You can't quit on a 5-4 season

row_33

17 minutes ago, simool said:

Personally it matters very little if we make the playoffs.  If we do, we are just going to get bounced in the first game and I will be able to login in here and read about how everything this team does is wrong.  Pfft.  Screw that, I am fine with them clearing the decks and hopefully fixing this mess from the ground up.  It won't happen overnight.

I dont agree with you at all......if we make the playoffs and get bounced that is def a  step in the right direction

25 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

But...third times a charm?

0-9

5 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

I dont agree with you at all......if we make the playoffs and get bounced that is def a  step in the right direction

Apparently some fans expect that mythical Bills Super Bowl team to materialize from thin air.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Like A Mofo said:

Although I agree no way you can give up on a 5-4 season I think it is an absolute must the Bills win Sunday if they want to get that 6th WC spot.

They need to prepare for this game as if it's a playoff game. If they lose a third in a row and the potential tie breaker in multiple scenarios they fall into the patronizing 'in the hunt' at the bottom of the list of .500 teams

2 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Ravens will take the 6 spot with an outside chance to the Raiders

Raiders have virtually no chance. They play NE, @KC, DAL and @ PHI in the remaining 7 games. They already have 5 losses. Not sure how they even get to 8-8 with that schedule.

The Ravens, on the other hand, I can see getting the final spot with an 8-8 record. Unless the Bills can actually get to 9 wins (unlikely) they'll lose a tiebreaker to the Ravens based on conference record. That's if the Bills even get to 8 wins, which I'm not sure they do. 7-9 seems like a good bet at this point.

We can't quit on this season. We have the 2nd best chance to get to playoffs. Ravens might suck rest of the way you never know. Look at their schedules.

17 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Yes agree. It just starts to create an entirely different mindset on the team and coaching staff. Winning starts here: 

pointing-at-head-guy.jpg

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

As much as I'd like to tear it up and start on 2018, they aren't going to dump Tyrod and a chance at a playoff run (even if it is pathetic) until it is proven over.

And anyone collecting a paycheck from the Bills knows just as much as the fans how dire this is looking.

I would put for that "quitting on a 5-4 season" means retaining Tyrod as the starter.

That decision will lead to a predictable outcome in which we don't make the playoffs.

Working like crazy to keep the season alive means playing Peterman at this point.

I do not think the coaching staff understands this however.

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I would put for that "quitting on a 5-4 season" means retaining Tyrod as the starter.

That decision will lead to a predictable outcome in which we don't make the playoffs.

Working like crazy to keep the season alive means playing Peterman at this point.

I do not think the coaching staff understands this however.

I understand you, but that's not going to happen.

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

As much as I'd like to tear it up and start on 2018, they aren't going to dump Tyrod and a chance at a playoff run (even if it is pathetic) until it is proven over.

And anyone collecting a paycheck from the Bills knows just as much as the fans how dire this is looking.

I’m sure they aren’t quitting.. There’re just not good enough 

Just now, row_33 said:

I understand you, but that's not going to happen.

Right; like I said the coaching staff doesn't get it.

They will play Tyrod until we are mathematically eliminated, which is a real shame and a waste of good, real football games with which we could be evaluating Peterman.

7 minutes ago, PABillsfan23 said:

I’m sure they aren’t quitting.. There’re just not good enough 

Dumping Tyrod at this point in time would be quitting on a season that is still in the playoffs, no matter how much a lot of us would wish it to happen.

You take away or slow down opposing offenses by taking away their receivers and in some cases causing the QB to make mistakes, therefore causing more TO's. Gaines is the missing link to this puzzle. We get him back, it will make a hellava difference to this defense. They started playing like crap when he went down, Char'reese Wright is not the answer.

4 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

Amen you gotta make the playoffs before you can win in them.  It would he something to build on as opposed to ANOTHER rebuild.

Preferring to lose is just a loser mentality no matter how you slice it.

7 hours ago, njbuff said:

Have you seen them play the last two weeks?

We as fans don't have to give up on the season, cause the team already has.

They have brought back the Rex Ryan rush D and the don't EVER sniff the opposing QB.

if that isn't a sign of a team that hasn't quit, I don't know what to tell you.

And I know yardage isn't the most important factor in winning games, but it does establish a pattern of what kinda team they are. And the Bills have been outgained in EIGHT STRAIGHT GAMES...... and some games very badly. Let that sink in folks.

Let's follow your team quit theory a little bit.  

If indeed they quit, it wasn't when they were 5-4.  they had quit the week before, but not at 5-3. They quit when they were 5-2 and all over the process. Who does that?  Makes no sense.

Not buying the quit theory. 

