1 play from yesterday that tells you why Dennison can't be here anymore

Big Turk

One play.  To anyone who knows anything about football more than just watching on TV every Sunday, you should know what I am talking about.  It was about the dumbest, most confounding thing I have ever seen from an offensive coordinator from a personnel standpoint.  This was just so obvious to anyone watching what the Bills should have done I don't even know what to say.

I am not even talking about the fact that your QB just had thrown his 3rd INT, or that your idiot kick returner seem to think he is going to score a TD everytime he has a chance to take the ball out of the endzone when its near the goalline when he should let the ball bounce into the endzone and take a knee that has us starting ANOTHER drive inside our own 15 yard line---where we have to be number one in the league for most drives starting inside our own 15 yard line.  I don't care if you have Tom Brady at QB here...the personnel mismatch is so great and was compounded by the Chargers shifting their DL that there can be only 1 playcall and 1 playcall only.

The play I am talking about is the Bills with first and 10 on their own 14 after Peterman just came back on after his 3rd INT, the Chargers come out in DIME(6 DB) Personnel.  We come out in 21 Personnel(2 back, 1 TE, 2 WR).  It is obvious we have a clear advantage in personnel to run the ball. This gets compounded by the Chargers deciding to shift their DL to their left(our right) leaving the LT and LG with literally nobody in front of them to block.  A run to the left would have gotten big yards...at least 8-10 but it looked like it was set up for another 20+ yard run for McCoy.  So what does Dennison call?  A pass, and not only that, a 2 yard comeback.  That gets intercepted.  WHAT????  What was the purpose of that route??  You pass up an easy big gain on 1st down to do that??  Throw a 2 yard comeback??  Forget the result, which was another INT, it was just DUMB football.  DUMB. Especially combined with us having just gashed the Chargers with a few runs to the left earlier in the game.  I just can't comprehend how you come out in that situation and with that personnel advantage and then don't run the ball.

This is not some complex thing you need to understand to know you should run the ball..this is simple personnel advantages...anytime a team comes out in the dime on 1st down you should run the ball, I don't care who you have on the field.  But when you come out with 2 backs and then STILL don't run it??  I don't get it...you can't win making dumb decisions like this, and this goes far beyond the playcall...I've seen similar situations from Dennison throughout the year where I am wondering what the hell he is thinking with some of the personnel matchups and his playcalls but this one is the straw that just broke the camels back...

Enough is enough, get this guy out of here.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 6

With an o line that can't pass block or run block, one crappy QB and one rookie QB and a cast of WRs who couldn't crack more than half of the NFL rosters .... how can this solely be placed on Dennison?

Don't get me wrong.  There's been some head-scratchers (i.e. - anytime Tolbert touches the ball), but this guy's working with zero consistent talent, other than McCoy.

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

One play.  To anyone who knows anything about football more than just watching on TV every Sunday, you should know what I am talking about.  It was about the dumbest, most confounding thing I have ever seen from an offensive coordinator from a personnel standpoint.  This was just so obvious to anyone watching what the Bills should have done I don't even know what to say.

I am not even talking about the fact that your QB just had thrown his 3rd INT, or that your idiot kick returner seem to think he is going to score a TD everytime he has a chance to take the ball out of the endzone when its near the goalline when he should let the ball bounce into the endzone and take a knee that has us starting ANOTHER drive inside our own 15 yard line---where we have to be number one in the league for most drives starting inside our own 15 yard line.  I don't care if you have Tom Brady at QB here...the personnel mismatch is so great and was compounded by the Chargers shifting their DL that there can be only 1 playcall and 1 playcall only.

The play I am talking about is the Bills with first and 10 on their own 14 after Peterman just came back on after his 3rd INT, the Chargers come out in DIME(6 DB) Personnel.  We come out in 21 Personnel(2 back, 1 TE, 2 WR).  It is obvious we have a clear advantage in personnel to run the ball. This gets compounded by the Chargers deciding to shift their DL to their left(our right) leaving the LT and LG with literally nobody in front of them to block.  A run to the left would have gotten big yards...at least 8-10 but it looked like it was set up for another 20+ yard run for McCoy.  So what does Dennison call?  A pass, and not only that, a 2 yard comeback.  That gets intercepted.  WHAT????  What was the purpose of that route??  You pass up an easy big gain on 1st down to do that??  Throw a 2 yard comeback??  Forget the result, which was another INT, it was just DUMB football.  DUMB. Especially combined with us having just gashed the Chargers with a few runs to the left earlier in the game.  I just can't comprehend how you come out in that situation and with that personnel advantage and then don't run the ball.

This is not some complex thing you need to understand to know you should run the ball..this is simple personnel advantages...anytime a team comes out in the dime on 1st down you should run the ball, I don't care who you have on the field.  But when you come out with 2 backs and then STILL don't run it??  I don't get it...you can't win making dumb decisions like this, and this goes far beyond the playcall...I've seen similar situations from Dennison throughout the year where I am wondering what the hell he is thinking with some of the personnel matchups and his playcalls but this one is the straw that just broke the camels back...

Enough is enough, get this guy out of here.

That was very bad.

