Boldest move since benching Flutie

row_33

1 minute ago, simool said:

And it should not have come down to a screw job by the officials, Rob was crap that game.  My left testicle could have played better than him.

That was a great game featuring two very good defenses.

When I think Flutie and playoffs I think of interceptions in the Endzone and walking off the field a Loser.

10 minutes ago, simool said:

Well according to what he did that season, the facts say he was a winner.  According to what surfer boy did that season, the facts say he was a wannabe. In fact, Rob Johnson never did ANYTHING.  EVER.  You are obviously hooked on the Rob juice.

Flutie had that .000 success in playoff games, even when HANDED the 86 Bears, but they despised him, something about an unfortunate remark to Willie Gault that would get him hanged in the current environment...

86 Bears hated Flutie so much that when Dexter Manley in the playoffs charged through offside, whistles and all, and took Flutie to the ground, not a single Bear helped him up or even thought a bad thing at Dexter.

they had good taste.

Rodeo clown was better. 

It was like forcing everyone to have to agree to accept him on the field, totally unheard of in the NFL as he got 8 chances he never deserved.

and people still worship him...  :D:D:D:D

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

I think both moves were best for the franchise, surprised they did this current one though.

I dont know that I would go that far.  Benching Flutie doesn't really compare to this.  They traded and invested big in Rob Johnson, and injury opened the door for a Vet that was doing a solid, yet not spectacular job.  But despite not being over whelming, Flutie was leading the teams to wins and Rob had not played in a while and had not proven much on the field yet.  So to hand the ball back to him for a playoff game and risk upsetting what was working is quite a bit more shocking to me.

TT came into this season playing for his job, he started his season on the hot seat and had a young rookie who showed promise that was drafted by this regime learning in the mean time.  With him struggling so bad last week and the kid show casing a huge difference in getting the ball out fast, its not that big of a shock to me as our road to playoff already seemed like a long shot with the way the team has played the last few weeks.  

So, I don't see it that bold, I even predicted in the preseason that the most likely time for a QB switch would be around week 10 if TT had not silenced the doubts and secured the job.  

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

That was a great game featuring two very good defenses.

When I think Flutie and playoffs I think of interceptions in the Endzone and walking off the field a Loser.

The 1999 Titans D was 25th in passing yards allowed, 27th in passing yards given up, and 20th in net yards/attempt allowed. They were 15th in points allowed and 17th in yards allowed.  Yet Rob Johnson was 10-22 for 131 yards passing and took 6 sacks.

The 1998 Miami defense was 1st in points allowed, 3rd in yards allowed, 1st in INTs, and 3rd in NY/A. 

Yet Flutie lit them up like an Xmas tree (21/36 for 360 yards and 4 rushes for 29 yards) and Moulds had a career day (despite fumbling a perfectly thrown bomb that he had caught and which probably cost the Bills 7 points and hence the game). 

Let's stick to the facts.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

The 1999 Titans D was 25th in passing yards allowed, 27th in passing yards given up, and 20th in net yards/attempt allowed. They were 15th in points allowed and 17th in yards allowed. 

The 1998 Miami defense was 1st in points allowed, 3rd in yards allowed, 1st in INTs, and 3rd in NY/A. 

Yet Flutie lit them up like an Xmas tree (21/36 for 360 yards and 4 rushes for 29 yards) and Moulds had a career day (despite fumbling a perfectly thrown bomb that he had caught and which probably cost the Bills 7 points and hence the game). 

Let's stick to the facts.

Score board = L

That’s a fact.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Score board = L

That’s a fact.

"Scoreboard" is a weak way to argue. Look at the context and consider that football is a game with 22 moving parts on any play. Flutie did enough to win against a far superior opponent than the 1999 TN D; Johnson performed horribly against a middling defense.

Edited by dave mcbride

Hmmmmm, is there a co-relation between worshiping Doug Flutie and demanding that Tyrod stay in ?

Doctor?

the announcement today and Flutie's benching caused me to stop still and my eyes went real wide and i was shocked, has happened maybe 5 times in 40 years over sports

then i started smiling over the pure justice of it all

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Hmmmmm, is there a co-relation between worshiping Doug Flutie and demanding that Tyrod stay in ?

Doctor?

the announcement today and Flutie's benching caused me to stop still and my eyes went real wide and i was shocked, has happened maybe 5 times in 40 years over sports

then i started smiling over the pure justice of it all

Who is worshipping Flutie? He was a decent QB for the Bills who had major limitations in his game but also brought some real assets to the table.  Johnson, on the other hand is the most sacked QB in league history and had well over twice the sack rate of Flutie while in Buffalo playing behind the same line. He stunk, as his subsequent career proved. There is a reason he was a fourth round pick despite being one of the most gifted throwers coming out of college in the mid-1990s: he lost three times each to ND and UCLA despite playing behind Tony Boselli and throwing to three WRs who have fringe-NFL hall of fame stats: Keyshawn Johnson, Johnny Morton, and Curtis Conway. All were first rounders and all had 500+ career receptions. Yet Johnson choked six times against what at the time were inferior opponents. I lived in LA at the time, and trust me, he choked.

Edited by dave mcbride

26 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Benching Flutie was the dumbest move in franchise history. I'm not saying past is prelude, however.

Yup. Maybe you move on after the season but it was awful karma.  Sports media would have exploded today if that happened. 

It also hilarious how people forget how much RJ sucked in the Titans game.  He’s the worst.

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Boldest move since benching EJ.

The only thing that makes me feel better about the move is they are replacing a limited veteran for the young qb, which was the opposite of the EJ One.

i just think the timing sucks and he looks like a liar for what he said after the game. I guess character doesn’t apply to the coaches.

2 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

Not against the #1 defense in 1999 plus Flutie magic.

Dont forget that our o-line was hurting if i recall. Fina was hanging on by a thread, Hicks as well... We should have won of course but that was as far as we were going. Yet Flutie never should have been benched. Good old Ralph...

Rob Johnson's playoff performance included a fumble and also a safety.  The 131 yards still surprises me, though very TT like in completing 13 yard passes when it was 3rd & 15 (at least 3 times).

Fortunately LAC has the worst home fans in football, but the Chargers are no pushovers.  

This is a must win and putting Peterman in is grasping at straws imo.  Follow that up with Chiefs on the road & then NE, I have no idea why worst case he could have been put in the last 4 games.

If the Bills lose this week, the season is over and asking a rookie to save the season is foolhardy.