TRADE: Kelvin Benjamin to Buffalo

Rubes

This is what I figured.......and that leaves them without much speed/quickness in a 3 WR set.

I think Matthews was probably gone after the season either way but I think getting Benjamin makes it far more likely because IMO you want to have Benjamin working on the same side as another receiver(Z) so you can run some route combinations to give him separation. The X position should be for your field stretcher, IMO.

Matthews ran 4.44 and his low 4.34. Jones ran 4.45 and his low was 4.38. That sounds pretty fast to me.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You need to read/listen more critically. They said they were pleased with the strides Dareus had been making. That does not mean "Yep, we're totally happy with where he's at and we're keeping him, 100%!"

Beane said he did not "expect" any more moves yesterday. That does not mean "Hey, FO staff and reporters: Shut it down guys, go home. My phone is in airplane mode the rest of the day and I'm going to Bed Bath & Beyond with the missus."

This. I can't believe someone accused him of LYING about not making a move before the deadline. He said he didn't expect any moves. The trade was made at the very last minute. How would he even know it could be done?

@buffalobills

Kelvin Benjamin has arrived. #GoBillsNFL_2017_BUFBills_v2.png

GracefulSecretFawn-size_restricted.gif

Man, he sure looks good for a guy I keep hearing is tremendously overweight. :w00t:

Exactly what I was thinking. Fat load!

Matthews ran 4.44 and his low 4.34. Jones ran 4.45 and his low was 4.38. That sounds pretty fast to me.

I’m not saying this is inaccurate, just surprised Matthews ran that fast. He doesn’t seem to display that kind of speed.

Im not saying this is inaccurate, just surprised Matthews ran that fast. He doesnt seem to display that kind of speed.

Straight line track speed doesn t always translate to the field but a lot of people saying how slow they are made me investigate.

Edited by Turk71

Who mentioned Watkins first in this thread!? I have a few guesses!

Rams play the Giants this week and Janoris Jenkins is suspended, bump that Sammy Watch thread and claim victory!!!

Benjamin is a much better player. Better blocker for a running offense and a red zone target for a QB who leaned on a less talented Justin Hunter successfully last year in the same role.

Push on McBeane they will see the light soon.

Yea but Sammy had major injury questions and was gone after the year or would cost huge $$.. Also we got an immediate starting CB and 2nd Rd pick..

I think Zay hasn't produced as envisioned and when Matthews and Clay were out, we were too thin at WR to win consistently..

Even if this was the case, Bills still won imo..

We essentially Gave up Sammy + a 3rd (1of2) , for Benjamin/Gaines and a 2nd ,I'd take the latter all day..

Not only that, but the bridge was burned by both sides last year.

I highly doubt they regret trading Sammy, not at all...but they did see a need to add more talent to the WR corp.

Personally I think they should have KB and Deonte Thompson outside with Matthews starting in the slot. You have the speed guy in DT, the size guy in KB, and a tough matchup in the slot in JM. Zay can get in on 4-WR sets and then take over the slot next year when I expect they'll let JM walk.

Another way of looking at it.

McBeane basically made the following player-for-player trade...

CB Ron Darby and QB Cardale Jones

FOR

WR Kelvin Benjamin and WR Jordan Matthews

Fair enuf but there's another take imo. Lots here wanted Mike Williams in the last draft (with reason, and he went high in the first round). Williams and KB are basically the same receiver type. They beat up on smaller corners and win jump balls/ are redzone targets. True Williams is a bit faster but Benjamin is experienced and has already proven that he can not only play but excel in this League and even the most talented rooks have some bust/underperformance risk associated with them. And KB is only 26. So I think we traded a third and a seventh (both bearing some performance risk) for a high first rounder viz the 2017 class at least that is a more proven commodity. And Beane saying that they had a mid- first round grade on him in the 2014 class is saying a lot.

The question in my mind is whether Tyrod has the stones to throw it to him when he does not gain much separation.

Edited by starrymessenger

Dude was a perfect fit for Buffalo.

I wish he was my neighbor, two doors down though.

Very delighted about Kelvin being a Bill. I wanted to say it again in case no one read threw the thread and the other five times i said that.

Rare occasion something pushes all the right buttons for me with Bills.

I wonder how long they have been working this deal? seriously.

Hope all learn to love the Kid in a couple years. Hope he earns the extension we know we already want him to get lol.

Beane scores bonus points on this one tactically.

No Tank for you Bills Fans!

fooled everyone.

EVERYONE

Now Tyrod ? go get them extra reps with your boys

Go Bills !

Edited by 3rdand12

Lets not forget Deonte Thompson - 4.31

I remember being impressed by Thompson and disappointed when the Bills let him go. Glad he is back, hope he sticks and gets some opportunity. The Bills suddenly have a pretty solid group.

This is what I figured.......and that leaves them without much speed/quickness in a 3 WR set.

I think Matthews was probably gone after the season either way but I think getting Benjamin makes it far more likely because IMO you want to have Benjamin working on the same side as another receiver(Z) so you can run some route combinations to give him separation. The X position should be for your field stretcher, IMO.

I do not think we have really seen enough from Matthews whilst in Buffalo to have a fair opinion. Lets keep in mind when his injury occurred and how he played through that. I imagine that sternum is lingering all season.

I see why you consider him gone theoretically for sure.

and yes speed must be available. Deonte is not that guy for you ?

Personally I think they should have KB and Deonte Thompson outside with Matthews starting in the slot. You have the speed guy in DT, the size guy in KB, and a tough matchup in the slot in JM. Zay can get in on 4-WR sets and then take over the slot next year when I expect they'll let JM walk.

That sounds pretty good, Jones can have a little more time to acclimate and develop. He broke records as a slot receiver in college and has been playing as a wideout mostly this year.

Edited by Turk71