo.  Thoughts?

...c'mon 'Crispy, you're a football guy........you actually needed McD to tell you THAT?.......Jesus, the FO/Administration/Coaching Staff upheaval was the first clue (HINT).......then we get to Whaley patching personnel holes and the new gang is faced with 23 UFA's, the majority of which were one year rentals.....STILL need for McD to tell you?......and then they have to field a team via draft & FA that is hopefully competitive but more realistically not......it's all pretty much "black and white" and you're a helluva lot smarter football guy than waiting to hear the feared "R word"..........it's called the real world of OBD (again, yup I know, rinse & repeat as in the last 17, but it IS the real world)......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

52 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...c'mon 'Crispy, you're a football guy........you actually needed McD to tell you THAT?.......Jesus, the FO/Administration/Coaching Staff upheaval was the first clue (HINT).......then we get to Whaley patching personnel holes and the new gang is faced with 23 UFA's, the majority of which were one year rentals.....STILL need for McD to tell you?......and then they have to field a team via draft & FA that is hopefully competitive but more realistically not......it's all pretty much "black and white" and you're a helluva lot smarter football guy than waiting to hear the feared "R word"..........it's called the real world of OBD (again, yup I know, rinse & repeat as in the last 17, but it IS the real world)......

I probably didn’t explain it the best I could so here goes another shot...It’s not that I need McD to tell me, as I am cool with all the moves being made... as I stated before I have wanted a rebuild for quite some time now .

I  guess I am speaking for other people, mainly fans and media, who seem so shocked and upset at what is happening with the team right now -  as if they didn’t expect it  because McD kept saying he was “trying to win now.”   (I keep hearing people say that winning now and winning in the future contradict, which I happen to agree with because the salary cap along with expiring contracts dictate that building a winner in today’s NFL is all about timing imo.)

So back to McD...Looking at that quote  “win now” I now believe that it was more nuanced then, perhaps, people had originally thought...meaning,  McD’s first priority was always to build long-term sustaining success imo... but you can’t do that if you are throwing everything into this current season to try and win it all this year- because of all of the bad contracts, limited salary cap space, mediocre talent etc...

So, to me what he was really trying to say is that when the team steps on the field for a game, on any given Sunday, they are going to fight like hell to “win now”.  Even if they gut the team, they are going to try to “win now”.  Even if they start Nate Peterman they are going to try to “win now”...I take it to mean they are going to give maximum “effort on the field” to win games. And I just think it confused a lot of people as to what his intentions were for year 1... I don’t know if that makes any sense- it’s probably the best I can do at describing it...

Edited by JaCrispy

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

I probably didn’t explain it the best I could so here goes another shot...It’s not that I need McD to tell me, as I am cool with all the moves being made... as I stated before I have wanted a rebuild for quite some time now .

I  guess I am speaking for other people, mainly fans and media, who seem so shocked and upset at what is happening with the team right now -  as if they didn’t expect it  because McD kept saying he was “trying to win now.”   (I keep hearing people say that winning now and winning in the future contradict, which I happen to agree with because the salary cap along with expiring contracts dictate that building a winner in today’s NFL is all about timing imo.)

So back to McD...Looking at that quote  “win now” I now believe that it was more nuanced then, perhaps, people had originally thought...meaning,  McD’s first priority was always to build long-term sustaining success imo... but you can’t do that if you are throwing everything into this current season to try and win it all this year- because of all of the bad contracts, limited salary cap space, mediocre talent etc...

So, to me what he was really trying to say is that when the team steps on the field for a game, on any given Sunday, they are going to fight like hell to “win now”.  Even if they gut the team, they are going to try to “win now”.  Even if they start Nate Peterman they are going to try to “win now”...I take it to mean they are going to give maximum “effort on the field” to win games. And I just think it confused a lot of people as to what his intentions were for year 1... I don’t know if that makes any sense- it’s probably the best I can do at describing it...

.....got it bro...thanks for the clarification.....as I said , you're a damn good football guy.....heart 'n soul..............

