THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Horrible

Shaw66

The Rockpile Review – by Shaw66

Horrible

No words adequately describe the Bills’ loss to the Saints.

Embarrassing.

Ugly.

Amateurish.

Outclassed isn’t nearly strong enough.   The Saints aren’t in a different class; they are in a different galaxy from where the Bills have been loitering lately.  

I’d like to write a column about what the Bills did well on Sunday, but there isn’t a column’s worth of material.   I mean, besides having the correct number of players on the field for most plays, what did the Bills do out there for three hours?.

Breaking news:  Our sources tell us Kelvin Benjamin filed an emergency appeal with the NFL office on Sunday night, asking to have his trade to the Bills rescinded.  Benjamin explained that the trade must be voided because he lied to the Bills’ doctors during his physical.   He claims he failed to disclose that he has a rare genetic disorder that will cause him to be unable to run or jump after his 27th birthday in February. The response was brief:   “Dear Benjie – Your nose is growing.   Sorry, you’ve gotta stay in Buffalo.  Yours, Roger”

Careful observers understood that the game was over after the Saints first play in the first quarter.   Brees noticed the Bills’ defense had not yet taken the field, demanded the ball and threw a slant pass to a WIDE OPEN Michael Thomas for 13 yards.   Okay, the Bills were actually on the field, but it didn’t look that way to Brees.

And so it went, all afternoon.   The Bills gave the Saints openings, big openings, really big openings, and Brees took them.   First downs were the candy, and the Bills were the baby.

I suppose some assistant assistant coach, some little lizard stayed up late Sunday night, studying the film and cataloging every way the Saints took apart the Bills, play by play, position by position, but to what end?   GEICO totals your car when the cost of repairing all of the damage exceeds the value of the car before the accident.   All the Bills’ gecko could do Sunday night was examine the heap and shake his head.

I mean, really, what is there to say when you’re looking at a total wreck?

Fun Fact:   Nick O’Leary is Tom Watson’s brother.

I look back at the game, and all I can think is no one did anything.   They sprang Shady on one long run.  Yay.

Taylor did nothing.   I can’t complain about Taylor much.  Fans near me said he had Benjamin open deep up the left sideline in the second quarter and dumped the ball off short.  I didn’t see it.   But when I was watching receivers, no one was open.  The Bills take what the defense gives them, and all they were given all day was the 6-yard dump off over the middle once in a while. 

He could have thrown better to Clay, but it was good enough that the interception wasn’t on him. 

The Saints say they kept Taylor in the pocket all game.   They can take credit if they want, but so far as I could tell, the Bills didn’t try to get Taylor outside the pocket.  

Some passes, like slants, don’t require much timing or familiarity between passer and receiver.   Some, like fades, back shoulder throws and out patterns, do.   Taylor targeted his brand new receiver, the guy Taylor has had the least amount of time to work with, three times.   One slant for a completion.  One out and one deep fade.   Result: one completion and two incompletions where the timing was clearly off.   Whose idea was that?   It was remarkably stupid play selection.

It wasn’t so much that Taylor was bad; it was that nothing he did was good.

Let’s see now.  The Bills had no business being on the same field with the Saints.   The Bills beat Denver and Atlanta soundly, and Denver and Atlanta beat Dallas.  So does that mean the Browns can beat the Cowboys? 

I’m dead serious:  does anyone think the Bills would have beaten the Browns on Sunday? 

“PLAYOFFS!!!??!!!   PLAYOFFS!!!!??!??

Then, of course, there was the defense.  I was really glad to be at New Era on Sunday, because I got to see NFL history.   The ten-play 94-yard drive was one of the most amazing things I’ve seen on a football field.   Do the math – that’s 9.4 yards per carry in a sustained drive.   That’s incredible.   How did it happen?   The cliché is a warm knife through butter.   That’s as good an explanation as any.   I was SO glad that Brees didn’t throw it on that last play.   It was special when he ran for the TD.

Of course, from the Bills point of view, it wasn’t special.  It was total humiliation.  

Maybe it was the right long-term move, but unloading Dareus left the Bills powerless to stop runs up the middle.   Preston Brown was useless against the run on Sunday, solidly blocked time and again by linemen who weren’t needed to double-team anyone on the Bills’ defensive line. 