The rationale I think Dennison was going for was that he wasn't going to take the ball out of his QBs hands. Peterman was clearly rattled, and they still wanted him to get comfortable throwing (that's why they dialed up what should've been an easy comeback route). It's easy to pan this decision in hindsight, but if he hits that comeback for 4 yards, it's just another play in the game. Dennison couldn't have possibly known that he would throw another INT, especially when a few of those weren't entirely on Peterman.

I did not see the game and am assuming your assessment of the play is accurate-and if so my concern is on the QB not calling an audible.  Needless to say with TT limited and Peterman a project its safe to say we need a QB

here is to not winning any meaningless games and having a draft pick high enough to get a QB next draft !!!

Like the one people were showing here last week where the play call has Tyrod rolling left where only one receiver is and 3 running open on the right wide open (because no way Tryod can throw it 50 yards across his body), and people clamoring that was the reason Tyrod was benched?

Yep it is the OC!!!!!!

If Dennison needs to go what about Leslie Frazier? Obviously this is McD's defense but why not make your DC an obvious scapegoat unless you believe it's not his fault either?

We will almost certainly move on from Dennison after this season but it's crucial we make the right hire especially if that guy is going to be working with NP and/or a 1st round draft pick.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

With an o line that can't pass block or run block, one crappy QB and one rookie QB and a cast of WRs who couldn't crack more than half of the NFL rosters .... how can this solely be placed on Dennison?

Don't get me wrong.  There's been some head-scratchers (i.e. - anytime Tolbert touches the ball), but this guy's working with zero consistent talent, other than McCoy.

I'm not talking about anything else...I am talking about basic smart football.  There is NO way they don't gain 8 yards on that play with a run to the left. None, unless McCoy falls down.  It has nothing to do with who they have or don't have.  It has to do with personnel on the field and taking advantage of an obvious mismatch.

6 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

The rationale I think Dennison was going for was that he wasn't going to take the ball out of his QBs hands. Peterman was clearly rattled, and they still wanted him to get comfortable throwing (that's why they dialed up what should've been an easy comeback route). It's easy to pan this decision in hindsight, but if he hits that comeback for 4 yards, it's just another play in the game. Dennison couldn't have possibly known that he would throw another INT, especially when a few of those weren't entirely on Peterman.

this is nonsense.  Who in their right mind trades a possible 4 yard gain for a potential 20+ yard run??  Who trusts their rookie QB starting his first game to be better in that situation than their HOF RB who already had 78 yards and a TD on 5 carries? 

Who does that??  Dennison. That's who.

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

True.

But you know what teams are going to try to do to defend against Tyrod.   So why aren't you exploiting that if you are the OC?

There have been games earlier this year where Tyrod's talents (the ones he really does have) were used against the opponent.   In the Saints game, Dennison allowed the Saints defense to dictate what the Bills could and couldn't do.   Bad strategic coaching.

Edited by PolishDave

2 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

True.

But you know what teams are going to try to do to defend against Tyrod.   So why aren't you exploiting that if you are the OC?

There have been games earlier this year where Tyrod's talents (the ones he really does have) were exploited.   In the Saints game, Dennison allowed the Saints defense to dictate what the Bills could and couldn't do.   Bad strategic coaching.

I think the Bills are just a team with very little talent and there's nothing the coaching staff can do to make them any better.  They stink.  Everyone except Haushka.  They suck.

9 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

If Dennison needs to go what about Leslie Frazier? Obviously this is McD's defense but why not make your DC an obvious scapegoat unless you believe it's not his fault either?

We will almost certainly move on from Dennison after this season but it's crucial we make the right hire especially if that guy is going to be working with NP and/or a 1st round draft pick.

Dude...you aren't understanding.  This has nothing to do with scheme or player talent or anything else.  This has to do with taking advantage of a personnel mismatch you are being GIFTED by the other team and simply doing exactly what they wanted you to do...Who the hell comes out in Dime personnel with a team backed up on their own 14 yard line on first down when you have your fullback and running back in the game??  That HAD to be a botched call by Bradley.  It worked out but he couldn't have actually wanted to do that.

Let me put this in perspective so maybe you can understand.  This would be the equivalent of a team coming out in 01 personnel and us coming out in a goalline defense and then they try to do an end around to their WR. It makes NO SENSE.

Edited by matter2003

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I’ve said this a million times but Lynn as OC had our offense at 27 PPG when Tyrod was the starter. That’s with the same QB, RB, and offensive line, and pretty much the same overall receiving talent. 27 PPG would be 7th in the league this season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I think the Bills are just a team with very little talent and there's nothing the coaching staff can do to make them any better.  They stink.  Everyone except Haushka.  They suck.

It doesn't take much talent to run 20 yards with nobody in front of you and 2 lineman with nobody to block.  Just saying.  Go watch the play again.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I’ve said this a million times but Lynn as OC had our offense at 27 PPG when Tyrod was the starter. That’s with the same QB, RB, and offensive line, and pretty much the same overall receiving talent. 27 PPG would be 7th in the league this season.

The line is far worse, as are the receivers.

12 minutes ago, chef4131 said:

I did not see the game and am assuming your assessment of the play is accurate-and if so my concern is on the QB not calling an audible.  Needless to say with TT limited and Peterman a project its safe to say we need a QB

here is to not winning any meaningless games and having a draft pick high enough to get a QB next draft !!!

Dennison doesn’t let his QBs audible. He didn’t when he was in Houston and he hasn’t let Tyrod or Peterman audible either. Must be an ego thing.