A Very Simple Businesslike Reason They Are Starting Peterman

2 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

All other factors and possibilities and feelings and opinions aside, the Bills brass are looking at this in a very simple clear professional way.

They will play Peterman which means, things can go well, or things can go badly.

If things go well they will know that they do not need to draft a quarterback high next year.

If things go badly, they will know that they do need to draft a quarterback. And they will be in a better potion to do so because they will have lost more games and will draft higher.

I think it is that simple. They need to know and they are going to find out

That's what makes this decision brilliant. It's a win win. 

4 minutes ago, unclepete said:

Exactly. Win now and win tomorrow. The Browns have tanked every year and still suck the Bills have bee been a losing team for years. The Jets have been a losing team for years. You can get value throughout the drag without tanking. That mentality never works. 

And teams like the Bills, Jets, Browns will lose until they find a franchise QB.  They're not easy to find but that's why you keep drafting. I don't care if you have to draft a QB every year. 

Super video.

As for the "national experts" and their constant rambling on draft rankings. Let's take the two best QBs in the league: Aaron Rodgers: 24th overall pick. Ann what about a certain Tom Brady who was selected with pick #199, a compensatory pick, in the sixth round of the 2000 NFL Draft? And how many first rounders and even first picks QB went bust? And in all positions for that matter, there have been 1st-2nd round busts and undrafted players that had awesome careers. So stupid this emphasis on draft placement. What matters is how Peterman performs in the NFL! Just like how the Bills performed against the Chargers in the 90s don't matter to what will happen this Sunday.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That's what makes this decision brilliant. It's a win win. 

And teams like the Bills, Jets, Browns will lose until they find a franchise QB.  They're not easy to find but that's why you keep drafting. I don't care if you have to draft a QB every year. 

I agree but you win with what you have. Not switch in the middle of a playoff run. We still could get a QB in the first round if we make the playoffs. We don’t have enough time this year to evaluate Peterman.  

14 minutes ago, unclepete said:

I agree but you win with what you have. Not switch in the middle of a playoff run. We still could get a QB in the first round if we make the playoffs. We don’t have enough time this year to evaluate Peterman.  

If I may say so, I think 7 or 8 games is enough to get a pretty good idea.

Especially since Peterman comes in with experience running an NFL style offense. Most new guys nowadays have no clue because of the college style offenses.

And maybe call me crazy but I think most QB's you can get a pretty good idea after  half season. Maybe not about how they will play in 5 years. But about how they will do anytime soon. And I think teams including the Bills kind of lie to us about that, or to themselves. JP was in trouble you could see it early on. EJ was in trouble you could see it early on. The Bills just pretended it wasn't true for years.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Especially since Peterman comes in with experience running an NFL style offense. Most new guys nowadays have no clue because of the college style offenses.

And maybe call me crazy but I think most QB's you can get a pretty good idea after  half season. Maybe not about how they will play in 5 years. But about how they will do anytime soon. And I think teams including the Bills kind of lie to us about that, or to themselves. JP was in trouble you could see it early on. EJ was in trouble you could see it early on. The Bills just pretended it wasn't true for years.

And when Peterman is average to above average like Trent Edwards. Or flashes like Fitzpatrick we’ll be wanting to see more from him. 

Look at how Wentz did last year or Goff. They’ve developed. But after 8 games we didn’t know what they were. Gonna take time to develop a young QB. Would rather give Peterman and a rookie time to battle it out in camp and ride it out with the winner for a season. See what we really have. We should have just started Peterman if we thought that highly of him like the Seahawks did Russell Wilson 

Edited by unclepete
  • Like (+1) 1

5-4 team that is still in the #6 spot by default because the rest of the AFC is trash.

McD and Beane had to do this knowing this season is on the verge of a bigger trainwreck than 2011.

But in reality they did this because they have a steal on the bench, on that has been getting better and better in practice each week and simply the better QB on the roster. They are also smart enough to understand the only chance this team has is to score points given the glaring deficientcies and holes on the defense.

2 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Ok, say you are right and we make the playoffs.

Will you be ok with it if Tyrod and the offense score 3 points in a playoff game? Or the conference championship is where they choose to have their meltdown? This offense melts down sometimes. A couple games the defense scored enough points for a win. Another game we have I don't remember how many field goals. But this offense does not often put the ball in the end zone, even when they are not having a bad day.