The pass defense wasn’t much better, but it didn’t need to be.  Brees took enough of what he wanted, and he let his running backs do the best.

I rarely leave games early.   I did on Sunday.   I stayed to watch Peterman’s debut.  After his five and out, I’d seen enough and headed for home.   After all, what could be left to see?   Six or seven New Orleans runs as the clock ran out, right?   (Plus, in the car I could listen to Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins and Nickell Robey Coleman beat the Texans.)

So I missed the Peterman fireworks.   How was I to know that the Saints would score on two plays?   (Oh, I guess I should have known.  Or did the Bills let them score to give Peterman another chance?)

So did Peterman actually look good, or was he just taking what the Saints were giving him?   I have to believe that he was throwing against a soft defense, but whatever it was, he got the touchdown.  Peterman would have done nothing to change the beat down in the first 58 minutes.  

It was inevitable that the Peterman drumbeat would begin seconds after the final whistle.   And it was inevitable that McDermott would say on Monday that Taylor is his starter. 

The NFL is said to be considering a long-overdue realignment of divisions to take advantage of natural rivalries.  Although the plan isn’t complete, sources say one of the divisions will include the Browns, 49ers, Giants and Bills. 

Two weeks ago, Sean McDermott was a front runner for NFL coach of the year. 

If he can turn this around, he’s the coach of the century.

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The Saints say they kept Taylor in the pocket all game.   They can take credit if they want, but so far as I could tell, the Bills didn’t try to get Taylor outside the pocket. 

Good write-up again, Shaw.

I have to believe this is Dennison trying to drill it into Tyrod to stay in the pocket and make quick passes.  Problem is that this is not the type of QB Tyrod is; just look at last season, he prefers to not stay in the pocket.  In the pocket, Tyrod holds on to the ball too long and does not trust the route or receivers.  Dennison is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, kind of like what Rex did last year with the D.  Not a new take, I know, but still applicable.

I think at this point, if Tyrod is the starting QB like McDermott insists, the offensive game plan needs to change in a major way.  More play action and scrambling, and less pocket passing, which will allow Tyrod to do what he does best.  Right now, I see Dennison's offense and Tyrod's abilities as being completely incompatible.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I have to believe this is Dennison trying to drill it into Tyrod to stay in the pocket and make quick passes.  Problem is that this is not the type of QB Tyrod is; just look at last season, he prefers to not stay in the pocket.  In the pocket, Tyrod holds on to the ball too long and does not trust the route or receivers.  Dennison is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, kind of like what Rex did last year with the D.  Not a new take, I know, but still applicable.

I think at this point, if Tyrod is the starting QB like McDermott insists, the offensive game plan needs to change in a major way.  More play action and scrambling, and less pocket passing, which will allow Tyrod to do what he does best.  Right now, I see Dennison's offense and Tyrod's abilities as being completely incompatible.

The Jets (Pryor) and Saints (Jordan) both told us that their game plan was to keep Tyrod in the pocket and make him be a QB. We've heard this in previous seasons as well.

If that's how the Bills are going to be played, they're in big trouble because Taylor isn't effective in that role. If we fall behind and the defense knows he's passing, we're screwed and need to be turning to the backup QB. 

Pretty much sums it up in an atomic explosion that was last weekend.......Question is can they actually rebound in a week?  My biggest concern as a fan is the run defence that we seen last 2 games.......no words..

7 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Of course, we don't know what Dennison is thinking or trying to do, but I agree with your point of view.   I've often thought that Brees is a good model for Taylor.  Yesterday was a good example.   The Saints don't form a pocket for Brees, so that he is free to move around back there.  I think Taylor needs deeper drops, so the DEs can't loop around him and contain him.  

30 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Breaking news:  Our sources tell us Kelvin Benjamin filed an emergency appeal with the NFL office on Sunday night, asking to have his trade to the Bills rescinded.  Benjamin explained that the trade must be voided because he lied to the Bills’ doctors during his physical.   He claims he failed to disclose that he has a rare genetic disorder that will cause him to be unable to run or jump after his 27th birthday in February. The response was brief:   “Dear Benjie – Your nose is growing.   Sorry, you’ve gotta stay in Buffalo.  Yours, Roge

Is this true?