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, K-9 said:

My thought is that if McD came in on day one and said "this is a rebuilding year" (read: we are throwing in the towel so nobody here has anything worth coaching or playing for this year) then he would have had no locker room at all and he would have enraged at least half the fan base. 

I think have the fan base would be enraged no matter WHAT he did so should not worry about it.  This is a fanbase which when polled wanted to trade our starting DE for John Skelton. 

13 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Not telling everyone up front that we were rebuilding this year...he should have let KW retire and allowed the fans not to get their hopes up this year...imo that's that REAL reason fans are upset...Had McD just leveled with us, no one would care if Peterman was playing or that we traded away our best talent.  By keeping it a gray area, it makes it difficult for fans to come to grips with everything that has gone down imo.  Thoughts?

It doesnt really matter if McD called this a rebuilding year.............once fans see a 5-2 start, then its playoffs or bust.

Now if McD really wanted to make a statement, he should have stopped the talks of hope after starting so good and brought the fans back down to reality ASAP.

14 minutes ago, Sweats said:

It doesnt really matter if McD called this a rebuilding year.............once fans see a 5-2 start, then its playoffs or bust.

Now if McD really wanted to make a statement, he should have stopped the talks of hope after starting so good and brought the fans back down to reality ASAP.

The guy won't even say he made the wrong decision by starting Peterman. I agree with you, and I agree with a lot being said.

His messaging is awful, but McDermott is not long for the league in my opinion. He's the typical football coach, he thinks he's smarter than everyone else in the room and just speaks in cliches. How else does he come to the determination that Peterman should have started? I'm biased at this point because I just find him annoying. They are in a tough position talking about winning now and building for later, but it is a bit of a political act. Whenever things go well, they're trying to win now. When they start Peterman, it's about the "bigger vision" not a giant mistake. I just don't trust these guys and I'm just a fan, if you're a player, how do you trust them at all? And this process ****, don't even get me started with this process stuff. I know they hired a guy so they don't repeat the Whaley/Lynn debacle of last year, which also Terry needs to step up and be a man about it. He's an awful public speaker so for him to potentially fire guys for failing a decision that he oversaw, he should get it. Terry created that whole disaster. But that PR guy they hired, tell him to stop saying using the word process or it's going to be thrown in their face over and over again. It actually makes McDermott sound unintelligent at a point, it's all bull ****. 

He already sounded like he was getting short with Schopp and Bulldog on Monday, he's lucky it's Buffalo, a bigger market he'd be destroyed. They're saying he should be fired on PTI, it'd be way worse if he was McAdoo, Bowles, or Garrett.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1

Whining at it's greatest, no coach owes it to fans to let us know what's going on, if you can't see it with your own eyes then your just blinded. This team is in constant rebuild every year, until they find a QB it will always be a rebuild until then and it shouldn't be a secret, if you have eyes you should know this by now.

• Like (+1) 1

No coach is ever going to say "it's a rebuilding year." Yeah, that would really sit great with vets like Shady and Kyle. 

It's not the coach's fault you can't read between the lines. Honest question - what did you think was going to happen when they accumulated 10 draft picks? Were you expecting them to trade those picks before the deadline to make a November push?

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Whining at it's greatest, no coach owes it to fans to let us know what's going on, if you can't see it with your own eyes then your just blinded. 

Amen.

2 minutes ago, QCity said:

No coach is ever going to say "it's a rebuilding year." Yeah, that would really sit great with vets like Shady and Kyle. 

It's not the coach's fault you can't read between the lines. Honest question - what did you think was going to happen when they accumulated 10 draft picks? Were you expecting them to trade those picks before the deadline to make a November push?

Amen.

You're right about the fans, but does he owe it to guys like Shady or more so Kyle? A guy who is debating retirement then luring him back talking about making a run for the playoffs, or at least that was the speculation.

Then getting a guy like Boldin, trying to get him sign, selling him on a run, then trading your number 1. Good for Boldin for retiring, and how does Kyle trust this coaching staff if they indeed told him they wanted to make a run this year and then they have last week happen.

These guys are terrible at judgment. Belichick manages it well, has a proven track record. McDermott seems to think that he can equal that by just shipping out talent for less value and benching guys.