What's your early assessment of Peterman ?

GreggTX

I think he looks strong in the football smarts area. He makes good decisions (usually) and gets rid of the ball quickly. He's not the athlete that Tyrod is, but his arm looks better than advertised coming out of school.

We'll see how that part about making good decisions holds up on Sunday. It won't be garbage time and definitely not preseason. Who knows? Maybe this kid turns out pretty good. I'll cross my fingers.

Edited by GreggTX

I'm not sure early is the word for assessing Peterman at this point.  I don't think premature even covers it.  Whats the word for getting that crunchy tube sock out for clean up before she even agrees to the date?  That's the word you're looking for. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I'm not sure early is the word for assessing Peterman at this point.  I don't think premature even covers it.  Whats the word for getting that crunchy tube sock out for clean up before she even agrees to the date?  That's the word you're looking for. 

:lol:

He lasted through 5 rounds due to a consensus judgment of every scout in the league.  The consensus can obviously make big time mistakes (look no further than Tom Brady).

However, the scouts as a whole generally make pretty good judgments and Peterman was correctly judged to be one of the ready to go players, but simply did not demonstrate that his potential for a strong start did not show a lot of long-term upside.

My sense is that he will not be an embarrassment as a player, but he is unlikely to solve the real problems on this team that have led two straight blowout loses.

1.  The QB switch does nothing for a DL which without Dareus simply demands that an opponent run up the middle again and again.  Yes, Dareus was a problem child and not a McD/Beane guy.  The Bills survived with him being part of the rotation and even the occaisional game without him, but having him as part of a rotation and forcing the opposing OL to prepare not to be embarassed by this juvenile talent instead of preparing how to exploit Worthy has made our D a problem that a QB making our O better is not gonna solve this problem.

2.  Denison has really shown little as OC.  He likely will give the same mediocre play calling for NP he did for TT.

3. Our QB coach and OC proved unable to train TT out of a particular set of specific problems (Holds the ball too long, loss of Watkins ended deep ball threat (and even losing Woods as a solid #2).  Benjamin pick-up was a good one, but his contribution ((if any) is likely on him rather than differentiating QCs.

4. Our OL played great the last two years but has performed poorly this year.  NP is a better runner than expected but the escapability employed by TT was extraordinary.  NP is gonna have to run for his life or we may be seeing Tyrod sooner than expected.

I'd probably can Denison before canning TT.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I am guessing we will be pleasantly surprised. Will probably see some int's that Tyrod would never throw but we will probably see some nice passes to receivers that Tyrod would never throw either. The O line will suddenly look better and Shady will get his Mojo back because the passing game will open things up for him.

• Like (+1) 1

He's smart, accurate, has a good enough arm and the ball will come out on time.  The O-line will be asked to block for less time on pass plays and receivers will get the ball as they separate.

Questions have to be whether he's ready for Live NFL action and if he has enough tools to be successful week in and out.  The coaches must have seen enough to think he's ready now.

Go Bills

no one has any idea.  we'll see what we see Sunday.   I think the kid will struggle when the live bullets start flying.   He'll get 8 in the box, run game will get stuffed, and he'll have to throw to loosen the D.  no idea if he can do that with Joey Bosa in his face all day blowing by our horrible tackles.   we shall see.  

1 minute ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

no one has any idea.  we'll see what we see Sunday.   I think the kid will struggle when the live bullets start flying.   He'll get 8 in the box, run game will get stuffed, and he'll have to throw to loosen the D.  no idea if he can do that with Joey Bosa in his face all day blowing by our horrible tackles.   we shall see.  

If he can have half the poise he had in college, loading the box should open up the passing game and he *could* have a big game

4 hours ago, KingRex said:

He lasted through 5 rounds due to a consensus judgment of every scout in the league.  The consensus can obviously make big time mistakes (look no further than Tom Brady).

However, the scouts as a whole generally make pretty good judgments and Peterman was correctly judged to be one of the ready to go players, but simply did not demonstrate that his potential for a strong start did not show a lot of long-term upside.

My sense is that he will not be an embarrassment as a player, but he is unlikely to solve the real problems on this team that have led two straight blowout loses.

1.  The QB switch does nothing for a DL which without Dareus simply demands that an opponent run up the middle again and again.  Yes, Dareus was a problem child and not a McD/Beane guy.  The Bills survived with him being part of the rotation and even the occaisional game without him, but having him as part of a rotation and forcing the opposing OL to prepare not to be embarassed by this juvenile talent instead of preparing how to exploit Worthy has made our D a problem that a QB making our O better is not gonna solve this problem.

2.  Denison has really shown little as OC.  He likely will give the same mediocre play calling for NP he did for TT.

3. Our QB coach and OC proved unable to train TT out of a particular set of specific problems (Holds the ball too long, loss of Watkins ended deep ball threat (and even losing Woods as a solid #2).  Benjamin pick-up was a good one, but his contribution ((if any) is likely on him rather than differentiating QCs.

4. Our OL played great the last two years but has performed poorly this year.  NP is a better runner than expected but the escapability employed by TT was extraordinary.  NP is gonna have to run for his life or we may be seeing Tyrod sooner than expected.

I'd probably can Denison before canning TT.

Good post that pretty much sums up my views, too.  I will add that the Bills also don't even have a functional running game at present.   Unfortunately, I'm afraid it's likely to take at least three seasons of hopeless, mind-numbing losing to move OBD drive to admit they made a mistake with Beane/McDermott et al.

Leading up to the draft last year I thought a good comparison for Petereman was T.J. Yates, similar size, skill set.   Will have to see how it shakes out but my favorite part of the move had nothing to do with Peterman.  For me it was more about moving forward from being stuck in the cycle of 7-9 or 8-8.  The need for this team to bottom out and get a legitimate 1st round talent at quarterback is long overdue. 

Best case scenario Peterman is great and gets us to the playoffs

Worst case scenario he is terrible, we lose out and have a top 10-15 pick in the draft this year.

I've come to the conclusion that nobody, including scouts, can make forecasts about QBs. We've seen first rounders who were supposed to be great who couldn't play. We've seen QBs who were not first rounders do very well. The only thing I will say about a fifth rounder is the odds are against you becoming elite. Usually, the elite guys are first rounders....but not always. So much of it is luck after all. You can work hard and do the right things and boom an injury. You can have an OC/HC who just decide they don't like the way you look. Good Luck Nate...I'm rooting for you.

Edited by horned dogs

41 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

has he started a game yet? maybe after sundays game it would be a good time to give any assessment and frankly even then would be too early.

My thoughts exactly.  

Prejudging Nate at this time is (whats the right word?)  premature.  It will more than one game to make any valid assessment.  

I'm pulling for success for the Bills