The horror! I can't even fathom going to the playoffs, making a run, and coming up short one game away from the Super Bowl.  You're right.  Tis' far better to have another season over before it snows. 

Let the drought continue!!  The best part about preparing for future success is you can do it indefinitely.  Lets stick with the problem we know rather than roll the dice with post season losses.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, unclepete said:

And when Peterman is average tobanove average like Trent Edwards. Or flashes like Fitzpatrick we’ll be wanting to see more from him. 

Look at how Wentz did last year or Goff. They’ve developed. But after 8 games we didn’t know what they were. Gonna take time to develop a young QB. Would rather give Peterman and a rookie time to battle it out in camp and ride it out with the winner for a season. See what we really have. We should have just started Peterman if we thought that highly of him like the Seahawks did Russell Wilson 

OK you have a point. But I didn't watch Wentz or Goff.

Rookies make mistakes and often make stupid ones. Even jim kelly made costly mistakes his first year as a Bills.

Did Wentz or Goff look like they were unable to understand? Like they could not be made to understand? Like they could not think quickly enough, could not scan the field quickly enough, could not recognize coverage?

JP, EJ, and Tyrod appeared as if they could not be made to understand. And that they could not read the defense quickly. Not to me, like they were making mistakes doing it. They looked like "can not".

Trent Edards certainly could and was worth waiting and seeing. Until he started to REFUSE to make certain throws. Just like Tyrod has started to do. He just wont do it. Time for the bench.

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The horror! I can't even fathom going to the playoffs, making a run, and coming up short one game away from the Super Bowl.  You're right.  Tis' far better to have another season over before it snows. 

Let the drought continue!!  The best part about preparing for future success is you can do it indefinitely.  Lets stick with the problem we know rather than roll the dice with post season losses.

OK but the only place we are going to the playoffs in, playing like we have been, is in your mind. That is where we disagree. We were on the fast track to nowhere and the mirage blew up. That is how I see it anyway.

How about we wait and see how Peterman does before we decide they have made an error?

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

If the season ended today, we're in the playoffs.  For the first time in 17 years, we're in.  And you and the rest of the unwashed masses espouse making winning this year a tertiary goal behind the 2018 draft and evaluating players for next year?  How many winning seasons are you willing to sacrifice for the POSSIBILITY of future winning seasons?  Are winning seasons and playoff berths worth more in the future? 

Guess what?  The season doesn't end today and they don't award playoff berths based on what you're doing on November 15th.

Leave Tyrod in as starter and we win, probably, 2 more games all year.

If you haven't noticed, this team has been dismantled and the people running it are looking to the future, not this season or the failed decisions of past Bills losers.

So out goes Tyrod and in comes Peterman.

8 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

You sound like a disgruntled season ticket holder.

:lol:

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Interesting.

The highest "approximate career value"?  :lol: 

In other words, "the only one who's been given 38 starts despite showing repeatedly he's the same QB he was in college and offers absolutely zero upside".

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Guess what?  The season doesn't end today and they don't award playoff berths based on what you're doing on November 15th.

Leave Tyrod in as starter and we win, probably, 2 more games all year.

If you haven't noticed, this team has been dismantled and the people running it are looking to the future, not this season or the failed decisions of past Bills losers.

So out goes Tyrod and in comes Peterman.

You sound like a disgruntled season ticket holder.

:lol:

I suppose I don't share your enjoyment of losing year after year. 

I guess I'm one of those weird people who when up by a 3 strokes on the 12th hole doesn't turn in my card and prepare for hopefully playing as well next round.   But you guys do you.

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Goff was in trouble you could see it early on. Oh, wait.

I disagree that you can tell quickly. Plenty of younger guys look bad but see a light go on at some point.

But Tyrod's in his seventh year. It's six years and the 7 or 8 games is on top of that ... including two and a half years of starting.

Edited by Thurman#1

I'm just tired. I agree with you. This is Win-Win for McBeane.

He's good or great: Possible Franchise QB considering a rookie and room for improvement 

He sucks: We know to draft a QB high. And we have the capital to do it.