We're 9 games into a new regime. There will be ups and downs as here already has been.  I just hope for more ups than downs.

4 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Let's follow your team quit theory a little bit.  

If indeed they quit, it wasn't when they were 5-4.  they had quit the week before, but not at 5-3. They quit when they were 5-2 and all over the process. Who does that?  Makes no sense.

Not buying the quit theory. 

We're 9 games into a new regime. There will be ups and downs as here already has been.  I just hope for more ups than downs.

....and what exactly would be the benefit of quitting?....teach McD a "lesson"?.......hand out crying towels in the locker room?......solidify gainful (COUGH) employment in Buffalo next year?.....or hope a sympathetic GM from the other 31 says, "yup don't blame you...QUITTERS do prosper.....here's 20 mil guaranteed to sign with us".......Jesus, the fickle get fickler with some of this excrement..........

I think people are saying the team quit, because for the last 2 games.. They looked completely out matched in every possible phase.  In fact, they looked so bad, it had all the appearance of players not even trying.  Because lets be honest.. .you have to almost willfully do something to be so bad that you only have 56yds of passing, or give up a 94yd touchdown drive all with runs.  

I don't think the players gave up.  I just think the FO has completely shred this team of talent and has been using it as a season long try out.  Look no futher than the mess that is the offensive line, for evidence that the coaching staff is using this season as a means to evaluate talent as opposed to try and win games.  They got lucky a few times, sure.  But now the league has caught up to them and the results aren't pretty.  

The only thing I can't figure out is why this FO ans coaching staff is so inept that they need to waste an entire season to learn how to do their jobs.  The inability of this franchise to field a professional football team is beyond reason at this point.   

Edited by Dan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Dan said:

I think people are saying the team quit, because for the last 2 games.. They looked completely out matched in every possible phase.  In fact, they looked so bad, it had all the appearance of players not even trying.  Because lets be honest.. .you have to almost willfully do something to be so bad that you only have 56yds of passing, or give up a 94yd touchdown drive all with runs.  

I don't think the players gave up.  I just think the FO has completely shred this team of talent and has been using it as a season long try out.  Look no futher than the mess that is the offensive line, for evidence that the coaching staff is using this season as a means to evaluate talent as opposed to try and win games.  They got lucky a few times, sure.  But now the league has caught up to them and the results aren't pretty.  

The only thing I can't figure out is why this FO ans coaching staff is so inept that they need to waste an entire season to learn how to do their jobs.  The inability of this franchise to field a professional football team is beyond reason at this point.   

Well said, sir.  The Bills have been heading for a melt-down since the beginning of the season.  A combination of luck, opponents that are not as good as they appeared to be, and the lack of film for opponents to analyze enabled them to mask their worse issues but the manure has finally hit the proverbial fan. 

IMO, Dareus was the key to a house of cards ... even if he wasn't playing as much as he should/could for whatever reason, he was enough of a force to at least hold back the worst of the defensive disaster.  Without him, all the deficiencies on the DL against the run were exposed because there was no longer anybody to force teams to use double teams on obvious running downs.

As for the offense, I think it comes back to two things: continued issues with the OL, lack of talent at WR capable of stretching the field, and very conservative play calling by the OC.  Taylor isn't a QB from the wild and woolly 70s or 80s who calls his own plays.  I'm not even sure how much he's allowed to audible.  Good defensive teams -- or hungry divisional rivals like the Jests -- know that the Bills need to get their run game going and that they don't have any downfield WRs -- so they put 8 in the box to stop the run and limit yards on check downs -- and they're successful, the Bills are toast

During the 5-2 run, the Bills as a team bought into the McDermott philosophy -- and, according to the company line, those who didn't were kicked to the curb.   The problem is that mind/will/desire does not have an infinite capability to top matter, ie talent.  Will cannot make a slow player faster.  It can't make a player with average football instincts and skills play like the best player at that position in the league.  It can't make a smaller player able to stop a bigger player when all else is equal.  The laws of physics apply on the football field just like in the rest of the universe.  A team without much talent on both sides of the ball -- which is the Bills thanks to various FO moves in 2017 -- isn't going to have much success against a team with significantly more talent no matter how much they want it.  In a few freakish instances they might get lucky and win a game, but not many.  That's where the Bills are.  It's likely that teams like KC and NE will lay more ugly losses on them.  I have no idea if the team will quit on McDermott.  I don't think it has happened yet, but how many more losses like Sunday can the team absorb before they do?

Dan, in answer to your last point,  I said back in TC that this regime bore a strong resemblance to the Jauron regime, and while I think McDermott is a significantly better coach than Jauron, the resemblance to the Jauron debacle in 2008 seems even stronger now.