A Very Simple Businesslike Reason They Are Starting Peterman

All other factors and possibilities and feelings and opinions aside, the Bills brass are looking at this in a very simple clear professional way.

They will play Peterman which means, things can go well, or things can go badly.

If things go well they will know that they do not need to draft a quarterback high next year.

If things go badly, they will know that they do need to draft a quarterback. And they will be in a better potion to do so because they will have lost more games and will draft higher.

I think it is that simple. They need to know and they are going to find out

• Like (+1) 1

Taylor's outing on Sunday was the worst performance by a Bills QB at home I've ever seen. Ultimately, it was the final straw and they now know that Taylor is not going to be their franchise quarterback.

Next up - Peterman. He's either going to be the franchise QB or he's going to be a long-term backup to our new franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 1

Sounds about right BLM...I would add that they are likely to draft a QB either way, as they will at least need a backup if Peterman is the starter in 2018...if Peterman does not win the job they will likely have more urgency to draft a starter imo

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm pulling for the kid. it'll mean playoffs or no playoffs. he does well enough and the defense steps up, could mean a wildcard?

I'd sure like to see the drought end but if not,  they''ll find a QB in the draft and hopefully he doesn't take too long to develop?

could see 20 years?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

All other factors and possibilities and feelings and opinions aside, the Bills brass are looking at this in a very simple clear professional way.

They will play Peterman which means, things can go well, or things can go badly.

If things go well they will know that they do not need to draft a quarterback high next year.

If things go badly, they will know that they do need to draft a quarterback. And they will be in a better potion to do so because they will have lost more games and will draft higher.

This makes sense....It gives the Bills a chance to evaluate Peterman against real NFL teams before making the big investment in drafting a QB.  Also it allows McDermott to further evaluate Dennison's offense.  If his offense fails to generate anything with both Tyrod and Peterman (a QB that is more suited to run the offense) then I think his job as OC Is in jeopardy

• Like (+1) 2

Peterman could light it up and I still want the Bills to strongly consider drafting a QB high.

The freaking Patriots used a 2 to take Garapollo.

The Bills haven't got it right for 20 years. The more options the better next April.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Assessing rookies and planning for next year when you're still sitting in a wildcard spot is "clear" and "professional"?

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Assessing rookies and planning for next year when you're still sitting in a wildcard spot is "clear" and "professional"?

Because this team is a playoff team.... you’re right- we are built to cause some real damage in the post season....

Because we are BARELY hanging onto the LAST playoff spot 58% of the way through the season certainly doesn’t mean we are a playoff caliber team....

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, CountryCletus said:

Because this team is a playoff team.... you’re right- we are built to cause some real damage in the post season....

If the season ended today, we're in the playoffs.  For the first time in 17 years, we're in.  And you and the rest of the unwashed masses espouse making winning this year a tertiary goal behind the 2018 draft and evaluating players for next year?  How many winning seasons are you willing to sacrifice for the POSSIBILITY of future winning seasons?  Are winning seasons and playoff berths worth more in the future? 

Just now, Jauronimo said:

Yes. Plainly they are moving on from Tyrod Taylor. Or possibly they are trying to wake him up.

Against the Jets we scored 7 points during the portion of the game where it was not a sure loss.

Against the Saints we scored 3.  When you score 10 points in 2 weeks you have to do something when you are dealing with a 7th year pro.

Or so I think. 

I agree with you all who say that we may spend just one high pick on a qb if things go well.  That makes sense.

Let me say this though. I know Peterman was chosen in the 5th for a reason. And I know even a high first rounder has about a 50-50 chance of turning out well.

On Peterman's first day at camp, his first day, I watched him reading the defense and picking at the seams in the zone defense.

Someone posted a vidoe of him doing that from last game so you can see what I mean. He sees what is happening, and the throws to the spot where he knows the gap will be, before the receiver even makes his cut.

I am no football genius I freely admit. But I have been going to camp for 13 years now. No rookie could do that. And we have had multiple starters who could not do that. Tyrod can not do this.

On his first day of camp Peterman could. That is very different. I was amazed.

Maybe he has other big flaws, but I think maybe he might be good enough. And i think the coaches might think he might maybe be good enough too.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

If the season ended today, we're in the playoffs.  For the first time in 17 years, we're in.  And you and the rest of the unwashed masses espouse making winning this year a tertiary goal behind the 2018 draft and evaluating players for next year?  How many winning seasons are you willing to sacrifice for the POSSIBILITY of future winning seasons?  Are winning seasons and playoff berths worth more in the future? 

It ain't us, it's McDermott. His goal is to build a team that can consistently be good enough to compete for championship. Not this year.

Build. Consistently. Those are the key words. Words that aren't in there? "Playoffs."  Reaching the playoffs as a fodder team in a terrible conference isn't a terrible thing. But it doesn't mean a whole lot either.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Ok, say you are right and we make the playoffs.

Will you be ok with it if Tyrod and the offense score 3 points in a playoff game? Or the conference championship is where they choose to have their meltdown? This offense melts down sometimes. A couple games the defense scored enough points for a win. Another game we have I don't remember how many field goals. But this offense does not often put the ball in the end zone, even when they are not having a bad day.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Maybe McDermott, as a former DC, looked at the last two defensive game plans against his QB and made the assessment that Peterman gives him a better chance of getting to 9-10 wins with the remaining schedule than TT does based on what he sees from them every day...

Or maybe that’s just how I want to justify the change...

Based on the last two games, without a dramatic change, I don’t see them winning more than 3 to finish up the season, though. 

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Exactly. Win now and win tomorrow. The Browns have tanked every year and still suck the Bills have bee been a losing team for years. The Jets have been a losing team for years. You can get value throughout the drag without tanking. That mentality never works.