I'm just so sick of our season being over by the beginning of December or Thanksgiving. Please let it be the former, not the latter... though I still think we draft a QB high even if it's the former.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

The highest "approximate career value"?  :lol: 

In other words, "the only one who's been given 38 starts despite showing repeatedly he's the same QB he was in college and offers absolutely zero upside".

Yup. And there's a reason Veronica carefully kept it to the last ten years. He had to keep it to ten years (minus the three or four years it takes you to develop an Approximate Career Value. Because before that you have guys like Brady, Like Hasselbeck, like Romo, like Warner .... .... like Starr and Staubach and Moon. 

It doesn't happen all that often. 

But it happens.

46 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I suppose I don't share your enjoyment of losing year after year. 

I guess I'm one of those weird people who when up by a 3 strokes on the 12th hole doesn't turn in my card and prepare for hopefully playing as well next round.   But you guys do you.

Dude, we aren't turning in our cards. We're changing clubs.

You may think the new club is a bad selection. But we aren't turning in our card.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup. And there's a reason Veronica carefully kept it to the last ten years. He had to keep it to ten years (minus the three or four years it takes you to develop an Approximate Career Value. Because before that you have guys like Brady, Like Hasselbeck, like Romo, like Warner .... .... like Starr and Staubach and Moon. 

It doesn't happen all that often. 

But it happens.

Dude, we aren't turning in our cards. We're changing clubs.

You may think the new club is a bad selection. But we aren't turning in our card.

What was your OP about then?  It included nothing about what is best for next week or this season.  Your entire point was centered around next year and the draft.

So now you're suggesting its win now and its best for the future?  And it can be ours for 5 easy payments of $99.99? Is there more? I'll wait.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

What was your OP about then?  It included nothing about what is best for next week or this season.  Your entire point was centered around next year and the draft.

So now you're suggesting its win now and its best for the future?  And it can be ours for 5 easy payments of $99.99? Is there more? I'll wait.

It's not my thread. I'm not the OP. 

And I'm absolutely not suggesting that win now is their highest priority. Nor should it be. They've said from instant one that their priority is building a program that can consistently compete for titles. Which is what their priority should be. They've also said that they'll try to win this year. 

You said "turning in your card." That means quit. Walk off the course. Don't finish. It's a stupid comparison. Are they going to forfeit their remaining games? We don't even know for sure Peterman won't perform better than Tyrod.

Again, their main philosophy has these key words, as I said in my first post. "''Build.' 'Consistently.' Those are the key words. Words that aren't in there? 'Playoffs.'  Reaching the playoffs as a fodder team in a poor conference isn't a terrible thing. But it doesn't mean a whole lot either." I stand by that. If they reach the playoffs this year it won't mean much of anything to me because they shouldn't be taken seriously as a title contender. They aren't good enough. I suppose if Peterman has a first year like Marino we might be a contender but I don't expect that to happen. That doesn't mean you care absolutely nothing about what happens this year. But it does mean that you prioritize titles and competing for them consistently.

And I'm not saying losing now guarantees winning later. Or anything close to it.

I'm saying something that shouldn't be news to anybody, that building an excellent, consistent organization from a consistently poor to mediocre one takes time, and that even though it takes time that it's precisely what should be priority number one for this team. Even if they'd kept Sammy and Dareus and all the rest, they weren't winning a title this year. Not even close.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

If the season ended today, we're in the playoffs.  For the first time in 17 years, we're in.  And you and the rest of the unwashed masses espouse making winning this year a tertiary goal behind the 2018 draft and evaluating players for next year?  How many winning seasons are you willing to sacrifice for the POSSIBILITY of future winning seasons?  Are winning seasons and playoff berths worth more in the future? 

Building sustained success hold more value (to me) than barely eeeking their way in, only to be trounced in the first round.... and this just in, we aren’t a playoff team- talk to me in January 

9 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

This makes sense....It gives the Bills a chance to evaluate Peterman against real NFL teams before making the big investment in drafting a QB.  Also it allows McDermott to further evaluate Dennison's offense.  If his offense fails to generate anything with both Tyrod and Peterman (a QB that is more suited to run the offense) then I think his job as OC Is in jeopardy

How about waiting one week?

This is the game the Bills need to win (and winnable)!!!!! 

But even if TT started the game plan would have been lousy and the hope would be to win the turnover battle.

Now an unproven throwaway 5th round rookie pick in to save the season.

A complete joke.