Bills have a chance to be extremely innovative on offense...will they? Doubt it

Big Turk

Just now, billsfan11 said:

How did Carolina's offence look Monday night? Some of those plays sure as hell weren't "modern"

The Run Pass Option is modern Offense. 

What is being talked about here as double passes etc etc is a gimmick. 

Wont work anyway becUse play the run with Taylor he wont throw the contested pass. 

Maybe i can get on board with coming in the readzone and running some read option but that is about it

Just now, MAJBobby said:

The Run Pass Option is modern Offense. 

What is being talked about here as double passes etc etc is a gimmick. 

Wont work anyway becUse play the run with Taylor he wont throw the contested pass. 

Maybe i can get on board with coming in the readzone and running some read option but that is about it

Ok fair enough, I thought you were more referring to the read options/run pass options

OK, but let's look at the why you would want to do this even if it was a "gimmick"

1) The first team we use it against would be caught completely off guard and we could probably get a few wide open TD's from it.

2) It would force DC's to spend a comapratively large amount of time to defend this when we only use it for a comparatively small amount of plays because of the high potential for easy TDs from it.  This would mean they spend less time on stopping McCoy and/or Peterman.  Basically ONLY good things can come from putting this on film.

3) No matter how well coached a player is in the heat of the moment they are going to most likely make a bad split second decision and leave a player wide open behind them by trying to come up and make a play on Taylor.  Run this 8-10 times a game and you are almost guaranteed a wide open bomb play 1-2 times.

4) Let's say they play it perfectly.  Taylor is going to outrun most DE's and LB's to the sideline and will pick up big chunks of yards with no DB out there to make a play. 

This is the type of thinking that New England consistently employs to beat teams.  It doesn't matter what play it is, if they think it can work and work well, they use it.  Bills are not creative enough to even think of this most likely, let alone do it and that is a damn shame.  There is no valid reason why this wouldn't work, other than "it's a gimmick".  Well, the wildcat was a gimmick also and the Dolphins used it to make the playoffs that year.

14 minutes ago, simool said:

I would not get fancy with it and let him throw, but I would certainly have him penciled in as my #2 HB.

Why not?  He throws on he run as good as any QB in the NFL.  This is why people like McVay come in at a young age and do so well...they DON'T CARE what you can and can't do or are supposed to do. They look at what they have to use and what will be most effective and then they do it...and then get called "geniuses" because of it..

If nobody watched that second Woods TD last week go back and watch it..one of the most innovative play designs I've seen in a while and Woods waltzed into the EZ untouched---I'm sure that was a "gimmick" too @MAJBobby.  Luckily they don't force teams to give back TD's because of the play design....

Look at where the CB covering him ended up on the play....

Bottom line I don't care about "gimmick" or not. I care about the effectiveness of the play and how many yards and points it leads to.

Edited by matter2003

I agree with the original post and called for that myself. As TT and NP seem so different, it would be a nightmare to defend them both in the same game, whether on different plays or together on the field. Ego is such a strong thing for the QB position, though, sadly, that regardless of Dennison, it's hard to do in reality. The Steelers used these kind of "gimmicks" because they had the personal to do so!!! Adapt your schemes to your players!! The one thing I dislike about this current situation, is hearing how Tyrod wasn't a good fit for a Dennison offense. WTH! Adapt to the players you have!

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

If I were Dennison I would be putting Taylor in the game 8-10 plays as a RB and then throwing him some wide pitches or some tosses and allowing him to either run or throw downfield.  

This could really be some innovative play caling and could cause nightmares for the D if they draw it up right.  

He is obviously better than Tolbert as a runner/athlete and it adds the additional problem of him as a thrower. The DB's want to run up o tackle?  Sure, just throw it right over their heads to a streaking receiver.  

Bills could turn the NFL on it's head like the Dolphins did with the wildcat.  I doubt Dennison is creative enough to utilize it tho.

A shame really...very unique situation the Bills could have here and one that could cause defensive coordinators nightmares.

It takes a brassy set for a coaching staff to try to utilize 2 QB's.........even in the Slash Stewart way you are talking about.

If Wade could have used Flutie and Johnson strategically and intentionally that would have been extremely difficult to combat.  Only so much game planning teams can do defensively.

Two very oppositely flawed QB's but with clear strengths...........really been since Shula used Strock and Woodley to get to a SB since that's really been done.

McD is pretty arrogant......thinking he has a talented roster that should be better than 5-4 when most NFL observers are starting to see his personnel moves as at best half-cocked......so perhaps he's the one to try it?   I'd love to see THAT.  

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Its a gimmick. How many good teams run gimmick offenses  

KC and Philly both run plenty of run throw options (even run/run/throw options.) Not exactly what the OP was suggesting but it's been proven very effective this year.

I mean picture this play in your mind and tell me it wouldn't work...

Peterman pitches out left to Taylor who takes about 2 steps that way and then stops, waggles back to the right on a bootleg with Clay dragging from the opposite side as an intermediate target and then Thompson/Matthews/Benjamin running a deep crosser starting from the left to the right...

Almost guaranteed one of those players will be open for huge yardage...

4 minutes ago, MDH said:

KC and Philly both run plenty of run throw options (even run/run/throw options.) Not exactly what the OP was suggesting but it's been proven very effective this year.

My point is we have a very unique situation here that most teams don't. We have a very athletic, mobile QB who can pick up yards on the ground and can also VERY effectively throw deep downfield on the run.  With teams gameplanning for Peterson, why wouldn't you put these type of plays in there to try and pick up some easy big plays??  So the coverage holds up....the DBs are going to be way downfield and Taylor can pick up yards on the ground and go out of bounds

Edited by matter2003