• Haha (+1) 1

Great write up. Nothing went well for the boys this weekend. Did anyone else catch the fan throw his beer at Ingram or whomever it was that jumped into the stands. I am in 138 and it was 1-2 sections over from me. Something like that in Canada would make National headlines for 6 months (see Ken Pagan)

33 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The Rockpile Review – by Shaw66

Horrible

No words adequately describe the Bills’ loss to the Saints.

Embarrassing.

Ugly.

Amateurish.

Outclassed isn’t nearly strong enough.   The Saints aren’t in a different class; they are in a different galaxy from where the Bills have been loitering lately.  

I’d like to write a column about what the Bills did well on Sunday, but there isn’t a column’s worth of material.   I mean, besides having the correct number of players on the field for most plays, what did the Bills do out there for three hours?.

Breaking news:  Our sources tell us Kelvin Benjamin filed an emergency appeal with the NFL office on Sunday night, asking to have his trade to the Bills rescinded.  Benjamin explained that the trade must be voided because he lied to the Bills’ doctors during his physical.   He claims he failed to disclose that he has a rare genetic disorder that will cause him to be unable to run or jump after his 27th birthday in February. The response was brief:   “Dear Benjie – Your nose is growing.   Sorry, you’ve gotta stay in Buffalo.  Yours, Roger”

Careful observers understood that the game was over after the Saints first play in the first quarter.   Brees noticed the Bills’ defense had not yet taken the field, demanded the ball and threw a slant pass to a WIDE OPEN Michael Thomas for 13 yards.   Okay, the Bills were actually on the field, but it didn’t look that way to Brees.

And so it went, all afternoon.   The Bills gave the Saints openings, big openings, really big openings, and Brees took them.   First downs were the candy, and the Bills were the baby.

I suppose some assistant assistant coach, some little lizard stayed up late Sunday night, studying the film and cataloging every way the Saints took apart the Bills, play by play, position by position, but to what end?   GEICO totals your car when the cost of repairing all of the damage exceeds the value of the car before the accident.   All the Bills’ gecko could do Sunday night was examine the heap and shake his head.

I mean, really, what is there to say when you’re looking at a total wreck?

Fun Fact:   Nick O’Leary is Tom Watson’s brother.

I look back at the game, and all I can think is no one did anything.   They sprang Shady on one long run.  Yay.

Taylor did nothing.   I can’t complain about Taylor much.  Fans near me said he had Benjamin open deep up the left sideline in the second quarter and dumped the ball off short.  I didn’t see it.   But when I was watching receivers, no one was open.  The Bills take what the defense gives them, and all they were given all day was the 6-yard dump off over the middle once in a while. 

He could have thrown better to Clay, but it was good enough that the interception wasn’t on him. 

Some passes, like slants, don’t require much timing or familiarity between passer and receiver.   Some, like fades, back shoulder throws and out patterns, do.   Taylor targeted his brand new receiver, the guy Taylor has had the least amount of time to work with, three times.   One slant for a completion.  One out and one deep fade.   Result: one completion and two incompletions where the timing was clearly off.   Whose idea was that?   It was remarkably stupid play selection.

It wasn’t so much that Taylor was bad; it was that nothing he did was good.

Let’s see now.  The Bills had no business being on the same field with the Saints.   The Bills beat Denver and Atlanta soundly, and Denver and Atlanta beat Dallas.  So does that mean the Browns can beat the Cowboys? 

I’m dead serious:  does anyone think the Bills would have beaten the Browns on Sunday? 

“PLAYOFFS!!!??!!!   PLAYOFFS!!!!??!??

Then, of course, there was the defense.  I was really glad to be at New Era on Sunday, because I got to see NFL history.   The ten-play 94-yard drive was one of the most amazing things I’ve seen on a football field.   Do the math – that’s 9.4 yards per carry in a sustained drive.   That’s incredible.   How did it happen?   The cliché is a warm knife through butter.   That’s as good an explanation as any.   I was SO glad that Brees didn’t throw it on that last play.   It was special when he ran for the TD.

Of course, from the Bills point of view, it wasn’t special.  It was total humiliation.  

