New Bills Regimes - do teams eventually figure out how to beat us?

Does anyone think that our good starts with new regimes / philosophies / schemes are based upon teams not "figuring us out" because there's not a lot of tape on us yet?  And that eventually, they do figure us out, and our marginal talent can't beat decent teams "straight up"? 

I truly hope that this isn't the case and that this staff / front office is really competent and beginning to transform the culture.  However, it seemed like the Jets defensive scheme of lining up their d-line wide and the delayed blitzes neutralized a lot of what the offense is predicated on.

I suppose that time will tell, and I hope I'm wrong.

Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, All I Need is Hope said:

Does anyone think that our good starts with new regimes / philosophies / schemes are based upon teams not "figuring us out" because there's not a lot of tape on us yet?  And that eventually, they do figure us out, and our marginal talent can't beat decent teams "straight up"? 

I truly hope that this isn't the case and that this staff / front office is really competent and beginning to transform the culture.  However, it seemed like the Jets defensive scheme of lining up their d-line wide and the delayed blitzes neutralized a lot of what the offense is predicated on.

Thoughts?

It's definitely been a factor........changes of coaches or just scheme.....and there have been MANY...... have helped the Bills early in numerous seasons during the drought.

This years team benefitted a lot from new looks........now teams are adjusting and that's when you need the talent to withstand those adjustments as well as the quality of coaching to adapt.

In recent years the talent hasn't been an issue.........the coaching has.........but this year they are clearly less talented than during the Rex years so it's a legit concern.

Probabiliy a legitimate effect.  But, this team is better coached and organized than any since the Marv Levy days.  So, the scouting book is a legit idea...and does apply, but I am thinking that its not  as big a deal as in the transition during other regimes.

Edited by bigK14094

8 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

It’s not that hard to figure out.

Force Tyrod to be a pocket passer, and the offense becomes one-dimensional.

The offence has been bad all year. If anything it is slightly improving.

I think the book is more out on how to play offence against the Bills.

1. Don't turn the ball over and beat yourself

2. Attack the LBS in the passing game

3. Spread them out 

The jets didn't necessarily spread them out as they ran the ball effectively, but TB executed number 2 and 3 to perfection. Their problem was they didn't protect the ball

Edited by billsfan11

1 minute ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

It’s not that hard to figure out.

Force Tyrod to be a pocket passer, and the offense becomes one-dimensional.

What dimension is that?

The anti-Tyrod crowd has turned into a random cliche generator.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Not anti Tyrod at all, that’s just what the Jets did and that’s pretty much how you handle TT.

Forces us into a grind it out run game, which we seemed better at last season. Tolbert is not the viable depth we had last year either.

39 minutes ago, All I Need is Hope said:

Thoughts?

Sometimes game plans work, sometimes they don't. Turnovers, missed opportunities, bad matchups....all goes into each game. I think we are a well coached team, what usually wins out in the end is talent. We'll see what kind of talent we have as we go forward. I'm not worried about teams learning our 'schemes' . There aren't really any surprises in the games, it's execution.

49 minutes ago, All I Need is Hope said:

Thoughts?

The line has struggled all year with stunts and delays from what I've seen.  I'm surprised we haven't seen more in past weeks. 

Maybe we have and I don't know what I'm talking about.

Edited by Jauronimo

8 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Not anti Tyrod at all, that’s just what the Jets did and that’s pretty much how you handle TT.

Forces us into a grind it out run game, which we seemed better at last season. Tolbert is not the viable depth we had last year either.

My bad I thought you were part of the anti-Taylor machine based on the comment.

There is no one way to take Tyrod out.........that's why he hasn't gone south under the circumstances he's faced..........he's not Trent Edwards or JP Losman he's a legit QB.

Todd Bowles has game planned for Taylor 5 times now........with mixed results......... but he was aware that there was neither a blitz beating YAC receiver in the slot or a blitz killing HR threat on the outside.

So he blitzed.   Clean up the run on the way to the QB and take your chances against the Bills receivers.

Taylor responded.......he got sacked twice on one drive and converted the first one after being 2nd and 24 and nearly the second one(before Matthews fumble) after starting at second down and 19.    Taylor played well......the team around him.........not so much.

That's not how you handle Taylor...........that's how you handle a run blocking OL and feeble receiving corps that you don't have to respect.

7 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Not every team has a DL like the Jets.   So there is a bit of over generalization here.

I would agree with that. But they laid out the perfect scheme for their personnel, and that lends itself to the OP about being figured out.

Just now, 4_kidd_4 said:

I would agree with that. But they laid out the perfect scheme for their personnel, and that lends itself to the OP about being figured out.

They figured out that the WR corps was feeble and didn't warrant safety attention...........and that's why the safeties were around the LOS or in the backfield all night.

Hopefully with Benjamin in the lineup and Clay back that changes things A LOT.    

Teams eventually figure out how to combat everything - that's why you have to adapt, change, and "be multiple".  If you do one thing and expect that it's always going to work, you will be unemployed soon.  Rex basically admitted that teams had "caught up" to his defense the week before he was canned.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They figured out that the WR corps was feeble and didn't warrant safety attention...........and that's why the safeties were around the LOS or in the backfield all night.

Hopefully with Benjamin in the lineup and Clay back that changes things A LOT.    

Agree totally re: getting some help out wide.

I'm sure that it plays a role, but it's no different for any other team. But this is year one of McBeane. Jauron and Gailey had hot starts in their second year as head coach.  

A big part of how teams separate themselves from the pack down the stretch is how they adjust and adapt to the complications they face throughout the season.  In week one, the Bills dominated the offensive line and had the upper hand on the defensive line for the most part. That may have given the Bills a false sense of security going into Thursday night, and the Jets clearly weren't going to be embarrassed by the Bills in the trenches in the second go around. You could see it in the Jets' preparation on the very first play. 

We'll see how this staff and team adjusts from here, but I think this team is better built and structured in the FO than those previous Bills teams. I'm certainly more confident in this team.

Thursday's game will have either been what the doctor ordered, or the beginning of the end this year. Based on what we've seen so far, and with key guys getting healthy, I don't see why they can't make a run, but anything can happen.