This is why Tyrod was benched

essential

I listen to national sports talk all day at work.  When talking about Tyrod, most on-air personalities throw out all the stats that are favorable to Tyrod (low interceptions, QBR, etc).  A lot of people don’t think those stats give a true representation.

Today, most of the national media seemed to think the benching was a mistake, again citing all the stats that many don’t feel tell the full picture.  Rodak seemed to get it, but he, like us, watch all the games, and the national media doesn’t.  Anyway, during the Russillo show today they were talking about the Tyrod benching and played an audio clip from MMQB's Andy Benoit (originally on the 9/26/2017 show, when we were 2-1 and had just beaten a Broncos team that we weren’t expected to beat).  I think these quotes sum up why Tyrod was benched.

Andy Benoit:

“There will never be a stat to capture throws that should be attempted that are not attempted, and when you put on the all 22 coaches film and you see how these plays are drawn up, every game more than any other QB in the league, Tyrod Taylor’s leaving guys open on the field un-attempted.  He’s not processing, he’s not seeing, he’s not a full field progression reader, and he’s also not an anticipation thrower, that’s a bad mix, you have to really simplify the offense and build around him.  Now, they put Taylor on the move a lot which slices the field in half, now he’s only reading half the field, that’s a very specific way to play though, and the more specific you are the easier you become to game plan against.  So my guess is they’re ganna keep their eyes very much open for a quarterback, not this season, but heading into the offseason and moving forward.”

Then as a follow up on the Benoit clip, Todd McShay said:

“And I can tell you one thing, nothing will drive an offensive staff crazier than seeing something that they drew up, an opportunity for big play, and your quarterback didn’t take advantage of it, and I think that’s part of what’s going on here, and exactly what he’s saying is that, they’re getting guys open, they’re scheming the right way, they’re doing things, and he’s not seeing it, and that drives you nuts, because it makes you look bad as a coordinator, and ultimately as a head coach.”

And then Will Cain chimed in with this:

“That doesn’t show up in the numbers, it won’t even show up on a casual viewing on a Sunday, you’ll only know that when you know the game plan and what’s supposed to be happening on each individual play.”

I transcribed this myself so I might have missed a word or two here or there.  The information for the podcast is below, the entire segment is worth a listen.

If you want to hear the entire discussion it’s hour one of today’s show (11/15/2017):

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/podcast/archive/_/id/3028618

Direct mp3 link:

http://play.podtrac.com/espn-theryenrussilloshow/c.espnradio.com/audio/3425347/russillo_2017-11-15-141847.64k.mp3

Andy Benoit quote: 15:22-16:24

Full segment on Tyrod: 10:52-18:54

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 18

but, but.....those of us who said exactly what Benoit said were told by the armchairs QBs here that we don't know how to look at film. what we were seeing wasn't what we were seeing. only coaches knew what they were seeing on tape.

lmao....

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think this pretty much hits the nail on the head, probably plays in to why many think Dennison is sub-par as well. 

6 minutes ago, essential said:

they’re getting guys open, they’re scheming the right way, they’re doing things, and he’s not seeing it, and that drives you nuts, because it makes you look bad as a coordinator, and ultimately as a head coach.

• Like (+1) 1

Good info. I’m still against the benching. We could have traded him at the deadline or next year. We could have gave him a year but let him walk. This just reeks of a front office that drafted a guy and want to play him. I don’t want another staff loyal to a guy and refusing to make a change. If we don’t draft a QB next year it’ll be because of a commitment to Peterman. And if Peterman struggles the coaching staff will lose the team. Maybe Tyrod was missing open guys. But gambling a competitive season on a rookie is unforgivable if he fails. 

Tyrod is an average to above average QB. He’s David Garrard. He’s a reflection of how good the team is. In a weak AFC we can make the playoffs with him. Now I’m not sure. 

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

B-b-but Bomani Jones and Shawn King said Taylor was demoted because racism! Jones said Taylor and Kirk Cousins (3rd in the NFL in passing yards) are "very comparable as passers"!

That’s ironic considering Peterman’s comp was Cousins when he was entering the draft. 

6 minutes ago, Iraq Vet said:

This scream of ownership desperation... even though I was getting tired of TT.  It just does not feel like a coach decision.

Agreed.  I don't think McDermott would have said unequivocally that Taylor was his starter one day and then turn around and name Peterman.  Coaches don't do that kind of thing unless somebody forces them to do it.   He would have left the issue up in the air, but he didn't.  Then he does a 180 turn.  I'm sure that (his about face)  will improve the atmosphere in the locker room 300%. (That's sarcasm for the literal minded.)

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Romo was saying similar things during the Jets game as I recall 

The Bills are not built to come from behind - because of Taylor 

The guys with the actual knowledge were dismissed and the hacks were lauded 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Romo was saying similar things during the Jets game as I recall 

Hard to discern what the play call was, and if that broke down what  the next reads are when live. I see guys open any game i watch.

But Romo from the booth? thats something i would take to heart as close as opinion gets to fact.

I missed  catching the Jets game

• Thank you (+1) 1

I know McDermott said it was his decision alone and it didn't involve his other coaches. But as soon as he said that my first thought was "I wonder if he is possibly covering for Dennison (etc)."? 

I honestly wonder if Dennison was a big part of this change being made. I can't see McDermott making a change at QB without heavy input from his offensive coordinator. I wonder if Dennison came into his office and said his game plans weren't being taken advantage of with Tyrod. 

8 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Agreed.  I don't think McDermott would have said unequivocally that Taylor was his starter one day and then turn around and name Peterman.  Coaches don't do that kind of thing unless somebody forces them to do it.   He would have left the issue up in the air, but he didn't.  Then he does a 180 turn.  I'm sure that (his about face)  will improve the atmosphere in the locker room 300%. (That's sarcasm for the literal minded.)

I see the opposite. I see a good coach is one who watches the film, the game and practice and see that there were too many missed opportunities in the last 2 losses that he realized his mistake and is taking a chance at fixing it. If anything the players, especially the offence as a breathe of fresh air.

13 minutes ago, Iraq Vet said:

This scream of ownership desperation... even though I was getting tired of TT.  It just does not feel like a coach decision.

Let's hope not. Pegula's have been great for Buffalo. their knowledge of football & hockey, their seemingly easily influenced front office moves, are suspect. Terry Pegula doesn't seem like a control freak. it's hard to see him going over his new regimes head, and showing lack of trust for the process he hired them for.