Maybe it was the right long-term move, but unloading Dareus left the Bills powerless to stop runs up the middle.   Preston Brown was useless against the run on Sunday, solidly blocked time and again by linemen who weren’t needed to double-team anyone on the Bills’ defensive line. 

The pass defense wasn’t much better, but it didn’t need to be.  Brees took enough of what he wanted, and he let his running backs do the best.

I rarely leave games early.   I did on Sunday.   I stayed to watch Peterman’s debut.  After his five and out, I’d seen enough and headed for home.   After all, what could be left to see?   Six or seven New Orleans runs as the clock ran out, right?   (Plus, in the car I could listen to Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins and Nickell Robey Coleman beat the Texans.)

So I missed the Peterman fireworks.   How was I to know that the Saints would score on two plays?   (Oh, I guess I should have known.  Or did the Bills let them score to give Peterman another chance?)

So did Peterman actually look good, or was he just taking what the Saints were giving him?   I have to believe that he was throwing against a soft defense, but whatever it was, he got the touchdown.  Peterman would have done nothing to change the beat down in the first 58 minutes.  

It was inevitable that the Peterman drumbeat would begin seconds after the final whistle.   And it was inevitable that McDermott would say on Monday that Taylor is his starter. 

The NFL is said to be considering a long-overdue realignment of divisions to take advantage of natural rivalries.  Although the plan isn’t complete, sources say one of the divisions will include the Browns, 49ers, Giants and Bills. 

Two weeks ago, Sean McDermott was a front runner for NFL coach of the year. 

If he can turn this around, he’s the coach of the century.

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

Too funny and accurate...

+1

I'm not sure I agree with the assertion that Peterman wouldn't have done anything more than Taylor in the first 58 minutes.  Taylor has a skillset that hasn't been utilized much this year.  Peterman we will find out is a better passing QB but if Taylor is allowed or willing to create with his legs then he becomes the superior one, too bad that hasn't happened with the game in doubt the last two weeks.

Peterman looked good. Yeah, the defense was soft, but it was against Taylor for the last quarter and a half too. At least Peterman got it down the field.

But if I were a coach looking for wins, I'd keep Taylor as the starter too.

For now.

It was relatively easy for Peterman against a defense that practiced combating Tyrod's tendencies and not Peterman's Yet another defense saying in the postgame interviews that they made Tyrod play QB. And with Peterman's style, that's probably not an effective defensive strategy.

But he did look better.

Thanks for the review, Shaw.

Edited by Thurman#1

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Good write up and to no surprise the subject is about Tyrod from the posters who replied above.... While Tyrod had an awful game the defense was equally bad and has been for two straight weeks... Tyrod just decided to join the party. Almost allowed 300 yards rushing. 300 yards.

Same defense that let the offensive powerhouse New York Jets run for almost 200. 

The Dareus trade IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEASON AT 4-2 was !@#$ing idiotic.

To be fair, I'm not sure retaining Dareus would lead to that playoff berth. A lot of other things would've had to keep happening, too: cray turnover differential, offense putting up 21+ points at least per game, no injuries to Shady or anymore players really at all, etc.

Does it leave a hole in our run defense now? Sure. Was it the only problem? No.

In case anyone was wondering, that's not sustainable for this team. That being said, let's keep with the roller coaster and win out!

1 minute ago, yungmack said:

I sort of figured you'd just write "horrible" and leave it at that, take the night off.

I seriously considered doing exactly that.   

I really meant it when I said there's nothing to say that's why I wrote some of the stupid stuff I wrote.  

while i'll sign the dennison sucks petition, i will not listen to the ...oohhh they didin't use tyrod's strengths and roll him out...bla,bla,bla.

well i saw tyrod leave the pocket and all i saw was him counting the shoelaces of whatever defender was in front of him, all the while someone...insert possible receiver...was and/or were doing jumping jacks somewhere but albeit in tt's field of vision. my opinion you ask?...i'm as done with the tt experiment as much as i was done with the e.j. experiment,,,only difference being that i admit to getting suckered into thinking someone could coach him up.

so...done. if he lays an egg in la, our season is officially over and save me the math. the only qb on this roster capable of possibly saving this season is np. btw ,he was drafted a round before our franchise tyrod whose now in his...th year?